Back to Bioinformatic Methods I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bioinformatic Methods I by University of Toronto

Large-scale biology projects such as the sequencing of the human genome and gene expression surveys using RNA-seq, microarrays and other technologies have created a wealth of data for biologists. However, the challenge facing scientists is analyzing and even accessing these data to extract useful information pertaining to the system being studied. This course focuses on employing existing bioinformatic resources – mainly web-based programs and databases – to access the wealth of data to answer questions relevant to the average biologist, and is highly hands-on. Topics covered include multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, gene expression data analysis, and protein interaction networks, in two separate parts. The first part, Bioinformatic Methods I (this one), deals with databases, Blast, multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, selection analysis and metagenomics. The second part, Bioinformatic Methods II, covers motif searching, protein-protein interactions, structural bioinformatics, gene expression data analysis, and cis-element predictions. This pair of courses is useful to any student considering graduate school in the biological sciences, as well as students considering molecular medicine. Both provide an overview of the many different bioinformatic tools that are out there. These courses are based on one taught at the University of Toronto to upper-level undergraduates who have some understanding of basic molecular biology. If you're not familiar with this, something like https://learn.saylor.org/course/bio101 might be helpful. No programming is required for this course. Bioinformatic Methods I is regularly updated, and was completely updated for January 2020....

SA

Jul 12, 2020

This course is very well organized, easy to understand, and explained everything steps by step which will help to grasp the concept easily. If you are a beginner like me, you should take this course.

ED

Apr 27, 2017

Great course. All lectures provide a biological context for the tools you learn in the labs. The labs themselves provide a great introduction to the many tools available for bioinformatic analysis.

26 - 50 of 276 Reviews for Bioinformatic Methods I

By Debabrata S

Dec 11, 2019

I have been searching a basic course on Bioinformatics since many days. This course really help to get that . I have learned lot of new things from this course. I feel lab work is very useful. And if anyone solve the quizzes that given after each module, then you can explore more on bioinformatics.

Thanks Prof.

By Priyadharshini M

Sep 12, 2020

This course was really helpful for me to understand and use basic bioinformatics tools.The lectures were easy to understand .The best part of this course was assignments and the lab quiz.It's quite difficult and interesting to find correct answers.Overall I'm happy on gaining knowledge from this course.

By Abdullah A J

Jul 11, 2020

This course is really interesting to me, I've practiced a lot with the lab practice modules that have given throughout the course. I would recommend this course, to learn basics of Bioinformatics and look forward to complete Bioinformatics methods II. Thanks to instructor, Dr. Nicholas J. Provart!

By Mahveesh K G

Jun 07, 2018

As a beginner I found this course really easy to learn with all the lecture materials provided, it gives you a clear picture as to what bioinformatics is all about. The labs and the lab vedios are very interesting and clearly explained. Can't wait to start my second course. Thank you

By Carlos A C d S

Jan 06, 2016

The best course ever ! Easy, well teached and breathtaking.

This course helped me a lot in my university in my undergraduation. You can get a good knowledge about bioinformatics enough to work with it, and these teachings is necessary to improve skills to get better in this area.

By Jacqueline B

Jul 15, 2020

Extremely informative and practically very helpful. I've learned to use the theoretical knowledge that I've studied in my grad and post-grad. I'm glad I decided to take this course because it really helped me and I would recommend this course to students studying biotechnology.

By Suzanne S

Aug 24, 2015

Very practical introduction to bioinformatics tools from a biological perspective. Labs were excellent, and the quizzes were mostly well-designed. Only downside is that some required software/web tools are difficult to run on Linux, but that's unavoidable given the field.

By Nergiz Ç

Apr 30, 2020

I really wanted to learn bioinformatics, thanks to this course, I am very pleased to have taken a course suitable for me at the beginner level. it gave me a lot of unbelievable things, and sometimes it was a lot of fun even though I had difficulty. thankful :)

By Yuliia M

Apr 17, 2020

I absolutely loved this course! All labs were perfectly explained and Dr. Nicholas Provart answered all my questions. I hope that this course will help me with my future research and I will probably enroll next part Bioinformatics Methods II ! ;-)

By Alejandra R S

Mar 04, 2016

Excellent course, I've learnt a lot. Maybe the labs are a little "do what I'm saying", but that is only if you are looking for the Certificate. If you dedicate enough time to read and "play" a little bit, it's a very complete course.

By Arturo M

Sep 28, 2017

A very well explained course by Dr. Provart that show us the most important tools for data acquisition and data banks in biochemistry and molecular biology that help us to find correlations among proteins as well as nucleic acids.

By Ali P

May 22, 2020

I would like to thank all the authors of this valuable course. Really, it was highly informative course covering the basics of Bioinformatics which we all need as researchers in bio-sciences in handling with NGS Analysis.

By Temidayo A

Apr 19, 2020

This is a fantastic course for anyone who wants to know how to do bioinformatic analysis using available software and databases. Importantly, Dr. Provart is always there to answer your questions. It is worth every minute!

By Aditya A D

Jun 11, 2020

The Lab sessions have by far been the best in any course I've done!

A bit more detailed explanation on working with other features of MEGA and subsequent use in primer designing for multiple isoforms would be appreciated.

By Varun C

Jan 10, 2020

The online lectures were very informative and I learned and came to know several new tools and their applications. The efforts made by Prof Nicholas to make the lectures simple and informative is very much appreciable.

By Bruno A T P

Dec 13, 2015

Very good and complete course. Even having some basic background with bioinformatics, this course was still valuable in order to further cement previously learned concepts, as well as learn some new concepts and tools.

By Jude C F

Sep 27, 2020

Thank you very much Dr. Provart for delivering and presenting the course in easy manner. I am hoping this would help me to be a better future scientist. I lreally love this course! Thank you University of Toronto!!!

By MUJEEB O S

Jan 04, 2020

This is arguably the best online course I have taken so far. There's flexibility in the course modules completion which enabled me to incorporate the Bioinformatics Method I course into my busy schedule.

By Erick D

Apr 27, 2017

By Ramya G

Nov 05, 2017

I enjoyed doing the course. It is exciting to see how much one can learn from a few gene or protein sequences. Thank you for making the course understandable to a beginner in bioinformatics!

By Claire W

Jul 11, 2017

Useful and informative. This is the best bioinformatics course I have taken so far as it focusses on the practical applications instead of the theory which is much more relevant! Thank you!

By Padma S

Jul 09, 2017

A fully recommended course for those who wish to understand the basics and strengthen their skills in Bioinformatics. A well-designed and precise course. Thank you Dr. Nicholas Provart. :-)

By kim t c

Sep 11, 2017

The course is very useful and practical, especially the lab and the lab discussion. The materials are very clear explained. I would like to thank the instructor for such an useful course!

By Will R

Jan 19, 2020

Great tour through the main areas of bioinformatics. I learned to use a lot of powerful tools for bioinformatic analyses as well as important topics like phylogenetics and metagenomics.

By PRANAV S G

Jan 22, 2019

This course is so accurate and useful to the bioinformatic students and the science students who needs help with the computational biology. I would recommend this course to everyone.