Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA
Jan 28, 2021

great course with good videos and examples. Very good course for learning the basic statistics. Unfortunately the week 3 is the most misunderstanding module, nevertheless very good and understanding

126 - 150 of 950 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By bisheng

Mar 8, 2016

I am at the third week, that is very well explained. Sometimes I may need to watch the video again, but in general I am very satisfied. I think it could be good both for people who want to learn and people who want to review.

By Anand P

Apr 9, 2016

Very illustrative relatable examples taken to explain in this course which indeed covering most of the concepts in the field of Statistics. Totally found the course very likeable and matching the expectations I had in mind.

By Mohit k a

Jun 1, 2021

The Course material is quite comprehensive and simple to understand. The quizes were great and had an appropriate difficulty. The R Labs could however be improved as the instructions and explanations were not quite enough.

By Vaibhav V (

Jun 13, 2020

This was a very nice and interesting course. I really liked the way it was arranged. The R Studio practice was educative and learnt the basic through DataCamp. A good course for beginners to learn statistics using Rstudio.

By Estefanía O R

Apr 13, 2020

I thought I was never going to be able to understand statistics until I took this course. I'm really glad I stuck to it, because the topics are explained in such a friendly way, along with great and uncomplicated examples.

By Simon K

May 3, 2019

Really well put together, they made it quite fun, produced at a high quality. However it not easy - there were some things that took me a lot of researching to understand. I guess that's the challenge of online learning...

By Ariane A

Apr 22, 2016

Great and clear videos, they make it very easy to understand all the concepts even if you don't know anything about the topic. The R-lab assignments are a great tool for getting usedt to working with what you have learned.

By Paúl C

Sep 25, 2017

I have had to reschedule this course several times because of time constrains. However, now that I am picking it up to finish it I feel like for the first time in a statistics course I remember what I have learned so far.

By Hardik G

Sep 11, 2016

This is a brilliant course to learn statistics from scratch. The instructors are too good and their teaching methods and examples are very lucid. A must visit course for everyone who wants to get their statistics correct

By Pranit D U

I'm really thankful to the "Basic Statistics - University of Amsterdam" course team for making this course available. They taught the logical subjects of probability and statistics in the most intuitive manner possible.

By Faisal A

Jun 6, 2016

I am a physician... love this course. Highly recommend it. Even if you don't complete the tests, it is extremely useful to all physicians, residents and medical professionals and to anyone who wants to know statistics.

By Lynn R C

May 12, 2020

Wording is sometimes a little vague, both in questions and videos. Notation is a bit inconsistent. Otherwise, it's a nice, basic course. I especially liked the R exercises and tried to do them *before* the quizzes.

By Ian T J C

Feb 6, 2016

This course is an excellent, comprehensive, introduction to Stats. It is challenging, but in a very good way. Expectations are set sufficiently high that you need to grasp the concepts to succeed. Excellent MOOC!!

By Daniela F

Aug 1, 2016

Me parece un excelente curso, queda muy claro los temas en cada vídeo. Mi único problema ha sido la traducción de los términos en español, a veces necesito saber qué significa en español para entender totalmente.

By Zuwena W

Nov 25, 2020

This course really makes complex concepts easy to understand. The artist who created the visuals did an excellent job! The presenters explain clearly and concisely. Well done! Informative! Visually interesting!

By Aygul S

Jul 29, 2020

Very good course for refreshing Basic Statistics knowledges. Thanks a lot to lecturers for very live explanations and interesting examples. Good looking decor of the course don't let you get bored. Thanks a lot!

By Jiajing G

Jun 15, 2018

The course gave me a broad view of the foundation and statistics. It offers much details and it is really fun to watch the videos! The quiz and R lab are efficient to assess our learning too. Highly recommended.

By Raghubir S

Jan 4, 2018

This course helped me to understand the basic concepts of Statistics. I would highly recommend everyone who has struggling with statistics concepts. I would like to say a big thank the instructors of the course.

By Chaitanya L

Aug 8, 2020

The course is well-structured and touched all the key aspects of the basic statistics. Quiz problems at the end of each module are well-framed to bring the analytical and mathematical skills out of the student.

By Dimitra A

Jan 29, 2021

By Sheela R

Dec 31, 2020

It was a big opportunity to learn in depth concept of Basic Statistics from Coursera course.

All the lectures are very easy to understand and it allowed to me learn fast and quick.

Thank you Coursera.

By eda b

Dec 29, 2020

I enjoyed so much during the course . examples that was given in videos are complement for understaning topics. In my opinion Everyone who are deficient for statistic must take course regardless.

By Rosa A B G

Apr 27, 2018

SO AMAZING

I was a little afraid of statistics before I took this course and I thought it might get boring or very dry, but with a professor that great this is hardly possible!

I really loved it!

By Gustavo M V

Jun 12, 2016

It's a great course to learn basic statistics.

The course structure is clear and well ordered, and the video lectures are friendly and well explained.

I'm pleased with the course.

Thanks people

By Kuei C T

Feb 7, 2016

This course is very beneficial to me.

It explains the theory very clearly and lively that we can easily learn the concepts.

Beside, R-lab helps me about the R language. This is very important.