Back to The Arduino Platform and C Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Arduino Platform and C Programming by University of California, Irvine

The Arduino is an open-source computer hardware/software platform for building digital devices and interactive objects that can sense and control the physical world around them. In this class you will learn how the Arduino platform works in terms of the physical board and libraries and the IDE (integrated development environment). You will also learn about shields, which are smaller boards that plug into the main Arduino board to perform other functions such as sensing light, heat, GPS tracking, or providing a user interface display. The course will also cover programming the Arduino using C code and accessing the pins on the board via the software to control external devices. Please note that this course does not include discussion forums. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Outline the composition of the Arduino development board 2. Describe what it means to program the board's firmware 3. Read board schematics 4. Install Arduino IDE 5. Describe what "shields" are and how they are used 6. Specify the role of libraries in the use of shields 7. Compile and run a program 8. Name C Variables and Types 9. Name common C operators 10. Use conditionals and loops 11. Explain functions, their definition and invocation 12. Explain the implications of global variables 13. Undertake the Arduino build process 14. Describe the role of the tools behind the IDE 15. Describe how to invoke functions in classes 16. Explain the structure of an Arduino sketch 17. Access the pins of the Arduino 18. Differentiate between digital and analog pin 19. Debug embedded software 20. Explain the importance of controllability and observability in the debugging process 21. Describe common debugging architectures for embedded systems 22. Explain how the UART Serial communication protocol works 23. Describe how the Arduino Serial library performs serial communication...

MR

Aug 8, 2016

A very good course to teach you the basics of Arduino platform and IDE. It'll help you get started on how to code your programs and lets you build up on it. I'd definitely recommend for a beginner.

MK

Aug 6, 2017

very good course to have basic understanding of C programming software , Arduino software which is explained in a very simple language where i was finding difficult before attending this course

1126 - 1150 of 1,524 Reviews for The Arduino Platform and C Programming

By davewis

Sep 3, 2016

The lecturer and structure were very good. Five Stars.

Sadly, I felt the course could have used a bit more substance. Less than hour of lectures per week and only one programming assignment left me wanting more. By contrast after taking https://www.coursera.org/learn/matlab/home/welcome I realy felt like I had a grasp on the material.

By Binod

Aug 20, 2017

Really I enjoyed this course, as it refresh all my old memory for C programming and provide easy way to explain Arduino code. On top one interesting topic was there on micro controller communication. I would like to recommend this course if you are really going to start coding on Arduino. Thanks Sir !!

By Parth g

Sep 16, 2020

A very good course to teach you the basics of Arduino platform and IDE. It'll help you get started on how to code your programs and lets you build upon it. I'd definitely recommend for a beginner. There is a need to make it more interactive. Like discussion form otherwise, most of us are on our own.

By Akshiv A

This course is very good. It helps me to understand concepts more clearly. Its peer assignments are good too but they can be better and little bit more hard . However if the amount of peer assignment was more then it would be more better. Thank you Coursera and Professor Ian Harris.

By Sri S M P K

Dec 20, 2018

This course was very elaborate and informative. Prof. Ian G. Harris is a very good teacher and it is very interesting listening his class. I wish the assignments could be a little more challenging and would be better if they are checked by professors along with the peer grading.

By vinay s

Nov 24, 2019

This course serves the purpose of an Introduction to Arduino platform (a very basic introduction).

Even though most of the information regarding the Arduino platform is available freely on the website Arduino.cc ; this course provides a more structured approach to the platform.

By Manoj W

Apr 3, 2021

The course has provided a lot of new information for me, even though I am not a beginner. Well planned course. But I would like to see more on-hand practical lessons. The final projects are a bit easy. But it has provided new insights to my understanding about Arduino.

By Biplav S K

Oct 12, 2020

This is a nice course to start with Arduino and c programming. The instructor has explained almost everything about the Arduino at the very basic level requiring the learner to dig deep and play around for a better understanding of concepts which I think is a good thing.

By Hector J

Mar 24, 2019

I liked this course more than the first one, it has a lot of simple information on the input and outputs of an Arduino IDE. The professor gives a lot information on the code behind Arduino and that helped get the big picture of programming with Arduino.

By Vicky S

Nov 10, 2018

I liked the course overall. I think some of the topics can be replaced by some practical projects . This course only has one partial working project(LED Blink). This course focus more on theory part than its practical applications.

By Suprajith H

Jul 30, 2016

A very good course. It does not teach you everything about C programming but does a very good job of teaching the bare minimum required to understand and implement simple C programs.

The Arduino Platform is very well explained.

By Sarvagya V

Apr 14, 2021

It was an awesome experience doing the course. The Lecturer is really cool. I gave a star less because the courses missed on coding and practical videos. Rest everything is awesome. I learned a lot of new things. Thank you!

By KIRAN K A

Jan 17, 2016

Had joined for free(non-specialization), it was good. Got a basic overview on ardunio. I had never worked on ardunio, but on AVR microcontroller. If you are looking for basic overview, its really good. Thanks to coursera :)

By Amanda W

Mar 25, 2020

Very new to coding and a bit more instruction on the syntax of the C language would have been helpful, but with books/internet I was able to do the assignments - they were challenging for a beginner but not impossible.

By Ariel M

Feb 22, 2017

Very good introduction to arduino programming and the platform in general. However i expected it to be a more in depth course, however i would recommended it to anyone who just bought an arduino for the first time.

By victor a

Dec 14, 2016

I'm auditing this series and decided to use the autodesk simulator, highly recommended tool. Overall this class is a practical hands on approach to the subject matter. Enjoyed the presentation and topics.

By Lakshantha D

Oct 3, 2016

Good introductory course

This course explains the basics of Arduino and explains C programming which is essential for Arduino sketches.This course motivated me in further learning about the Arduino.

By Asena K

Apr 15, 2021

I like the instructor a lot and his teaching is amazing. Also I had the opportunity to work with Arduino board and get hands on it. But overall course level was too easy for me in terms of coding.

By Константин А

Dec 9, 2015

Nice course for beginners, I actually enjoyed it. Just same remark as for previous one - please review text of subtitles, it's really awful and I guess it's even funny for native english speakers

By Tejas S K

Sep 1, 2020

I enjoyed a lot during this course and also learned some great arduino lessons and practicals. I can confidently tell you that I can do some actual arduino programs in real time applications.

By Poorvaj R V

Oct 1, 2018

The programming questions lack a little clarity on what the output is as expected. It creates a small confusion. Otherwise, a great course to learn and study. Great conceptualizations.

By Johnson N

Nov 7, 2017

You'll learn about the basic fundamentals to get started with arduino. The only gripe I have is that assignments are marked by peers. This makes it problematic when timing is not good.

By Jerome B

Oct 5, 2017

I liked the challenging quizzes and exercices. The last week of classes content about debugging was a little overkill in my opinion. I would have preferred to go deeper in programming.

By Jonas H

Dec 5, 2019

The lecturer explains everything from button up in detail. This gives a nice overview about the arduino platform. I wished there would have been more input about actual programming.

By Kartik H

Feb 11, 2017

It is a very a nice course from my point of view. Teaching standard is good and the way classes have been distinguished become helpful to learn the core concept behind the Arduino.