Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

26 - 50 of 292 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Aprielle T

Aug 30, 2018

I learned a lot from this course which will definitely help me with my writing and career goals.

By Остапец Д Д

Aug 31, 2018

By Gary L

Oct 18, 2018

This course helped a great deal. I can honestly say that a step in knowing how to create a believable character. Also, it helped me realize the difference in the different point of views through which a story can be told, and I discovered my favorite and my weaknesses in it. Safe to say the feedback from the assignments played a big part. Thank you and to all the other learners who sent me feedback.

By Quynh N H

Oct 21, 2018

This course helped sharpen my noticing skills. The suggested reading is immensely helpful. The feedback is invaluable and I will be going back to some of those to transform those exercises into short stories. Thank you so much for the public access to this course! I am indebted to you. A MOOC is truly a life transforming invention, giving people the tools to improve on their skills. I can't imagine life without a MOOC! My goodness!

By Ramona K

Oct 29, 2018

This gave me a new perspective on Character and I believe it will help my characters become more true to life than they have been.

By Leo J R

Oct 29, 2018

Nicely done Weslyan! Well paced, interesting assignments.

By Shirley B

Nov 02, 2018

Excellent course - I have learned so much. Thank you to the awesome teachers

By Brigitte P

Nov 19, 2018

Love this course. The videos were well presented and explained and the assignments were good practice.

By Homer W

Aug 06, 2018

"The Craft of Character" is a basic building block to understanding character narration.

By josé c l h

Jul 21, 2018

A vibrant

By Lisa K

Oct 01, 2018

This course is wonderfully crafted; the assignments were creative and challenging, the lectures deeply knowing, expressive and, of course, articulate, and I love Amy Bloom.

By Renee C W

Sep 06, 2018

Insightful lectures and great assignments that challenged me as a writer, further honing my craft

By Denise F

Aug 07, 2018

Learned a lot! Love Amy Bloom's teaching.

By R.K. M

Jan 24, 2018

This course had great focus and helped highlight and give remedies for a number of areas where I need a great deal of improvement. Both the instruction and the peer review was very helpful.

By Berta-Isabel C

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!

By Allan R A

Mar 18, 2018

Amy Bloom makes a student writer feel he or she is the only student in the world. She shares what she has learned and points to excellent models in literature and writing. We learn that writers love to talk to each other about their craft, and, by golly, we're invited right into their circles of conversation. Of course, it's all pre-programmed and produced for a large audience, but it's authentic, friendly, and best of all, it's wise.

By Julian M

Jul 25, 2017

Lovely class.

By Khemchand S

Jan 25, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.

By Mary B P

Aug 28, 2016

Great course.

By Dee M

Apr 11, 2016

Wonderful. Really helpful course.

By José A C R

Apr 13, 2017

A good course with many recommendations on how to build a character.

By Grace H

Apr 24, 2018

The input from the published authors was great, for many reasons. But one of the things I appreciated most is that they weren't all the same. They gave a variety of perspectives that presented the fullness and freedom of writing. Each one had strong opinions and strategies, but since they were different from each other, we were set free to glean different flavors as they fit our own style. This is what sets good teaching apart - giving good solid options to choose from as we craft our characters and our own voice in presenting them.

By arya k s

Mar 08, 2018

Loved this course. It has been designed in a way that makes you think at characters from different perspectives. It drives into making healthy writing habits.

By Michelle D

Mar 31, 2017

Outstanding: Provides many tools to help the author better tell their story. Yeah

By Victoria W S

Jun 25, 2017

I have enjoyed this very thorough class. Although some of the assignment titles were misleading, the assignments overall were very good once I understood them. At first I did not like having to get feedback and give feedback on assignments, but as the course went on, I was able to see the value in this and understand why it was set up this way. By week 4, the observations of classmates not only resonated with my own about our writings but also enlightened some of the thoughts I hadn't yet put into words yet so I was able to articulate them and understand them better. Great course!!