Back to Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer by Johns Hopkins University

Over 500,000 people in the United States and over 8 million people worldwide are dying every year from cancer. As people live longer, the incidence of cancer is rising worldwide and the disease is expected to strike over 20 million people annually by 2030. This open course is designed for people who would like to develop an understanding of cancer and how it is prevented, diagnosed, and treated. The course introduces the molecular biology of cancer (oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes) as well as the biologic hallmarks of cancer. The course also describes the risk factors for the major cancers worldwide, including lung cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer. We explain how cancer is staged, the major ways cancer is found by imaging, and how the major cancers are treated. In addition to the core materials, this course includes two Honors lessons devoted to cancers of the liver and prostate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: - Identify the major types of cancer worldwide. (Lecture 1) - Describe how genes contribute to the risk and growth of cancer. (Lecture 2) - List and describe the ten cellular hallmarks of cancer. (Lecture 3) - Define metastasis, and identify the major steps in the metastatic process. (Lecture 4) - Describe the role of imaging in the screening, diagnosis, staging, and treatments of cancer. (Lecture 5) - Explain how cancer is treated. (Lecture 6) We hope that this course gives you a basic understanding of cancer biology and treatment. The course is not designed for patients seeking treatment guidance – but it can help you understand how cancer develops and provides a framework for understanding cancer diagnosis and treatment....

AH

Mar 18, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student and i didnt even read oncology subject, but this course not just start the beginer level , butt gradually it goes in depth and the flow of lectuures and topics is smooth

AK

Aug 01, 2020

Excellent course for anyone interested in knowing more about the origin, diagnosis and treatment of cancer, even for beginners. Thanks to JHU for putting such an excellent course material together!

176 - 200 of 883 Reviews for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

By Monica M

May 19, 2017

Well put together! Great variety in experts leading the course. Amount and level of information shared was just right. I think everyone should take this course!

By Shruti S

Feb 11, 2017

Thank you so much for providing such a interesting course, especially thanks for financial support, I will be always there for courser, cant forget the great he

By Cícero S L F

Aug 05, 2020

Uma ótima oportunida com professores renomados e que sabem ministrar o conteúdo em conjunto com as aulas... Uma nova forma de d se aprender, excelente escolha!

By Lillian L

Dec 04, 2017

Very good course. Although I didn't purchase the certificate, I still learned a lot. I would recommend it to anyone interested in cancer and how it is treated.

By Amara T

Jul 30, 2020

this course taught me alot of interesting stuff and I do recommend it for anyone who wants to get a better understanding of cancer, and what it is all about.

By Ayesha A

Apr 21, 2020

I found this course very helpful and informative. Any student from life science background can easily understand this course. I highly recommend this course.

By Stephen o o

Jun 11, 2020

The course instructors were very awesome I understood them perfectly this made me to really want to know more cancer as a biochemist in research field.

By SANDRA M S

May 16, 2020

This course is really useful.You will get info about cancer from grass root level if you are new in this field.Attend this course guys,it will help you

By B M T I

Jun 07, 2020

This was really good and knowledgeable also.It really helps me to learning new things.Anyone who're interested on cancer,he'll enroll this.Thank You.

By Thirza H P v ' S

Jan 26, 2020

It was an awesome course to do, I learned so much and the learning material was handed to me in a interactive way. Which made it easy for me to learn

By Mahmoud A

Apr 30, 2017

this is a really good one and of course I had a very good time during the course and really great thanks to the educators of the course and coursera

By Agasthya S

Aug 09, 2016

A very good primer on the most common cancer types. I hope to see a more advanced iteration of this course for those who want deeper understanding.

By Gerda S

May 07, 2018

Very good explained and slides that are very helpful. I learned a lot in a course with quite short lectins. Very appreciated to get the course in

By Vanessa C d C L

Feb 25, 2018

This was a very interesting course and well put together I enjoyed the lessons and the variety of information about the existing types of cancer.

By Surekha C

The Course on "Introduction to the Biology of Cancer" was very good and useful. The lectures were so good in understanding the concept clearly.

By Naveen K

Aug 25, 2018

This is an excellent introduction to Cancer Biology. Occasionally you do need to clarify a term from the Internet, but that is not a big issue.

By Nils C

Jul 06, 2020

Curso muy funcional, interesante e importante para personas interesadas en el funcionamiento y tratamiento del cáncer. Muy buena introducción.

By Marcos H N A

Mar 03, 2020

Excelente. Contribuiu para minha formação e para nova disciplina que irei minstrar esta semana: CITOPATOLOGIA ONCÓTICA. Obrigado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By JAYENDRA V

Sep 26, 2019

it was most amazing way of studying and I thank you Prof. K Pienta and all my teachers for making this course the most unique and informative.

By Natasha D S

Aug 25, 2018

Good course to give an over all view of cancer. Talks about how cancer cells are formed, how they spread, how cancer is diagnosed and treated.

By Ximena T V

Es un excelente curso en donde se puede tener conceptos claros de cada tema que se revisa, los profesores son muy claros en las explicaciones

By Dario M

Apr 22, 2019

really nice. every doctor should talk slowly as mr Pienza does because some of us are foreigners and it would be easier for us to understand.

By Hina A R

Jul 05, 2020

Absolutely loved this course. It includes all the basics of cancer studies and I am very grateful to Dr. Ken Pienta and his team :D Cheers!

By Hadeel A

Oct 15, 2019

Great Course! I am glad that I learned about Biology in Cancer in Coursera! it is more convenience and less stress than learning in school!