Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG

Apr 21, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

DA

Aug 06, 2016

One of the best courses of statistics for the beginners. The concepts are well explained, the learning path well researched and above everything the R labs were ideal for the beginners.

201 - 225 of 799 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By yasir h

Oct 26, 2016

The illustrations and the teaching methodologies employed are way beyond what words can explain. A big Thanks to all of you!

By Shaun

Jun 25, 2019

Great instructional videos and other materials. This course has helped me achieve my goal of relearning statistical methods.

By Nattaya P

Oct 12, 2017

Excellent teaching, Excellent teacher. Easy to under stand. This course is very useful and helpful for unknown basic people.

By Leonel G

May 04, 2016

Excellent, clear to-the-point explanations supported by matching graphics and pace. About the best course I've taken so far.

By Jas F A C

Aug 05, 2020

I am happy to enroll in this course. I learn a lot of statistical knowledge especially applying statistics in R. Thank you

Jan 16, 2018

Exceptional learning experience, thanks to the team behind this. My gratitude to Coursera for this wonderful MOOC. Regards.

By chiara m

Jan 17, 2016

A difficult subject made easy and interesting.

I wish there more exercise to practise home in order to master the concepts.

By Carlos M G

Mar 04, 2016

Excelente curso, para aprender Estadistica Basica y un poco de R, como recomendacion les digo que es bueno tener el libro.

By Yohansa F

Mar 11, 2016

I have tried other statistic courses before but this is by far my favorite! Excellent lecturer who offers clear examples.

By Dmitry V

Mar 30, 2020

If you are looking for a course to start with Statistics, start from this. Great balance of theory and practical skills.

By varun k

Oct 01, 2019

Very engaging instructors, made the concepts stick. Excellently designed datacamp modules to help practice the concepts.

By Humberto C C

Feb 01, 2016

Magnific course, excellent professors, wonderful support material and presentations. Great leink woth DataCamp, love it

By Paulo A d A

Dec 23, 2018

Interesting enough, I first thought that I had grasped all concepts. But... I had to come back to review the material.

By Rahul M

Mar 12, 2016

Awesome Course for Beginners in Statistics as they clear examples for whatever they are teaching us. I love Coursera.

By Ian V

Aug 14, 2018

Very well taught, the lectures were nearly perfect. The R labs and quizzes had a few typos but nothing significant.

By Asim A

Feb 26, 2017

its very interesting course , its gave me insight about statistics which i did not have knowledge about it before .

By shehjar k

Mar 18, 2016

Great explanation with real world examples! My basics of probability and inferential statistics are rock solid now!

By Rizzardig

Feb 16, 2016

Clear, simple but engaging.

The three lessons about R have been a fun.

I'm looking forward to start the next session.

By Wilson S J

Jun 19, 2016

It's an excellent course. All the content is simple and easy to follow.

Congratulations for such a great didactic.

By Taras H

Mar 01, 2016

Five stars without any doubts.

Useful and exciting learning experience, as for me.

Thanks to the Instructional Team!

By Krittaboon T

Apr 07, 2020

This is very useful course as it recaptures all statistical concepts I already forget. Now I feel more confident!

By Damian S

Apr 10, 2019

Perfect! You can learn a lot and get solid basics according to statistics. I can truly recommend you this course.

By Xiaoli H

Dec 16, 2018

very helpful. I reviewed a lot of basic concepts and ideas about statistics from this course. Highly recommended.

By Elita R

Dec 09, 2018

Excellent explanations by both professors and very interesting illustrations and examples! Thank you to the team.

By Muhammad A R

Jul 27, 2018

loved it. Wanted to go through basic statistics for research purposes, and this course has more than done the job