Back to Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer by Johns Hopkins University

Over 500,000 people in the United States and over 8 million people worldwide are dying every year from cancer. As people live longer, the incidence of cancer is rising worldwide and the disease is expected to strike over 20 million people annually by 2030. This open course is designed for people who would like to develop an understanding of cancer and how it is prevented, diagnosed, and treated. The course introduces the molecular biology of cancer (oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes) as well as the biologic hallmarks of cancer. The course also describes the risk factors for the major cancers worldwide, including lung cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer. We explain how cancer is staged, the major ways cancer is found by imaging, and how the major cancers are treated. In addition to the core materials, this course includes two Honors lessons devoted to cancers of the liver and prostate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: - Identify the major types of cancer worldwide. (Lecture 1) - Describe how genes contribute to the risk and growth of cancer. (Lecture 2) - List and describe the ten cellular hallmarks of cancer. (Lecture 3) - Define metastasis, and identify the major steps in the metastatic process. (Lecture 4) - Describe the role of imaging in the screening, diagnosis, staging, and treatments of cancer. (Lecture 5) - Explain how cancer is treated. (Lecture 6) We hope that this course gives you a basic understanding of cancer biology and treatment. The course is not designed for patients seeking treatment guidance – but it can help you understand how cancer develops and provides a framework for understanding cancer diagnosis and treatment....

AH
Mar 17, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student and i didnt even read oncology subject, but this course not just start the beginer level , butt gradually it goes in depth and the flow of lectuures and topics is smooth

AK
Jul 31, 2020

Excellent course for anyone interested in knowing more about the origin, diagnosis and treatment of cancer, even for beginners. Thanks to JHU for putting such an excellent course material together!

226 - 250 of 1,177 Reviews for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

By SWAROOP G M

Aug 19, 2020

The course was very informative and best for those who want to know the basic understanding of cancer, its classification, imaging types and treatment types.

By Amara T

Jul 30, 2020

this course taught me alot of interesting stuff and I do recommend it for anyone who wants to get a better understanding of cancer, and what it is all about.

By Ayesha A

Apr 21, 2020

I found this course very helpful and informative. Any student from life science background can easily understand this course. I highly recommend this course.

By Chetana M

Mar 9, 2021

This one is one of the best course to get a very good knowledge of cancer and its molecular basics. the videos are quite well detailed. all over awesome.

By Sana F

Apr 14, 2021

The course is very brief and gives you knowledge in every area Cancer from statistics to genetics and treatment. It has greatly helped me in my project.

By STEPHEN O

Jun 11, 2020

The course instructors were very awesome I understood them perfectly this made me to really want to know more cancer as a biochemist in research field.

By Işıl B

Dec 26, 2020

I'm an undergraduate student and I chose this course because i want to develop my cancer biology skils. Thank you very much, it was a great journey! :)

By SANDRA M S

May 16, 2020

This course is really useful.You will get info about cancer from grass root level if you are new in this field.Attend this course guys,it will help you

By B M T I

Jun 7, 2020

This was really good and knowledgeable also.It really helps me to learning new things.Anyone who're interested on cancer,he'll enroll this.Thank You.

By Thirza H P v ' S

Jan 26, 2020

It was an awesome course to do, I learned so much and the learning material was handed to me in a interactive way. Which made it easy for me to learn

By Mahmoud A

Apr 30, 2017

this is a really good one and of course I had a very good time during the course and really great thanks to the educators of the course and coursera

By Riya J

Sep 7, 2020

It was well taught and I was able to understand a lot more than basics of cancer. Thanking all those who took an effort in providing the knowledge.

By Agasthya S

Aug 9, 2016

A very good primer on the most common cancer types. I hope to see a more advanced iteration of this course for those who want deeper understanding.

By Gerda S

May 7, 2018

Very good explained and slides that are very helpful. I learned a lot in a course with quite short lectins. Very appreciated to get the course in

By Vanessa L

Feb 24, 2018

This was a very interesting course and well put together I enjoyed the lessons and the variety of information about the existing types of cancer.

By Marisa B

Sep 26, 2020

Super Informative and easy to follow! I'm a high school students, and it was very accessible to me. I would definitely recommend this to anyone!

By Surekha C

The Course on "Introduction to the Biology of Cancer" was very good and useful. The lectures were so good in understanding the concept clearly.

By Naveen K

Aug 25, 2018

This is an excellent introduction to Cancer Biology. Occasionally you do need to clarify a term from the Internet, but that is not a big issue.

By Nils C

Jul 5, 2020

Curso muy funcional, interesante e importante para personas interesadas en el funcionamiento y tratamiento del cáncer. Muy buena introducción.

By Marcos H N A

Mar 2, 2020

Excelente. Contribuiu para minha formação e para nova disciplina que irei minstrar esta semana: CITOPATOLOGIA ONCÓTICA. Obrigado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By JAYENDRA V

Sep 26, 2019

it was most amazing way of studying and I thank you Prof. K Pienta and all my teachers for making this course the most unique and informative.

By Natasha D S

Aug 25, 2018

Good course to give an over all view of cancer. Talks about how cancer cells are formed, how they spread, how cancer is diagnosed and treated.

By Zkrina A

May 16, 2021

I liked the course. Excellent approach, illustrations for the video and explanations for the topic. Thank you to the teachers of this course!