Back to Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer by Johns Hopkins University

Over 500,000 people in the United States and over 8 million people worldwide are dying every year from cancer. As people live longer, the incidence of cancer is rising worldwide and the disease is expected to strike over 20 million people annually by 2030. This open course is designed for people who would like to develop an understanding of cancer and how it is prevented, diagnosed, and treated. The course introduces the molecular biology of cancer (oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes) as well as the biologic hallmarks of cancer. The course also describes the risk factors for the major cancers worldwide, including lung cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer. We explain how cancer is staged, the major ways cancer is found by imaging, and how the major cancers are treated. In addition to the core materials, this course includes two Honors lessons devoted to cancers of the liver and prostate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: - Identify the major types of cancer worldwide. (Lecture 1) - Describe how genes contribute to the risk and growth of cancer. (Lecture 2) - List and describe the ten cellular hallmarks of cancer. (Lecture 3) - Define metastasis, and identify the major steps in the metastatic process. (Lecture 4) - Describe the role of imaging in the screening, diagnosis, staging, and treatments of cancer. (Lecture 5) - Explain how cancer is treated. (Lecture 6) We hope that this course gives you a basic understanding of cancer biology and treatment. The course is not designed for patients seeking treatment guidance – but it can help you understand how cancer develops and provides a framework for understanding cancer diagnosis and treatment....

AH
Mar 17, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student and i didnt even read oncology subject, but this course not just start the beginer level , butt gradually it goes in depth and the flow of lectuures and topics is smooth

AK
Jul 31, 2020

Excellent course for anyone interested in knowing more about the origin, diagnosis and treatment of cancer, even for beginners. Thanks to JHU for putting such an excellent course material together!

276 - 300 of 1,179 Reviews for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

By Lakshmi V

Mar 12, 2020

This course was truly amazing and i enjoyed learning every minute of it. The concepts were very intriguing and beautifully taught.

By Priyanka R

Feb 7, 2019

Being a medical graduate I can say that the topic was explained in a very effective manner, with an organized flow of information.

By Vishnu V N

Sep 1, 2020

The course was informative and the lecturers are knowedgable too. After completing this course I have learned a lot about cancer.

By Renugadevi K

May 4, 2020

it was really interesting to listen to your videos. ur videos are easy to understand for the beginners and with much information

By MUNAGALA H

Sep 12, 2020

its very informative and useful to all students who are interested in cancer i like cery much thanking for offering this course

Aug 20, 2017

I especially enjoyed learning about the treatment of cancer (week 6) and the statistics related to cancer occurrence and death.

By Bhattar S A

A great course to have a complete knowledge about the various aspects of cancer. happy to be a part of gaining good knowledge.

By Chung M C

Jan 1, 2017

It is my first on line coursera course and I liked it very much. Its a very good opportunity to review and learn about cancer.

By Isabella R

Ive learned so much from this course, I totally recommend it to anyone that is interested in biology or cancer staging/cells!

By xinyu w

Feb 19, 2021

Nice beginner level course! Give an overall understanding of cancer biology, with professional, but understandable language.

By Komala R

Sep 11, 2020

i am thankful to coursera for providing me the financial aid . this course has helped me to gain more knowledge about cancer

By Hugo P V

Jul 8, 2020

Perfect! I just loved this course! Brief, clear and didactic classes, with enough important content on the biology of cancer

By Ojas N

Sep 26, 2020

Extremely interesting and informative course that is great for an introduction to this subject and igniting your interest .

By Kaunda W

Feb 16, 2020

Terrific overview! Great for individuals who are interested in the science of cancer, it’s biology and possible treatments.

By Feather I

Oct 1, 2016

Great information. Excellent course that has left me wanting to know more and be a part of expanding treatments. Thank you!

By Shah A R

Jul 8, 2020

This course is presented in a very satisfying way.I have learned so many new things that will help me in my future career.

By nkosingiphile t

Jul 25, 2019

Good course indeed. I enjoyed the learning. I have learned so much in the course. Thanks a lot Coursera and Prof Pienta.

By Akemi H S M

Aug 29, 2018

Muy bueno para adquirir un panorama general. Y tiene puntos que despiertan el interés para investigar de forma individual.

By aamnadilshad

Aug 15, 2020

it was an amazing learning experience. i enjoyed my journey and videos were very informative and help me in my research.

By Meghna P

Jul 25, 2020

This course not only was easy to learn and understand, but the faculty also helped in making leaning an enjoyable process

By Paula F R S

Wonderful course, I was able to learn a lot about the biology of cancer. I have a broad and wonderful view of the course.

By Udita G

Aug 2, 2021

Very informative and subjective course. I recommend it to all biology students for basic introduction to cancer biology.

By Nicolas O

Aug 8, 2020

Best course I ever took on cancer. Thanks to all the doctors for all the knowledge they have passed on to us. Thank you!

By Ishita H

Jul 28, 2020

This was such a fun and informative course. I'm really satisfied with the course material and guidance by the lecturers.

By SARIDEVI S

The lectures and the quiz after every lecture are very helpful to attend the quiz. I really enjoyed learning this course