Back to Copyright Law in the Music Business

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Copyright Law in the Music Business by Berklee College of Music

In this course taught by E. Michael Harrington, students will learn the basis for copyright including what is and is not covered by copyright law. This course will help clarify what rights artists have as creators as well as what the public is free to take from their work. Students will also learn what to do if someone copies their work and what to do if they are accused of copying someone else. Finally, the course will discuss how technology has changed copyright for the better (and worse) and how copyright laws may change in the coming years....

VL

Apr 13, 2020

Thank you the opportunity. I want to thank the Coursera team and Michael for making it easier to get an in-depth understanding of the Copyright Law in Music Business. This will be very helpful.

MG

Jun 09, 2020

Clear instruction. Loved the examples and case studies. Very interesting to learn the history of music copyright and how different artists and songs were affected by it!

1 - 25 of 68 Reviews for Copyright Law in the Music Business

By Buddy H

May 21, 2019

The instructor was very difficult to listen to, seemed to have dry mouth in every video. I feel that he shared more conversation than instruction. In the case studies, we were asked for our opinions, but the multiple choice answers were catering to his opinions. This made it very hard to answer the questions correctly. You can't ask what I think or what I found, then ask me to answer questions based on my findings, but score me based on your own. I disagreed with the instructor on many issues but had to give contradictory answers to multiple choice answers just for them to be marked correct. There was also a lot of repetitive information given. I don't think there's a need for this course after taking John C Kellog's course "Music Business Foundations". I think Mr. Kellog covered everything in this course and was much more interesting and clear in his explanations. This course is more opinions than facts.

By Charles V P

Feb 02, 2019

The course provides a very elementary introduction to copyright law. No external reading is required. I would recommend reading "Music Copyright Law" by David Moser. This book provides a more in-depth approach to dealing with the actual copyright code.

By James N

Everything in this course was explained well. I feel like if you want to learn about copyright among other things, such as record contracts, then go for Music Business Basics with Jon Kellogg. This course, for me, offered a way to reconsolidate my learning for this course rather than an introduction to a load more ideas, bar there was a good amount of case studies and talk about the process of going to court. Overall a good course. P.S. I took this within the Music Business specialisation, which included Music Business Foundations as a course.

By Eileen

Jun 24, 2020

An accessible course for those who do not have much experience with law but have a general understanding of music and musical analysis (chord progressions, roman numeral analysis, basic tempo and form).

Jul 02, 2019

If you dot know how to analyze music, (tempo, melody, ect) you will have a hard time with the case studies and quizes.

By Xiao L G

Jul 27, 2020

To all law/non-law students who have a massive interest in Intellectual Property and Music, you will not regret paying for this interesting and exciting course! The contents of this course were detailed and easily absorbed! Not only I got to know how Copyright Law works in the Music Industry, I got to know how the US legal system works as well! Overall, I feel superbly satisfied with this course :)

By Mohab Y H

Apr 10, 2020

Excellent course and has helped me learn about various aspects of copyright laws. The case studies were an absolutely great way of get in-depth information on how lawsuits are carried out. This course opened up ways for me to learn more on copyright laws in music and my next step would be to take the 12 week course available on Berklee College.

By Prompiriya P

Interesting course with great insight from the professional. I like that the lectures are somewhat short and the quiz is extremely detailed. While the content itself in US Music Business is not really applicable to my country, I get the right foundation to start exploring on this matter. Thanks.

By Maiha F

This was my first time to take the class of university in US.

Especially I was surprised about the content.

It was specific, practical and latest.

This was an amazing experience for me.

Thank you so much for Mr E. Michael Harrington, Berklee and Coursera.

By Dan C

Aug 01, 2018

This is a great course. They did a great job of taking a very mundane, yet crucially important subject and make it easy to understand. The use of the case studies was brilliant and it really helped it the understanding and application of the material.

By Kristen N

Mar 24, 2020

Fantastic course! Such interesting material by a personable and very knowledgeable instructor. He explained everything clearly and included interesting "real world" stories. I would readily take another course from this instructor.

By lucero r

Jan 27, 2020

I feel I have a closer understanding of copyright law. Though some things where a little hard for me to understand as I'm not musically inclined, this gives me a great starting point when my team creates different songs

By SOULAIMANE I

Sep 08, 2019

A glimpse on legality in the world of music with invaluable information that complements the courses presented before in this specialization, It was an amazing experience. This fine gentleman will represent me someday.

By Gustavo S d S

Jul 15, 2020

The course is well-structured and professor Michael presents everything on a clear and sound manner. There are assignments with practical cases analysis and very detailed reports after you finish them. Recommended!

By Girish D K

Jul 27, 2020

E. Michael Harrington

sir was excellent he cleared every concept regarding copyright infringement.If anyone want to learn about copyright against music you should go for this course. Learned a lot Thank You.

By Varun L

Apr 13, 2020

By Cynthia A A

Apr 16, 2019

I am grateful for this course, knowledge is power. Now I feel free to compose without the rare fear that somewhere in the world might be a song similar to mine for which I could be sued.

By Shawn R

Jul 20, 2020

Concise information with in-depth examination of case studies. I feel like I learned exactly what I needed in this course - perfectly adequate with no unnecessary fluff.

By Janet E

Jul 18, 2020

Excellent introductory course. Mr. Harrington answered many questions I have about copyright. His videos are entertaining, and include real-world situations. Thanks!

By Monica W

The instructor was very easy and pleasant to listen too. He was also extremely knowledgeable about the subject matter. Every session flowed very smoothly. Thank you.

By Daniele C

May 11, 2019

I loved this course!

Very informative on the Music Business.

Also learned a lot of good information about Copyright & Trademarks which I know will be helpful.

By Gellért M

Jun 21, 2020

Very interesting course! It is easy to follow. You will learn useful things, with many examples. The instructor seems to be a very nice person.

By Mohammad K H

Jun 10, 2020

I love the course. I learned many things from it. It has different issues and interesting case study that helps better understanding.

By LUCAS P F

Aug 24, 2019

An amazing dive in the Copyright System and how it resolved problems in the music industry during the years. Thanks for that Berklee!

By Alli C

Oct 22, 2019

Very much appreciated the opportunity to analyze real copyright cases and experience copyright material at a whole new depth.