Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

101 - 125 of 290 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Abrar A A

Mar 20, 2018

I love the professor. Her tips and lessons and also the assignments.. They were quite challenging and took time to understand.. but I loved it

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and the other related courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By Maihaa R

Aug 28, 2016

Excellent On-line Course in Creative Writing developing Character. Amy Bloom was an exceptional Instructor, both in her lesson planning and video lectures and interviews, as well as in her caring monitoring of the class involvement, progress and questions. Thank you, Amy, for offering us your knowledge in such an interesting and engaging form!

By Srinivas R

Jun 26, 2017

Helped me build and develop exciting characters.

By Angelo B

Mar 20, 2016

I love writing, and even if English is not my mother tongue this course is enjoyable and useful!

By Johanne L L

Jun 08, 2016

Amazing teacher, wonderful content - incredibly recommended!

By Najwat R

May 31, 2018

Excellent course that teaches you the nuances of character, point of view and narration. Highly recommended.

By Claretta T W

May 01, 2016

I enjoyed the pace of this course and the constructive feedback I received from fellow students.

By Varnika K

Jan 29, 2017

A pleasure to have learned under such accomplished writers and teachers. Thank you. A beautifully well conducted course.

By MP

Aug 13, 2017

Excellent course. I enjoyed how the instructors brought the content together.

By Susan W

Nov 22, 2016

What a pleasure to learn from Amy Bloom!

By Anjum

May 21, 2017

The course is excellent and I want to learn more. I enjoyed the first assignment and was disappointed when I couldn't submit the first assignment because I hadn't purchased the course.

By Chris B

Jun 09, 2016

Excellent course. Great assignments.

By Brian D

May 09, 2016

Very good course, gave a lot of insight on writing and specially about the character

By Hilal I

Nov 05, 2017

amy bloom, thank you, thank you, thank you 🙏

By R.K. M

Jan 24, 2018

This course had great focus and helped highlight and give remedies for a number of areas where I need a great deal of improvement. Both the instruction and the peer review was very helpful.

By Allan R A

Mar 18, 2018

Amy Bloom makes a student writer feel he or she is the only student in the world. She shares what she has learned and points to excellent models in literature and writing. We learn that writers love to talk to each other about their craft, and, by golly, we're invited right into their circles of conversation. Of course, it's all pre-programmed and produced for a large audience, but it's authentic, friendly, and best of all, it's wise.

By Alan F

Dec 27, 2017

Course addresses one of my fundamental weaknesses in writing. Helped a lot.

By Aecio d B V N

Jul 24, 2017

Some very interesting topics.

But, overall, the most interesting, challenging and fun part of the course were the exercises - they were the best part of the course.

By Victoria

Dec 06, 2017

Great exercises that are very effective. A well-taught course with clever instruction designed to get you to the heart of writing character.

By Eric W

Feb 02, 2017

Very useful, I love it.

By Aruna N

May 07, 2018

Really useful materials and exercises, working through the question of characterisation in a systematic and thought-provoking way.

By Debra T

Jun 13, 2018

Professor Bloom was so great and full of invaluable knowledge. I learned so much, thank you!

By Jose A P M

Jun 29, 2017

The interviews with professional writers are great! It's good to listen to people who are working with their minds and points of view and how they use that to create. Professor Amy Bloom has a great pedagogic skill. She asks the right questions and gives us great explanations.

By Vicky W

Jan 17, 2017

Great course. Incredibly helpful.