Back to Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners by University of California San Diego

4.3

Are you interested in learning how to program (in Python) within a scientific setting? This course will cover algorithms for solving various biological problems along with a handful of programming challenges helping you implement these algorithms in Python. It offers a gently-paced introduction to our Bioinformatics Specialization (https://www.coursera.org/specializations/bioinformatics), preparing learners to take the first course in the Specialization, "Finding Hidden Messages in DNA" (https://www.coursera.org/learn/dna-analysis). Each of the four weeks in the course will consist of two required components. First, an interactive textbook provides Python programming challenges that arise from real biological problems. If you haven't programmed in Python before, not to worry! We provide "Just-in-Time" exercises from the Codecademy Python track (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python). And each page in our interactive textbook has its own discussion forum, where you can interact with other learners. Second, each week will culminate in a summary quiz. Lecture videos are also provided that accompany the material, but these videos are optional....

DL
Apr 17, 2016

I give this course 5 star because I did Bioinformatics I and I totally enjoy it.\n\nThis is where programming can be fun, and practical, and you'll learn some basic biology too.\n\nWhat's not to love?

HL
Aug 15, 2017

I learned a lot from this difficult and time-consuming course! It covers biological concepts using Python. It made learning Python more interesting for me, since I have always loved biology.

51 - 75 of 316 Reviews for Biology Meets Programming: Bioinformatics for Beginners

By José P S M

Sep 3, 2019

As a Computer Science undergrad that works with Python, I considered the programming tips very begginer-friendly and could easily follow the presented biological knowledge that was required to complete the course. The course certainly made even more interested in Bioinformatics and Biology.

By Jeremy P

Aug 4, 2020

I found this course to be very engaging, and it helped my programming abilities immensely. I do wish that we would be able to see solutions on the stepik modules after a certain number of attempts, but this course helped me a lot and will definitely play a role it my career choices

By Даша П

Nov 20, 2018

I loved the course so much! I have never programmed before and I've always been afraid of mathematics, but this course happened to be so exciting! I liked, how difficult (for me, at least) concepts are explained step-by step. I am sincerely grateful to the authors of the course.

By AHMAD A Z

Mar 24, 2020

Honestly, this course is very difficult and not suitable for a beginner. This course is suitable for matured programmers and biologists. More time is needed to answer all the exercises and quizzes. So far, thanks to the teachers and friends for helping me with this course.

By Jordi M

Dec 25, 2016

Challenging and interesting. Only downside is the lack of help in the programming sections. I had been stuck on one of the last code challanges for more than a month without anyone of the staff answering my messages in the comments. Besides that, great course and content.

By Ebrahim B

Sep 27, 2018

I found the course extremely challenging, having no background in programming. But I loved engaging with math's and statistics, and being introduced to some very difficult but fascinating concepts in bioinformatics. I hope to pursue this career path further.

By Sri M K

Nov 18, 2016

I had great fun learning each week of the course. For students interested in understanding DNA, I would sincerely recommend. Also was the best experience I had learning Bioinformatics and python simultaneously. I believe in learning contextually. Thanks

By Joao V P d S

Jun 29, 2020

The course presents several challenges for students from the biological field of sciences. Nevertheless, It was fun to challenge myself and the practical examples used for teaching code were really good. I extremely recommend the course!

By Marc S

Aug 7, 2017

As a computer scientist I really enjoyed this course.

Learning about the complex problems, that biologists face, when analyzing DNA, was quite fascinating. I actually think, I will check out the specialization they are offering, as well.

By 刘瑞阳

Sep 23, 2017

This course really fits for beginners with zero coding background... Personally, I struggled at first for a while(and the exercises took more than 4 hours per week, as suggested in the webpage), but things are getting better then.

By Hugo A M A

Jul 9, 2020

This course needs a lot of time and dedication. You will learn a lot in only 4 weeks, I really recommend it. If you are a teenager in 11th or 12th grade interested in biological sciences, you must do this course during vacations!

By Grey B

Dec 21, 2019

Great intro to python, still need essential backup reads on coding but the pace is good and the explanation of bioinformatics and how coding comes into play and is very useful is perfect if you want to do this specialization..

By Angelo A d F

Aug 3, 2020

An experience I will always remember. I was introduced into a 'landscape' of bioinformatics, a valuable sharing of map for beginners like me so that I may be able to find my way whenever I get stuck in my own 'local optimum'!

By Jessie G

Jan 12, 2017

It's a great introductory course for Python and Bioinformatics. I found the platform for completing assignments, Stepiks, to be very slick and easy to use. Completing this course was so satisfying, informative and fun!

By Dunja P

Apr 27, 2017

Great course for biologists and non biologists. Materials well explained and interesting, stuff very helpful and eager. It opens a window to bioinformatics and is a good first step towards it. Very recommended!

By Manuel A

Jul 31, 2016

Very good course, and very similar to the first course of the Bioinformatics Specialization. However be warned, it takes a lot of time and effort to complete this course (definitely more than 10 hours a week).

By Do H L

Apr 18, 2016

What's not to love?

By Mariia Z

Apr 15, 2020

A very good course for those who has some (at least a little) experience in programmimg! I really loved it, it was challenging sometimes, especially in the end, but I did it and learned a lot.

By Felipe S

Sep 5, 2020

A nice and satisfying course aimed for beginners in programming and biology, but you need to be prepared to use google and do some research on your own to fill some knowledge gaps.

By Irith K

Jul 15, 2020

I learned so much in this course and it was so cool to see the intersection between computer science and biology! Thank you so much to the instructors for making this course!

By Tianyu Y

Aug 8, 2018

As the title saids, this course is pretty good for beginners. I major in biology and have no programming experience. Now I have more confidence to challenge advanced courses.

By Isabella

Feb 11, 2018

Fantastic course. If you are a Python beginner it is a great way to practise solving problems with Python. While also learning about DNA, which was absolutely fascinating.

By Matt W

Jun 18, 2017

Great introductory material for a new person to Bioinformatics, Python, or a both. Definitely feel more "natural" in Python and well versed in Bioinformatics concepts.

By Prem T

Jun 17, 2020

I am gonna be honest .if you are a beginner level in python please make sure to practice some more or gain some more experience in python before beginning with this

By Damian D

Apr 30, 2020

It managed to keep me interested in learning programming to solve biological questions. As a biologist its the most I can ask from any such course. Thanks a lot.