Back to Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life by The University of Edinburgh

Learn about the origin and evolution of life and the search for life beyond the Earth....

KG
Jul 24, 2020

A great opportunity to learn a lot of things especially in terms of seeking the origin of life here on our planet Earth and beyond in the vast universe. Thank you for the knowledge and everything.

VS
Sep 15, 2020

26 - 50 of 557 Reviews for Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life

By Nikola C

Feb 9, 2020

A great introductory course for those that have an interest on how life could possibly survive elsewhere other than Earth. I am self-educated by the means of reading and watching documentaries and this course peaked my interest. I was able to follow and understand the modules discussed, even though I haven't had any formal study for the past 15 years.

The structure of the course was simple and well-thought through which I thoroughly enjoyed!

By Susann

May 21, 2019

Excellent course by Professor Cockell from the University of Edinburgh. The lectures are interesting and easy to follow. A wide variety of subject are covered and presented very well. I did speed up the videos a little bit. Only point of criticism I have: In one of the quiz questions one possible answer is "about a decade ago". This of cause does not work well in a course that is online for a longer time.

By James W

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent course! I'm an electrical engineer, not an astronomer nor biologist. However, I've always been interested in both topics. This course delved into both just enough where I stayed focused and understood everything. Each course was extremely interesting and I learned many new things in each. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the science behind the search for extraterrestrial life!

By Nicholas K

Nov 4, 2018

The Astrobiology course is a brilliant MOOC which briefly explains the basic principles of astrobiology but also some extremely interesting facts in this field. The course has a nice and steady flow which is easy to follow and the deadlines are flexible and easy to manage. Overall, I really enjoyed spending my time on this course. It was the perfect way to learn more on this field. Astrobiology rocks!!.

By Oriane K

May 13, 2017

Very interesting. I enjoyed learning more about biosignatures detections and proper conditions for life on other planets. I recommend this course for everyone interested in the subject. Please note the course seems to date back to 2013, and new discoveries have been made afterwards - like the TRAPPIST-1 system found in 2015 and recently announced by the NASA. But the fundamental notions remain the same.

By Diana D B

Sep 3, 2015

This is a terrific course! I really enjoyed Dr. Cockrell's lecture style. He is very articulate and presents and explains the material very well. The photos and graphics were very useful for following the lectures and understanding the material.

I found the "What Have We Learned" summaries after each lecture very helpful. I would like to take more courses offered by Dr. Cockrell in the future.

By Khushali B

Oct 20, 2020

It was very good investing my time in this course. The content and structure of the course is good enough to give you almost intermediate level of knowledge on the subject of astrobiology and most important benefit is that anybody who is completely unaware of the subject can also take up the course and understand everything that is explained. I enjoyed reading and learning from this course.

By Rosa S

Mar 22, 2018

I would strongly reccomend this course to anyone who would like to have a first approach to the outstanding topic of Astrobiology. I was always fascinated by such argument, and this course have provided me the basic notions on it. Now I know which specific topics I would like to deepen. Moreover, prof. Cockell has the hability to make every subject understandable and interesting.

By Prem K B

Aug 14, 2020

The course was good and was specific. Though the field of astrobiology is still in its very initial stages but the updation is required to the course as many new space missions and discoveries has been made. The case studies were good and quite ample but there is incorporation of case studies related to new space programmes. Nevertheless, the course was smooth and comprehensive.

By Amber S

Jan 24, 2020

Very interesting course. I studied this topic in my biology degree and wanted to learn some more about astrobiology. It was interesting and engaging. The tests were fair, not too easy, not too hard - the right level of challenge. I recommend the course! Maybe for a beginner to the topic, it could be hard at first with the new vocabulary, but the course is well explained

By Shivani D

May 3, 2020

This course has broadened my perspective on the origins of life on Earth, its evolution and the possible existence of extraterrestrial life. Professor Cockell and the University of Edinburgh has provided a great introductory programme to astrobiology, and it has confirmed my interest to pursue related studies at university. Thank you for such an invigorating course!

