Back to Basic Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Basic Statistics by University of Amsterdam

Understanding statistics is essential to understand research in the social and behavioral sciences. In this course you will learn the basics of statistics; not just how to calculate them, but also how to evaluate them. This course will also prepare you for the next course in the specialization - the course Inferential Statistics. In the first part of the course we will discuss methods of descriptive statistics. You will learn what cases and variables are and how you can compute measures of central tendency (mean, median and mode) and dispersion (standard deviation and variance). Next, we discuss how to assess relationships between variables, and we introduce the concepts correlation and regression. The second part of the course is concerned with the basics of probability: calculating probabilities, probability distributions and sampling distributions. You need to know about these things in order to understand how inferential statistics work. The third part of the course consists of an introduction to methods of inferential statistics - methods that help us decide whether the patterns we see in our data are strong enough to draw conclusions about the underlying population we are interested in. We will discuss confidence intervals and significance tests. You will not only learn about all these statistical concepts, you will also be trained to calculate and generate these statistics yourself using freely available statistical software....

PG
Apr 20, 2016

This is a nice course...thanks for providing such a great content from University of Amserdam.\n\nPlease allow us to complete the course as I have to wait till the session starts for week 2 lessions.

JB
Sep 8, 2020

Thank You, @University_of_Amsterdam for this wonderful course. I have really benefited a lot from this course. Thank you, Dr. Matthijs Rooduijn for making this course so lively and interesting!!

201 - 225 of 862 Reviews for Basic Statistics

By Zari H

Mar 28, 2017

Engaging video lectures that are just the right length, and a great R lab that is super helpful, I highly recommend this course!

By Normunds N

Apr 19, 2020

Some parts were explained in a way that required re-watching, but overall I gained very good understanding of basic statistics.

By SophieLi

Apr 18, 2020

The course content is vivid, which helps a lot with my understanding of some difficult theories. I enjoy this course very much.

By Manoj P

Apr 17, 2020

Nicely drafted and well in depth knowledge of all the basic concepts have been covered. I am glad to have taken this course !!

By Meigui Y

Dec 5, 2016

I love this course, it is perfect for statistics beginner. The lecturer are talking in a interesting way, I won't feel boring.

By Pierre B

Sep 25, 2016

Interesting course to refresh my basics in statistics. Professors are engaged and uses simple example to present the concepts.

By Rebecca T

Jan 14, 2019

I found it extremely difficult, but it was quite well taught and I feel I have a much better understanding of statistics now.

By Arturo A A S

Jul 9, 2017

It was a great and nice course. I remembered a lot o things and I knew some key concepts and approaches to learn. Thank you.

By YI

Mar 3, 2017

I have to say this course has the best picture/graphical illustration than any course that I have ever taken. nice job UvA!!!

By yasir h

Oct 26, 2016

The illustrations and the teaching methodologies employed are way beyond what words can explain. A big Thanks to all of you!

By Shaun

Jun 25, 2019

Great instructional videos and other materials. This course has helped me achieve my goal of relearning statistical methods.

By Nattaya P

Oct 11, 2017

Excellent teaching, Excellent teacher. Easy to under stand. This course is very useful and helpful for unknown basic people.

By Leonel G

May 4, 2016

Excellent, clear to-the-point explanations supported by matching graphics and pace. About the best course I've taken so far.

By Atwin P

Oct 10, 2020

One of the most interesting, if not indeed the most interesting (with a confidence rate of 99%), courses I have ever taken.

By Aurelio F

Sep 7, 2020

This course is perfect to refresh statistic concepts and in it you will find a perfect way to introduce in R. Great course!

By Jas F A C

Aug 4, 2020

I am happy to enroll in this course. I learn a lot of statistical knowledge especially applying statistics in R. Thank you

Jan 15, 2018

Exceptional learning experience, thanks to the team behind this. My gratitude to Coursera for this wonderful MOOC. Regards.

By chiara m

Jan 17, 2016

A difficult subject made easy and interesting.

I wish there more exercise to practise home in order to master the concepts.

By Carlos M G

Mar 4, 2016

Excelente curso, para aprender Estadistica Basica y un poco de R, como recomendacion les digo que es bueno tener el libro.

By Yohansa F

Mar 10, 2016

I have tried other statistic courses before but this is by far my favorite! Excellent lecturer who offers clear examples.

By Dmitry V

Mar 30, 2020

If you are looking for a course to start with Statistics, start from this. Great balance of theory and practical skills.

By varun k

Oct 1, 2019

Very engaging instructors, made the concepts stick. Excellently designed datacamp modules to help practice the concepts.

By Humberto C C

Feb 1, 2016

Magnific course, excellent professors, wonderful support material and presentations. Great leink woth DataCamp, love it

By Paulo A d A

Dec 23, 2018

Interesting enough, I first thought that I had grasped all concepts. But... I had to come back to review the material.

By Gabriel V P

Oct 2, 2020

Excelente. Un poco difícil hacerlo en inglés si no es tu lengua materna, pero permite una conceptualización muy clara