Back to Classical Sociological Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical Sociological Theory by University of Amsterdam

This Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will offer the participants an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century. Highly influential social science scholars, such as Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emile Durkheim, will be discussed during 8 sessions. Combined with small tests, based on the video’s and recommended readings, the participants will be encouraged to dive deeply into the complex texts and get familiar with classical sociological concepts that are still very relevant today....

Jan 6, 2019

Simple,neat and interesting way of explaining the content. Didn't get bored. Good refreshment if you already know the stuff and good introduction if you are new to sociology. Professor is really nice.

DT
Oct 28, 2018

This is a course which helps you understand the origin of Sociology. The content of this course includes all the sociologists who played a great role, also the lectures are delivered in a superb way.

101 - 125 of 603 Reviews for Classical Sociological Theory

By Ovidio P S

Jul 29, 2020

A deep felt thank you to Bart for his knowledge and his way with words, you’ve really opened up so much interests in me with your accesible and ample teachings, thank you! and to everyone that made this jewel of knowledge and understanding possible..

By Marina C

Apr 18, 2021

Both explanations and illustrated graphics are well encompassed. This makes the course enjoyable to follow and ultimately encourages to read further on the classical authors. Looking forward to attend to the next one on modern sociological theory!

By Roxana P

May 30, 2016

its just great the way he explains everything, makes it so much easier to learn.. even on another languaje.

im from Mexico and i use this house to complete my understandings in class, i wish all my clases where like this course.

Thank you for this.

By Andrey S

Jan 5, 2020

An incredible lecturer, very much in love with his course, and very passionate about teaching: among lots of courses I've passed on Coursera, this is the only one which made me feel like I was in a classroom, talking to the teacher. Fantastic!

By Shirin T

Oct 6, 2015

It is one of the best courses on classical sogiological theory, in my opinion. The lector summarizes ideaies in a comprehensive way and invokes an interest to study further the theories and their authors. Enjoying the course a lot! Thank you!

By Olamide S

Apr 25, 2020

Great course. It gives a good basis for the study of classical sociology texts and presents different authors and topics in a way that's engaging and interesting even (especially ?) for those who know nothing or very little about sociology.

By Syed J A B

Oct 29, 2017

The first Lecture of the classical sociological theories course I attended last week is nicely designed and presented. its easy to grasp and it keep the student engaged. I like it very much and I hope I will learn a lot by its completion.

By tan q y

Feb 5, 2017

I love sociology when I was an undergraduate. Now that I am working, I have rekindled my love for sociological thought. Really grateful for the lectures by a passionate and engaging professor who ignites my thirst for learning once more.

By Mariana M C

Jun 15, 2016

The course is great and beautifully explained by the teacher. I am a Social Scientist and it is being great to remember and review all the classical writers of Sociology.

Thanks a lot University of Amsterdam and Dr. Bart van Heerikhuizen

By Nimra

Mar 28, 2019

The course "Classical Sociological Theory" was a very beneficial course for me. I learned a lot of new things. It was a comfortable and amazing journey. It was my first online course and it has added great experience in my intelligence.

By Mireille L

Jul 11, 2020

I love the lectures - it was very interesting to someone with little to no sociological knowledge. I especially enjoyed the anecdotes mentioned during the lecture, it makes an otherwise heavy subject more interesting and light-hearted.

By Cristina D

Nov 23, 2016

Great course!

The professor's explanations are clear and made me want to read even further for most themes. You can tell he's very passionate about the subject. I am looking forward for a similar one on Contemporary Sociological Theory.

By Jose M R

Oct 5, 2015

Very fascinating course. I guess because I have a deep interest in Sociology. The way the professor explains the course is quite interesting and easy to understand. I do hope the professor develops a MOOC on Modern Sociological Theory.

By Chelsea L

Feb 3, 2021

Great course, for an introduction to classical sociology. The lecturer explains everything but for a better understanding, you will have to do the readings. This course really helped me to make a decision about what I wanted to study.

By Roland F

Sep 13, 2020

Great job by the professor, not only explaining each and every theory in detail and precision, but also giving insights and critics to each theory that helped a lot in better understanding the implications and origins of the theories.

By Darlene d V

May 23, 2020

Excellent course. Interesting lectures and I greatly appreciated the pdf transcripts. I am not a strong auditory learner, so reading and listening greatly helped me. I would love to take anther course from this professor. Thank you.

By Alex L

May 4, 2020

Amazing educational content, extremely friendly professor, what can you want more?:)) I enjoyed completing this course and it really gave me a perspective on the basics of sociological theories. Hope to see more from Uni of Amsterdam!

By Valentyna P

Dec 10, 2017

The course is very well presented with the Professor's professional point of view as well as great main points and examples of the charpests questions to pay attention to.

Thank Youuuuuuuuuu, dear Professor, for such a great course!!!

By Nagarjuna A S

May 7, 2020

An impressive course by Prof. Heerikhuizen! Though I'm an engineer by profession - I was able to follow most of the concepts. The professor has set a great foundation for students/laymen to benefit better from sociology literature.

By Marco T

Apr 16, 2017

i FOUND THE COURSE VERY HELPFUL AND THOROUGH. ALTHOUGH WE NEEDED MORE DISCUSSION TO SOLIDIFY THE CONCEPTS LEARNED, THE PROFESSOR DID A WONDERFUL JOB IN SELECTING AND ENHANCING THE MOST IMPORTANT POINTS TO BE GRASPED BY THE LEARNER.

By Nicolas R

Nov 10, 2020

Such an excellent course, really helped me understand the basis of a lot of modern sociological ideologies. The professor is excellent and truly knows and loves his subject, as you can easily surmise by his passion as he speaks.

By Susan B

Jan 11, 2017

A really enjoyable course. Very well presented and structured. I learnt a lot and it gave me much to think about in relation to world issues in 2017. Thank you. I hope there is a follow up course on modern sociologists very soon.

By P A P

Jul 17, 2020

This course is really well designed, helps anyone ( whether from a sociological background or not) to know about the foundational ideologies of sociology. A must take if someone wants to start up with a background on sociology !

By Johanna Y

Oct 11, 2016

A fabulous course to start with. After this course I can indeed read and understand the classics of the sociology. And I also love the clear, elegant, sometimes concerned and passionate expression of Mr. Dr. van Heerikhuizen.

By Gustavo E M G

Jul 21, 2020

Excelente curso. Las explicaciones del tutor son breves y esclarecedoras, pero sobre todo muy concisas y relacionadas entre sí. Recomiendo este curso si usted está interesado en introducirse a la sociología con pasos firmes.