Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA
Jan 28, 2021

great course with good videos and examples. Very good course for learning the basic statistics. Unfortunately the week 3 is the most misunderstanding module, nevertheless very good and understanding

176 - 200 of 972 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Muhammad A M

Mar 13, 2019

The courses is very easy to understand and provide detail of material as well.

Instructor always give explanation to videos, so learner could catch the lesson

By Silvia M

Sep 23, 2017

This course makes statistics so pleasant to learn, while at the same time not sacrificing rigor or depth of learning. Very well put together and informative.

By Csaba V

Feb 14, 2016

I like the course very much so far. The pacing is excellent and the material is very well adjusted to learners without much previous knowledge of the field.

By Meriem F

May 9, 2020

Thank you very much , i really had a seriouse problem with understanding statistics specially probabilty your methods of explaining is very good ,thank you

By Juan J O O

May 20, 2017

Excellent! great work on the videow, content and learning objectives. I enjoyed it very much, but I'd like to see the correct answers in the final exam.

By Viviane G

Dec 2, 2019

Very complete course with reachable goals. It delivers good petite challenges weekly with interesting & clever short - lived videos. Thank you very much!

By Pam V

Oct 11, 2016

Great content, very useful and practical (applicable to nearly everything you ork with) and presented in a very interesting way. The Graphics are genious

By Amoru M

Jun 22, 2018

Very detailed and precise. It was time consuming to do each quiz and final exam but I'm sure that I've gained basic statistical skills from this course.

By Riddhiman B

Oct 6, 2017

Very interesting and informative course, good for people who have had no previous experience in statistics as well as those who have had prior knowledge

By Yaroslav S

May 26, 2016

IT is simply the best course i have seen here !

Well done !! It would be great to see some other courses like this! A big + to Universty of Amsterdam!

By Cheng-Hsin K

Jun 25, 2021

Very good lecture, and educational quiz and problem set. Although there are some questions that are very poorly worked but overall the class is great!

By Juan C Q

Jul 29, 2020

Great content and teachers! It's a well explained and carefully prepared course, totally recommended for those who are new to the statistics field.

By Louisa B

Sep 5, 2016

I use this course to better understand a statistic course I am following for my Psychology studies. Many thanks for the crystal clear explanations!

By James M

May 22, 2018

Useful course, and largely explained the fundamentals of statistics in an accessible, digestible manner. Enjoyed the inclusion of a course on R.

By Seth B

Jan 27, 2017

The lecturers are very engaging and clearly experts in the field. The concepts are explained and illustrated beautifully, with lots of examples.

By anna-lena l

Sep 28, 2018

thanks a lot for this great, interactive course! It made learning statistics very easy and fun - the additional R-module on data camp is great!

By Suneyna

Sep 21, 2017

I found this course very simple and interactive. One can't get bored during the lectures and understand every concept in a very simple manner.

By Pankaj A

Jul 27, 2017

Course is really well made foe beginners in statistics. This is relevant for me. I really like the details provided about topics in the course.

By Robert A C

Jul 4, 2016

The case studies and explanations are very clear, and the visuals really work to help understand the material. I strongly recommend the course.

By Santanu G

Jun 28, 2016

Brilliant formulated course with ample examples which makes the course really interesting! Recommended for first timers as well as refreshers!

By Reuben R T

Aug 5, 2020

Just a week, into it and already impressed by how both professors break down statistical concepts and make it digestible and fun to students!

By Andrea R

Jul 27, 2018

It was an excellent course. Teachers are easygoing people that taught me that Statistics subject is useful in every knowledge area. Thanks

By BHASKAR S

Oct 7, 2020

Truly Basic Statistics!!!! First time I have been able to really understand basic statistical concepts. Keep it up University of Amsterdam!

By VILLAPANDO, K D (

The knowledge offered by this course is excellent, since it tackles Basic Statistics in different manners, such as programming and lessons.

By Xiulin Y

Feb 16, 2020

This course is fantastic!!!! It makes me realize that I need to learn more in statistics. I will keep moving on!! Thank you sooooo much!!!