Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

JB
Sep 8, 2020

Thank You, @University_of_Amsterdam for this wonderful course. I have really benefited a lot from this course. Thank you, Dr. Matthijs Rooduijn for making this course so lively and interesting!!

126 - 150 of 884 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Ariane A

Apr 22, 2016

Great and clear videos, they make it very easy to understand all the concepts even if you don't know anything about the topic. The R-lab assignments are a great tool for getting usedt to working with what you have learned.

By Paúl C

Sep 25, 2017

I have had to reschedule this course several times because of time constrains. However, now that I am picking it up to finish it I feel like for the first time in a statistics course I remember what I have learned so far.

By Hardik G

Sep 11, 2016

This is a brilliant course to learn statistics from scratch. The instructors are too good and their teaching methods and examples are very lucid. A must visit course for everyone who wants to get their statistics correct

By Pranit D U

I'm really thankful to the "Basic Statistics - University of Amsterdam" course team for making this course available. They taught the logical subjects of probability and statistics in the most intuitive manner possible.

By Faisal A

Jun 6, 2016

I am a physician... love this course. Highly recommend it. Even if you don't complete the tests, it is extremely useful to all physicians, residents and medical professionals and to anyone who wants to know statistics.

By Lynn R C

May 12, 2020

Wording is sometimes a little vague, both in questions and videos. Notation is a bit inconsistent. Otherwise, it's a nice, basic course. I especially liked the R exercises and tried to do them *before* the quizzes.

By Ian T J C

Feb 6, 2016

This course is an excellent, comprehensive, introduction to Stats. It is challenging, but in a very good way. Expectations are set sufficiently high that you need to grasp the concepts to succeed. Excellent MOOC!!

By Daniela F

Aug 1, 2016

Me parece un excelente curso, queda muy claro los temas en cada vídeo. Mi único problema ha sido la traducción de los términos en español, a veces necesito saber qué significa en español para entender totalmente.

By Zuwena W

Nov 25, 2020

This course really makes complex concepts easy to understand. The artist who created the visuals did an excellent job! The presenters explain clearly and concisely. Well done! Informative! Visually interesting!

By Aygul S

Jul 29, 2020

Very good course for refreshing Basic Statistics knowledges. Thanks a lot to lecturers for very live explanations and interesting examples. Good looking decor of the course don't let you get bored. Thanks a lot!

By Jiajing G

Jun 15, 2018

The course gave me a broad view of the foundation and statistics. It offers much details and it is really fun to watch the videos! The quiz and R lab are efficient to assess our learning too. Highly recommended.

By Raghubir S

Jan 4, 2018

This course helped me to understand the basic concepts of Statistics. I would highly recommend everyone who has struggling with statistics concepts. I would like to say a big thank the instructors of the course.

By Chaitanya L

Aug 8, 2020

The course is well-structured and touched all the key aspects of the basic statistics. Quiz problems at the end of each module are well-framed to bring the analytical and mathematical skills out of the student.

By Sheela R

Dec 31, 2020

It was a big opportunity to learn in depth concept of Basic Statistics from Coursera course.

All the lectures are very easy to understand and it allowed to me learn fast and quick.

Thank you Coursera.

By eda b

Dec 29, 2020

I enjoyed so much during the course . examples that was given in videos are complement for understaning topics. In my opinion Everyone who are deficient for statistic must take course regardless.

By Rosa A B G

Apr 27, 2018

SO AMAZING

I was a little afraid of statistics before I took this course and I thought it might get boring or very dry, but with a professor that great this is hardly possible!

I really loved it!

By Gustavo M V

Jun 12, 2016

It's a great course to learn basic statistics.

The course structure is clear and well ordered, and the video lectures are friendly and well explained.

I'm pleased with the course.

Thanks people

By Kuei C T

Feb 7, 2016

This course is very beneficial to me.

It explains the theory very clearly and lively that we can easily learn the concepts.

Beside, R-lab helps me about the R language. This is very important.

By Ace Z

Sep 1, 2019

This course can be challenging, but it is indeed a very useful course if you do not have any knowledge about statistics. R assignment is also useful for it saves time for calculation.

By Mariana A F

May 10, 2019

I loved the course. I completed it in just 2 weeks and learnt everything I was supposed to learn in my basic college courses and didn't quite fully understood or had already forgotten

By Shuwen Y

Jul 9, 2016

great intro class to statistics. Love the animation, teaching style and R lab exercises. The first class in coursera that video content and quiz are relevant. Highly recommended!!!

By Tiantian Z

Feb 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this course. The teaching is straight and useful. Examples are very interesting and related to our daily life. I wound recommend this course to my friend!

By Jasper K

Oct 7, 2016

As a student of the UvA I have followed multiple courses on statistics as the university, and this coursera course comes very close to the level of those courses. (For free!)

By Tom W

Apr 20, 2016

Well structured course with engaging examples. I found the tests really helped me practice and learn the material. I will certainly take other courses in this specialization.

By Linfeng C

Jun 20, 2020

This course is well designed and the examples make the concepts easier to understand. There are also plenty of opportunities to apply the knowledge in the quizzes and R lab.