Back to At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC

Learner Reviews & Feedback for At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC by Sapienza University of Rome

Which are the deepest roots of that mix of cultures that we use to call ‘Mediterranean Civilization’? Which are comminglings and exchanges which produced its most complete fruit, i.e. the city, a place for landscape-modelling communities? And which elements did contribute to build up that baulk of customs, ideas, and innovations which compelled to confrontation and hybridizations different peoples for millennia? What did it made, from pottery to metallurgy, from gastronomy to architecture, from art to religion, of a sea a cradle of civilization? Archaeology may help in disentangling such questions, seeking unexpected answers , by tinkering what ancient Mediterranean peoples left buried in the ground. A privileged point of view of our course is the ancient Phoenician city of Motya, located exactly at the centre of the “sea in the middle”. Throughout the live experience of excavation, with images taken on the field, this course will let you touch the many tesserae of the great mosaic of the Mediterranean Civilization. The field diary of the archaeologist, and the handpick will be the two tools, which will lead us across the sea to discover what such early cities actually were, and how their contribute is still a major part of our shared memory....

DA

Aug 10, 2017

wonderful explanation along with good slides and maps and incredible readings\n\nbut the main organization was my favorite part because I learned so much about ancient cities as well as Motya

A

Jul 29, 2017

A very informative and interesting study of the origins of Mediterranean civilization. The course is packed with examples and explanations and delivered by the superb Prof. Nigro

26 - 50 of 115 Reviews for At the Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization: Archaeology of the City from the Levant to the West - 3rd-1st millennium BC

By Cecilia H

Jul 24, 2020

This was such an enlightening and interesting course that helped introduce me to some of the founders of Mediterranean civilisation. Thank you so much for all the hard work put in to creating this course, amazing work!

By CRAN

Jul 05, 2018

Excellent cours, présenté avec beaucoup de pédagogie. Riche et varié. Très bonnes illustrations et documentation bien structurée. Bravo au professeur Nigro et son équipe. J'espère pouvoir assister à un autre cours !

By SHIVSAM B

Sep 08, 2020

This was really good and gave a nice view and gist of how archeology is super interesting and how we as humans traversed places and evolved our cultures and practices due to the various things we faced.

By Adrián D G L

Feb 24, 2020

A very interesting course, indeed. I feel that I want to know much more about the hitite and mittani empires, and also from Carthage. Thank you for accesibilizing knowledge for our world!!

Aug 14, 2018

This was my first time studying anything related to the Phoenician civilization. I enjoyed how much of the lecture was on the field in Motya. The professor's English was surprisingly good.

By Beatriz m D

Sep 11, 2020

It has been a great course.Very easy,although archeology is not my thing.Thanks to teacher and to see if someone is encouraged to make a mooc about my country,España.Goodbay,Adiós.

By alejandro

Jul 29, 2017

By daniela p

Nov 02, 2018

este curso es muy bueno te ayuda a aprender mas acerca de nuestro hermoso pasado su cultura, arquitectura , su sociedad entre otras cosas

muchas gracias

saludos desde VENEZUELA

By Eduardo T

Nov 25, 2019

Wonderful course, very recommended for everyone interested in the subject. It was a real honor to study such a course with Professor Nigro.

Many thanks for this oportunity

By Zhenkun H

Sep 27, 2020

A really interesting class with an exciting form of teaching. I have got a better understanding of this period and I really appreciate the professor and this course.

By Dr. S S I

Apr 22, 2020

Awesome and Fantastic...Enriching and Enlightening Experience....Feeling Blessed to learn so many new things. Looking forward for more Interaction and Activities

By Abigayle D

Jun 27, 2020

Professor Nigro is engaging and conveys information exceptionally well. His passion for archaeology is very evident, and I would highly recommend this class.

By JOHN Q

May 27, 2017

Very enjoyable class which provides evidence of the origins of Mediterranean Civilization with insights as to how these origins are known. Thanks so much!

By Angelina W

Jul 03, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot about little-known ancient civilization. I highly recommend this course to any Western ancient historian.

By Eduardo L P

Dec 02, 2019

Excellent introduction to Phoenician expansion in the Mediterranean - in particular the process of interplay of Greek/Levantine cultures.

Grazie!

By Carlos H

Jul 19, 2020

Muchas gracias Profesor, no tenía conocimiento de algunos aspectos de los fenicios, me sirvió mucho este curso para profundizar en ello.

By Jiayang T

Dec 30, 2018

The course shows a lot of artifacts and excavation sites, and it's helpful to understand the ancient architectures.

By Andreia C G G

May 12, 2020

Thank you so much for this amazing journey. It was a lovely course to do about an amazing ancient civilization.

By Alexandre M

Feb 01, 2018

Big title MOOC very much just about a small island, Motya, but great content and entertaining course.

By patricia a

Apr 20, 2020

It has been a very interesting course, full of information, quality videos and intereseting stuff.

By Christopher R

Nov 18, 2019

I really enjoyed this course - took it in unison with Archaeoastronomy from Polytecnico di Milano.

By Andy E

Dec 20, 2019

This was an excellent course which was both informative and enjoyable. Thank you for offering it!

By David L

Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so much! I've learnt a lot. The course was very interesting and presented excellently.

By ODASSO V

Aug 21, 2020

C'est un excellent cours très enrichissant et les explications du professeur sont très claires.

By Alexandre R P

Aug 08, 2017

It was an amazing course, I'm sad it is already finished. I'm really already missing it.