Back to Cluster Analysis in Data Mining

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cluster Analysis in Data Mining by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Discover the basic concepts of cluster analysis, and then study a set of typical clustering methodologies, algorithms, and applications. This includes partitioning methods such as k-means, hierarchical methods such as BIRCH, and density-based methods such as DBSCAN/OPTICS. Moreover, learn methods for clustering validation and evaluation of clustering quality. Finally, see examples of cluster analysis in applications....

ES

Dec 18, 2018

This was my favorite course in the whole specialization. Everything is explained very concisely and clearly making the subject matter very easy to understand.

VB

Nov 07, 2019

Good course for understanding the Cluster Analysis & Algorithms, instructor is very experienced and well explained, thanks

26 - 47 of 47 Reviews for Cluster Analysis in Data Mining

Jul 11, 2017

E

By geoffrey a

Sep 02, 2017

Good, thorough coverage -- for a 4-week course -- of how to cluster. I liked the evaluation of clustering topic especially. Very few other instructors seem to discuss the vitally important evaluation of clustering results in any depth when they teach clustering. Dr. Han explained a comprehensive framework for understanding the effectiveness of any clustering system. I had never seen some of this material before, even though clustering was a topic appearing in a couple of other data science or machine learning courses that I have taken in the past. Ideally I would even wish to see this course extended to 6 or 8 weeks, so that case studies on difficult real datasets can be clustered. For example I had a terribly difficult ordeal last year before I took this course, trying to cluster the Kaggle.com dataset of the BOSCH competition. It has about 90% missing data in every row, and there are 2 million rows in total, and about 4500 columns! Kaggle's BOSCH is a SUPER tough dataset to work with! I hope to come back to try the BOSCH dataset again using my new knowledge of clustering some time soon. The reason I chose to run unsupervised clustering on this BOSCH dataset, which is ostensibly intended for supervised learning, is to eliminate significant amounts of the missing data from being exposed to multiple individual supervised learning models by prior clever grouping of examples. I am still postulating to the current day that clustering and creating another unique supervised learning model for each cluster is the most important step to eliminating missing data in this particular problem.

By GANG L

Jan 26, 2018

This is a very good course covering all area of clustering. The only thing I feel a little struggle is some algorithm explained too brief, I prefer some detail step by step examples.

By Devender B

Mar 10, 2019

Useful theory. It will be challenging for non-math students. and also lecturer's native language influence iis going to be challening as well to follow along.

By Umesh G

Apr 28, 2019

Its Good but explanations can done much better, rest all good in terms of study material, quiz ,and programming assignment.

By Alexander S

Dec 16, 2019

Good course. Some of the slides have value errors. Explanations for the programming assignments could be better.

By Anubhav B

Nov 07, 2016

The course is very insightful and very helpful for the data mining studies at university courses.

By shane

Sep 07, 2017

Very detailed introduction of Clustering techniques.

By Venuu M V R

Apr 11, 2019

The course helped me a lot. I loved this course

By Yogesh S M

Jan 27, 2017

Learnt More Here Than I Did At My College!!

By PABLO P Q

Feb 21, 2019

Nice. Good Course

By aditya p

Feb 15, 2017

good course!

By prasanna k p

Nov 22, 2019

it will be very helpful for understanding if any examples given with dummy data for cluster evaluation

By Aden G

Oct 15, 2016

I am concerned about the last assignment of this course. And I cannot get any help from here.

By Alexandre M B

Nov 11, 2017

My analysis is that the assessments do not match the depth of what is explained.