Back to Bioinformatic Methods I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bioinformatic Methods I by University of Toronto

Large-scale biology projects such as the sequencing of the human genome and gene expression surveys using RNA-seq, microarrays and other technologies have created a wealth of data for biologists. However, the challenge facing scientists is analyzing and even accessing these data to extract useful information pertaining to the system being studied. This course focuses on employing existing bioinformatic resources – mainly web-based programs and databases – to access the wealth of data to answer questions relevant to the average biologist, and is highly hands-on. Topics covered include multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, gene expression data analysis, and protein interaction networks, in two separate parts. The first part, Bioinformatic Methods I (this one), deals with databases, Blast, multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, selection analysis and metagenomics. The second part, Bioinformatic Methods II, covers motif searching, protein-protein interactions, structural bioinformatics, gene expression data analysis, and cis-element predictions. This pair of courses is useful to any student considering graduate school in the biological sciences, as well as students considering molecular medicine. Both provide an overview of the many different bioinformatic tools that are out there. These courses are based on one taught at the University of Toronto to upper-level undergraduates who have some understanding of basic molecular biology. If you're not familiar with this, something like https://learn.saylor.org/course/bio101 might be helpful. No programming is required for this course. Bioinformatic Methods I is regularly updated, and was completely updated for January 2021....

SA
Jul 11, 2020

This course is very well organized, easy to understand, and explained everything steps by step which will help to grasp the concept easily. If you are a beginner like me, you should take this course.

ED
Apr 26, 2017

Great course. All lectures provide a biological context for the tools you learn in the labs. The labs themselves provide a great introduction to the many tools available for bioinformatic analysis.

76 - 100 of 311 Reviews for Bioinformatic Methods I

By A K

Dec 18, 2017

Interesting and course, covers the basis of all modern bioinformatics methods and the labs are interesting as well. Looking forward to doing part II now.

By MARIO C

Jul 17, 2020

The best course I've attended on coursera, the Prof. Nick Provart is always available to answer your questions. I'm looking forward to start module 2.

By obasi r

Jun 18, 2020

Wonderful course, wonderful experience, wonderful exposure and new skills learnt. A big thank you to the organisers and lecturers for putting this up.

By Romit B

Jun 3, 2020

Very informative course, and Professor Nicholas has explained everything in such an easy manner, I had fun doing this course and also learned a lot

By Ravindra K

Jan 8, 2019

A lot of hard work is needed to prepare such kind of courses and lot of reading is required.

Thank you for providing such courses to us thank you

By Fredy L V

Jun 29, 2020

This was a high quality course with well organized information. I enyojed it, I am excited to apply all in my career. Thank you for sharing it

By Saruar A

Dec 1, 2017

Thank you so much dear professor Provart , really this course was enjoyable and It helped me a lot to develop my foundation in bioinformatics.

By Manal A

A very informative course and it was fun going through all the softwares. I got to learn many basic skills of bioinformatics in a simple way.

By Ji-Young K

Oct 2, 2016

Awesome course. The lectures are good and the lab portion is great. The lab really helps understanding how to use online tools and resources.

By SHARON K

Apr 19, 2020

Excellent course for beginners. I have lot of experiments that now I can use it in my research. Very simply explained and interesting labs.

By Lerry D P S

It is awesome! I got a new knowledge in bioinformatic. I recommended this course for everyone just for to know the basic. Just explore it.

By Sara L O

Jul 6, 2020

I truly recommend this course because in the labs you can practice all the theory you have learn and I really like the methodology .

By Nicholas Y

Mar 19, 2020

Excellent course to explore the basics and fundamentals for multiple bioinformatics data type analysis. Great job still updating it.

By Gonzalo V M

Oct 26, 2019

El curso me parecio bastante bueno, se entendió la mayoría de los conceptos, es un buen curso para introducirse en la bioinformatica

By D S

Jan 13, 2016

Good campaign for abolishing illiteracy.

It would be good to update answers for the final quiz (BLAST search and phylogenetic assay).

By Mohamed A E S S

Apr 4, 2019

It is a very great course that help me to learn more about that field of science and i hope to continue with more advanced levels

By Shamsunnahar M

Sep 17, 2019

I had a very basic knowledge but this course help me to understand the use of all parameters and what is the objective for this.

By Anuj S

Jan 17, 2021

This course is very helpful in related to providing basic knowledge about the topic and that is best thing about this course.

By Sael M A

Dec 5, 2017

Great course fro beginners, highly recommended for people who are going to have some bioinformatic aspects in their projects.

By Vitor I

Jan 5, 2021

Nicholas Provart is a great instructor!

This course was very useful. I'll highly recommend other students to take this course

By Wambui K

Nov 14, 2018

The course was excellent. The labs give a practical feel of what Bioinformatics is. Great work. Looking forward to Part II.

By Roman P

Nov 4, 2018

bioinformatics guide for practical work, great observation of last common use programs and clear explanation of methods

By Januzakova G T

Sep 1, 2020

Thank you very much for this course! This course was extremely interesting !

I enriched my knowledge in Bioinformatics.

By omar w

Aug 17, 2019

this course's lab is really amazing the only thing id recommend is to increase the number of questions in weekly tests

By Suhas G

Nov 6, 2016

A very well structured course with graded difficulty and accurate instructions. Throughly enjoyed being a part of it.