Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

JB
Sep 8, 2020

Thank You, @University_of_Amsterdam for this wonderful course. I have really benefited a lot from this course. Thank you, Dr. Matthijs Rooduijn for making this course so lively and interesting!!

251 - 275 of 861 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Ahmed S H

Oct 22, 2020

Really great course to understand the whole concepts of statistics and get your hands dirty with some R code

By Maya S

Aug 12, 2016

I sucked at math in high school, but this course is making me love math again. Excellent job, Amsterdam Uni.

By Sureshkumar L

Sep 8, 2019

nice course.. course structured easy to understand and hint help where you dont know how to proceed futher.

By K. N S K A G

Jun 10, 2019

Extremely helpful course. Laid my foundations for a hopefully bright future in Analytics and Data Science.

By vaishali m

Aug 31, 2017

I am loving this course, it has many real life examples to understand the concepts. Thanks for this course

By Theo G

Jan 29, 2016

Great explanations. Clear examples. I love the stories and the drawings. Good thought pedagogical concept.

By Pankaj K

Jan 16, 2016

Best course on statistics. Concepts explained in very simple language and through beautiful visualizations

By Hemant K P

Jan 6, 2020

Nice course. Professors explained concepts well. Basics were covered in detail with interesting examples.

By Markus W

May 7, 2016

Nice and challenging (despite the fact that most of the material was taught at school many years ago...)

By MANOJ K

Feb 14, 2016

This is best course on statistics.. at least for me who is comparatively new to it. I recommend it 100%.

By yanghb

Nov 8, 2017

Very Good lessons to learn Statistics, but it's better if we could pick Python/MataLab as alternatives.

By Tay J

Aug 7, 2017

Thank you! I think it was a good course. I have no particular problems or complaints about the course.

By DINESHKUMAR U

Jun 28, 2020

Course composition and the subject matter explanation is great, Thanks for the team and the professor

By Ashish T

Feb 2, 2020

I loved this course. Learned a lot. I hope the team can make a similar course on bayesian statistics.

By Siddharth

Mar 6, 2016

Very nicely created. Gets a bit too fast paced in the middle but still well worth taking this course.

By Do H L

Feb 27, 2016

Awesome course, very friendly to people who want to start learning R and practicing it straight away!

By Diego A

Feb 25, 2016

Very dynamic and enjoyable class, great instructors and combination of theory and hands-on exercises.

By Shenglan Z

Oct 16, 2020

The teachers impart those knowledge in such a lively way, full of interesting examples and insights.

By Kornelis P

Mar 29, 2019

This is an excellent introductory course into statistics especially if you're a soccer/football fan.

By Paula B

Aug 28, 2017

Very easy going course!

I highly recommend it for people who is willing to start to learn statistics!

By Dahir M H

Feb 2, 2017

This course is a very interesting course. It introduces the world of statistics. It is a good start.

By Julija P

Feb 4, 2017

Thank you very much for this course! I got many useful information and had lots of fun to study it.

By César R P M

Sep 15, 2019

Excelent course to review past knowledge about statistics, easy to understand and practica with R.

By Noel N

Aug 6, 2019

Very interactive course which gives great insight to the topics covered with interesting examples.

By Piyush V

Jun 13, 2016

Fantastic Instructors. Imparting complex concepts using simple examples is commendable. Thumbs up!