Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG

Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.

Please allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

AD

Jun 27, 2022

Instructors have provided concise explanations of the concepts. There are many examples considered that make statistics easier to understand! Also, the illustrations are fancy. I enjoyed every video!

851 - 875 of 1,024 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Shreyans B

Jun 27, 2020

Enroll only if you already know R. Also, the R Lab assignments are trash. The probability topics are not so well explained but the statistics part is good enough

By SURESH M

Feb 24, 2019

Thank you for training course, this course very useful. your course informative and interactive which gave us practices and examples all are most important.

By Dorothy L M

May 2, 2016

Great class, but I wish there were more practice problems. Statistics is a very important concept to learn for any field, and I highly recommend this class.

By Sandeep L

Jan 23, 2019

First 3 modules are very good. Going from basic statistics to basic probability. 4th module onward it is not basic anymore. I would split it into 2 parts.

By Donald M

Apr 14, 2018

Very good course covering the basics of statistics and the r statistical software. Most of it very well explained with helpful examples, would recommend.

By SathishKumar P

Apr 1, 2019

Content of course is well explained through videos. The questions in the assignment make us to solve the problems to answer the questions was useful

By Wilkinson M

Nov 13, 2016

Love the lectures and the way everything is organized in the course, however the information or instructions provided by the labs seem incomplete.

By Numra S

Feb 28, 2022

I am very happy for comleting this course and the teachers are very good and professionals in there field.This course is actually not tough.

By Suvinava B

Apr 29, 2020

Very good course with good videos. Videos were very interesting and engaging. The example video at the end of each week was very helpful.

By Hiro

Jun 19, 2018

good starting course for probability and statistics. Ideally for the people who have left school and wanted to pick up math thingy again.

By Jade O

Feb 10, 2022

I got the basic concepts from this course. Some parts were more difficult and did not make sense with the explanations from the teacher.

By Jose R

May 18, 2019

A nice course, I really learned. I think some of the themes should be more explained, specifically themes corresponding to week 3 and 4.

By Nik E

Oct 31, 2018

Very enjoyable course with some great, relatable examples. I found the probability modules (3&4) very tough but got there in the end.

By Ioana D

Feb 10, 2017

Very helpful for beginners, the examples are very well chosen to help you understand the meaning of all the mathematical formulas.

By LiangRui

May 23, 2020

The concepts are well explained, the learning path well researched and above everything the R labs were ideal for the beginners.

By Sara B

Oct 31, 2017

Clear explanations, very useful indeed.

It helps you you get familiar with basic statistical concepts and to begin to use R.

By Weston M

Apr 27, 2021

It was pretty solid. Wouldn't necessarily recommend the course specifically, but I definitely wouldn't recommend against it

By Luciano M T

Jan 19, 2017

It's everything I needed to keep running with Data Scientist Specialization preparing.

Thank you so much for your support!

By MAGNATA, A (

Oct 1, 2019

The course is absolutely helpful. I will of course study again a number of topics but all in all it was really helpful.

By Noorida R

Jun 18, 2017

Great course! However, for the final exam, it was difficult to review which question was answered correct or incorrect.

By Ahmed O

May 11, 2019

perfect course need to be supported with some free material, even those explained as presentations or PDFs. Thanks.

By S M A K S

Sep 13, 2020

Statistics was my weak area. But this course made it easy for me. I think I can study some deep part of statistics

By Nguemeni C

May 24, 2016

Excellent course and well taught by both instructors. 4 stars because of the lack of feedback on quizzes and exam.

By Maria D A C

Feb 21, 2016

So far a very nice course, well explained and clear enough to be followed even by non mathematicians. Well done!

By Shreya G

Feb 11, 2016

It's wonderful how teacher have broken down each and every concept. Examples helps in clearing the concept well.