Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

101 - 125 of 344 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Victoria F S

Dec 28, 2018

All of the Creative Writing courses have been helpful to me in grounding me in my writing practice. I cannot thank you all enough for this experience.

By Raul N C G

Dec 21, 2018

Good course and interesting exercises. The instructor tackled the course in a bit different way that works fairly well for the course and its content.

By Trish S

Nov 09, 2016

This course offers great ideas and tools on how to make a character more 3D. Helpful links are offered and the discussion boards are very well done.

By Aisha K

Jun 30, 2016

Excellent scaffolding of exercises to provide a broad intro aspects of character development. Enjoyable, meaningful, and great teaching methodology!

By Polina K

Feb 23, 2019

I learned a lot thanks to this course. The teachers are wonderful, and so is the information provided. I can feel my writing improve. Thank you:)

By Perri Z

May 31, 2017

I enjoyed listening to and reading each assignment's parts , all relevant and added more to my own learning perspective in developing characters.

By Hiobi H

Sep 05, 2017

Merci une fois de plus pour ce cours très très instructif. Les enseignants m'aident à poursuivre mon projet de littéraire actuellement en cours.

By TJ S

Jul 05, 2018

Don't shy away from the challenging course material contained within, especially in Module 2. If writing was easy...y'know where this is going.

By Emily H

Mar 05, 2020

Really great video examples and writing prompts. Peer reviews have been insightful and I've enjoyed reading other's work. Great series so far!

By Abrar A A

Mar 20, 2018

I love the professor. Her tips and lessons and also the assignments.. They were quite challenging and took time to understand.. but I loved it

By Victoria

Dec 06, 2017

Great exercises that are very effective. A well-taught course with clever instruction designed to get you to the heart of writing character.

By Mariana

Mar 14, 2016

Wonderful! Very informative. Filled with examples, literature and very interesting interviews! Thank you so much! You're a great teacher!

By Yvette H

Oct 24, 2017

Really loved this course but the assignment instructions could be simplified. I cut and pasted them then added bullets to sort them out.

By James H

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent course. It regenerated my creativity which is what I hoped for and it cleared up some confusion I had about point of view.

By Ramona K

Oct 29, 2018

This gave me a new perspective on Character and I believe it will help my characters become more true to life than they have been.

By Aruna N

May 07, 2018

Really useful materials and exercises, working through the question of characterisation in a systematic and thought-provoking way.

By Giovanna A d C

Nov 09, 2016

Is too bad that for those who can't pay can't be evaluated on the assignments. But the whole course is very good and interesting!

By Berta-Isabel C

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!

By Sam ( D C

Mar 06, 2016

I am learning a lot, particularly that I can write up to several thousand words per day; not just words, but meaningful words.

By adriene j

Jan 31, 2018

Supremely challenging in a terrific way. Amy Bloom top notch. Student reviews tremendously helpful. Try it. You lose nothing!

By Mohd F

Oct 08, 2019

I learnt so much about the developing of characters and Week 4 about Point of view is incredible. Glad to take this course.

By Varnika K

Jan 29, 2017

A pleasure to have learned under such accomplished writers and teachers. Thank you. A beautifully well conducted course.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Roy N

Jan 08, 2018

This course challenged me and my process for developing characters. It provided me new perspectives on how to do that.

By Khemchand S

Jan 25, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.