Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

301 - 325 of 404 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By cat b

Feb 17, 2018

Well-organized and well-structured, good examples, multiple perspectives from practicing writers. The content on character development, the role of dialog and action in revealing characters, and POV/voice would be most helpful for novice writers (but perhaps also for experienced writers!)

By Federico B S

May 30, 2018

Character is one of the most difficult aspects of fiction writing and I think this course does a good job of getting you to understand it. It would definitely benefit from some additional mandatory readings. Parts of James Wood's How Fiction Works would be right on the money.

By Sougandh P

Apr 18, 2020

The course helped me put the learning to practice. The course helped me start writing and also engage in reviewing the peers which helped me broaden my interest and also helped me understand the quality and style of writing that other students of the same field have.

By Paul Z

Oct 08, 2018

Good videos. Lots of material for consideration. Good assignments! I really enjoyed stretching my comfort zone a bit . Particularly in the last exercise. Jumping from 1st Person to Omniscient POV. Had not given point of view so much brain time!!

By Melissa C

Mar 18, 2016

Great insight into character, voice and connecting with our story. The professor also references books that can be read to further our understanding. The only drawback is that auditing students cannot participate in feedback on assignments.

By Darci C

Jun 01, 2016

Prof. Bloom was very interesting to watch and listen to. The course was well organized and free of technical issues, but it didn't seem quite as thorough a discussion of the topic as the plot course was. Very close to 5 stars.

By Eve B

Dec 02, 2017

I really enjoyed the lectures of the course and found Amy Bloom to be an informative and relatable writer and lecturer. The assignments were a bit odd, in my opinion, but maybe that's the way writing assignments are in general?

By Noha D

Nov 08, 2017

Good course, i have learned few very useful concepts, thanks to Amy.

The last assignment was genius, helped us to really recognize differences between two POV,.

However, first assignments were a little bit confusing.

By Andrea G G

May 06, 2020

The course improved my skills on writing the stories from different perspectives and points of view. It pretty much complement the other course about plot. I am very satisfied with the things I've learnt so far.

By Jane D

Jul 31, 2019

I enjoyed the lectures, but perhaps there could be more examples in writing. Like parts of stories we could read, especially with idiosyncrasies. I felt like I needed to see those things in action, on paper.

By Sharon

Mar 15, 2016

I enjoyed Amy Bloom's guidelines and am keen to create some well rounded characters. Thank you for enabling me to follow along without having to pay ( no evaluation of the assignments).

By lisa r

Jun 17, 2016

This course was very interesting and the assignments were good. I thought it relied too much on conversations with other authors but overall it was enjoyable and I learned new skills.

By S. J W

Mar 20, 2016

I do not understand why these courses over lap. I finished #2 today, tried to start #3 but found that I had 10 hours to complete the first weeks assignment? Who is in charge out there?

By Mohammad S

Jun 25, 2017

The assignments tend to be very confusing, I understand that they make sense for making characters, the difficulty might just be with the characters, but they are quite confusing.

By Tomilyn R

Sep 30, 2018

Coursera technology should improve since many people don't take the critiques seriously, and there's no way to measure someone who just writes 'yes' in every box.

By Kimberly F

Aug 22, 2019

I liked this class, but would have gotten more out of it had there been less conversation videos. I like some direct lecture to cement new knowledge.

By Kaitlyn B

Aug 08, 2019

This was a good course that helped me broaden my POV writing style, though the assignments were difficult to do, and one was difficult to understand.

By Keith G

Oct 03, 2019

I found the content useful but was irritated by how parochial the references to other writers were. There is a big wide world outside of the USA!

By Geoff N

Feb 27, 2017

A well thought out course that was very illuminating. Not sure about the complexity of week 2's assignment, but overall good value.

By Catalina v w

Oct 17, 2019

I found this course less informative than the Craft of Plot. A lot of the assignments seemed to have little to do with the videos.

By Andrea G

Mar 23, 2016

I liked it overall, though there were some glitches and I was hoping that there'd be at least some feedback from course organizer.

By Fernanda B

Oct 25, 2017

I loved this course, but sometimes the assignments weren't quite clear. Apart from that, the teacher is genius and it's great.

By Iryna A

Aug 09, 2017

Even though I enjoyed the course, I found the description of the assignments sometimes very confusing and lacking in details.

By J-Man

Oct 24, 2019

A helpful overall look at character but not particularly deep, still useful even for a refresher when writing something new

By Chew W Y

Jun 22, 2016

The material is interesting and relevant. I found the assignments challenging and the review questions slightly lengthy.