Back to Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners by University of California San Diego

4.3

Are you interested in learning how to program (in Python) within a scientific setting? This course will cover algorithms for solving various biological problems along with a handful of programming challenges helping you implement these algorithms in Python. It offers a gently-paced introduction to our Bioinformatics Specialization (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/bioinformatics), preparing learners to take the first course in the Specialization, "Finding Hidden Messages in DNA" (https://www.coursera.org/learn/dna-analysis). Each of the four weeks in the course will consist of two required components. First, an interactive textbook provides Python programming challenges that arise from real biological problems. If you haven't programmed in Python before, not to worry! We provide "Just-in-Time" exercises from the Codecademy Python track (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python). And each page in our interactive textbook has its own discussion forum, where you can interact with other learners. Second, each week will culminate in a summary quiz. Lecture videos are also provided that accompany the material, but these videos are optional....

DL
Apr 17, 2016

I give this course 5 star because I did Bioinformatics I and I totally enjoy it.\n\nThis is where programming can be fun, and practical, and you'll learn some basic biology too.\n\nWhat's not to love?

HL
Aug 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this difficult and time-consuming course! It covers biological concepts using Python. It made learning Python more interesting for me, since I have always loved biology.

251 - 275 of 335 Reviews for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

By Helena C P d A B

Jul 31, 2016

It's good, but I would prefer that the python was taught within the course.

By Zein A Z

Jul 6, 2020

too hard for beginners, it started simple and escalated to hard very fast

By Abraham M E

Jul 1, 2018

It is a little bit basic, but a great introduction to bioinformatics

By María A B

Feb 17, 2019

I have learnt a lot, but sometimes I missed some help or feedback.

By Kirolos M

Great for beginners ,yet with some to-be-cleared concepts

By marty

Apr 27, 2020

A little difficult for beginners but definitely worthy!!

By David G

Jul 18, 2019

Very interesting course. Thanks for putting it together.

By Jixiang P

Sep 15, 2019

The course is too easy even as a beginning level course

By Yash G

Jul 10, 2019

A lot to learn, but still not very east for sure

By Abderrazak I

Dec 27, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, thanks to coursera

By Xue, L

Oct 22, 2019

lecture video will be better than words

By Nitika B

Jun 30, 2020

nice course but need litle more detail

By 高文强

Jul 31, 2019

Fun!

By Helena M

Dec 19, 2019

This course is pretty interesting, but I wouldn't say it's a course for beginners. It gets into some quite complex algorithms without a huge amount of explanation and expects you to do a lot of extra work in CodeAcademy (though if you have programming experience, you can obviously skip this). With the work in CodeAcademy, I'd say this course takes 2-3 times longer than it recommends. I'm not a computer scientist so did find some sections quite hard to follow, and the explanation isn't always great (I couldn't figure out one of the answers in the final quiz, even after going through all the explanation and FAQ again). However, the content is very interesting and I found the videos really useful.

By Roger T

May 1, 2016

This is not a beginner's course unless you already have previous programming experience. The Python lessons are just samples taken from a completely different curriculum on Codecademy and poorly integrated into the bio-centric course content. The lessons are disjointed, taken out of context, and some of the examples are using the wrong version of Python and missing parentheses. It would be a lot better if they took the time to actually craft custom Python lessons designed specifically for this course instead of using ill-fitting lessons from other classes.

By Carla M C

Jul 20, 2020

Es un curso que está bien para iniciarse en la Bioinformática con Python. Sin embargo, hacia la mitad del curso los contenidos son demasiado complejos para quienes no han trabajado anteriormente en este campo. Debería ser un poco más básico para que pueda seguirse hasta el final y aprender de verdad.

Además, creo que los problemas biológicos que se plantean son demasiado concretos. Estaría bien conocer, a un nivel básico, la utilidad de estas herramientas en Biología-Biomedicina.

By Keona B

Jan 6, 2021

I have taken programming courses and a genetics course for my degree. This course has been good practice for me, putting my previous knowledge together. Unfortunately, the course includes terminology/concepts a true beginner would need much longer to grasp than the estimated time. Students need to be prepared to participate in discussions and search online if they want a deeper understanding. Code academy is also a necessary part of the process for true beginners.

By Ahmad M

Jan 8, 2021

The course was really amazing, but one point is that it was really really difficult. In my opinion, it did not take into consideration the student completely new to Python. It should've been easier or it should have a lot of hints and ways to support and tell the student what to do if they get stuck.

However, in general, I learnt a lot and for the first time in my life about this area of science.

Thank you very much!

By Putri A A

Jan 13, 2021

This course is really great and eye-opening! However, this course is for people with computer science/programming background that are new to molecular biology. I struggled a lot trying to understand the programming part since I have plant genetic & breeding background. I recommend to learn and understand programming language first before going to this course. Thumbs up to everyone who survived!