By Coleen M

Aug 16, 2020

I have always been interested in astronomy and astrobiology, so I was extremely excited when I came across this course. Lecture material was not only interesting but concepts were explained simply and concisely. This was a great introductory course and I would recommend it to anyone who is also interested in learning more about astrobiology. Thank you!

By Temesgen k D

Aug 3, 2020

The course is very interesting and covered many aspects to understand the origin of life on our planet. The evolution of life on our planet. And the possibilities of life elsewhere. In addition, it covers many aspects of the universe related to life and helps us to do more research in the areas to answer questions that are open and not concluded yet.

By Sidhartha S S

Nov 11, 2018

First of all, thank you for such a wonderful course. Special thanks to prof. Cockell for teaching in such an informative and relatable way. After this course my love and fascination for this subject has increased. Let's see how far our civilization goes succeed in finding extra terrestrial intelligence. Once again thanks for these wonderful lectures.

By David H

Apr 28, 2020

Five-stars. Thank-you Charles Cockell for a must interesting and informative course - even if I did realise towards the end the course is at least five years old, so some of the material is out of date.

But still I can catch up by continuing to watch Charles' "Life in the Universe Pandemic Series". I could certainly recommend this course to others.

By Karen D

Sep 11, 2018

This course was extremely helpful and exciting for an aspiring astrobiologist like myself.

The instructor explained everything very clearly and was very direct.

My favorite part was when he talked about the possibility of life in our solar system, such as on Europa and Titan.

He made learning about astrobiology exciting and fun. I was never bored.

By Eda S

Jun 17, 2020

I gained so many informations of the history and development of astrobiology as a new subject to lean into. The best thing while learning methods and researches done for the field, the course, has been prepared to seek out reasons and raise scientific questions in our heads for further investigation ourselves. Thank you Prof. Cockell!

By Jean-Simon L C

May 2, 2020

Very engaging and fascinating course. I was very interested in astrobiology beforehand, but this course inspired me to pursue a career in Planetary Science!

For my first course on coursera, I am very impressed an wish to continue learning on this platform. Thank you very much for giving me a sense of meaning in these Covid times!

By Daniela V D

Mar 3, 2016

I really enjoyed it, the first modules where the ones i consider more important and tho it was pretty informative i would like to recommend the update of a few lectures and data of the same. In the case of the arrival of the spacecraft new horizons, i mean. But in general i really liked it, it compliments my college formation.

By Pratika P

Aug 23, 2015

Amazing! Thank you professor. Easily one of the best professors I've come across. The course was not too complicated, at the same time it was extremely understandable. May there be many more courses like this on the subject (as it develops and spreads worldwide). Cheers! Highly recommended. Thanks again! Thank you Coursera!

By Lauren S

Oct 18, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. I felt like some of the videos from the first week were a little too long, I preferred the shorter ones, and there was a mix up where the second week ended up being due before the first week which threw me off a little but the content itself was very interesting and I'm glad I took part in it.

By David D

May 23, 2019

This was an outstanding course. The material presented was varied and interesting, the quizzes well constructed and kudos to Charles Cockell who presented this so well. I like his approach of referring to his iPad but being able to deliver the course without constantly reading a tele prompter! This is rare - well done!

By Malvi P G

Nov 9, 2018

An interesting course with a good explanation of basic concepts. The flow of the course expands the spectrum of thought and understanding of astrobiology and extraterrestrial intelligence. It also allows one to think for oneself if certain implications about aliens are outlandish yet logical or logical yet outlandish.

By Nitya P

Dec 29, 2019

Course contents are very interesting, and easy to understand. Even though my background is mathematics and Physics, I didn't feel any difficulty to understand the fundamentals of specially biology part. Another thing which I liked is the study timing flexibility. Thank you very much coursera and Prof. Cockell.

By Stergos S

Oct 15, 2020

Excellent instructor.Highly recommended. I was motivated throughout the whole the course. I gained good understanding of the field of Astrobiology. Great material and excellent representation. The delivery of the lessons was smooth, structured and well-organised. I liked the review at the end of each lecture.