Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N

Sep 26, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

101 - 125 of 414 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Anjum

May 21, 2017

The course is excellent and I want to learn more. I enjoyed the first assignment and was disappointed when I couldn't submit the first assignment because I hadn't purchased the course.

By Jillian K

Dec 06, 2017

This course was an excellent blend of basics and simple intense assignments to practice the concepts learned. I enjoyed every course in the Creative Writing Specialization. Thank you

By Michael Y

Feb 08, 2019

The second part of Wesleyan's Creative Writing course is, yet again, a wealth of knowledge for aspiring writers of all types. Thanks to Amy Bloom, Coursera, and Wesleyan University!

By Alyanna J d L

Jul 26, 2017

I am glad I can view the lectures even I have no money to pay for the course. I really love writing (in my own native language) so the course is really a lot of help! I love it! :)

By Brian C

Aug 18, 2017

You know something is amiss with your writing when a friend suggests more character development and you have to ask them what that means. This course was enjoyable a great start.

By 张凯

Aug 07, 2016

I like this course. I have done some good job and at the same time I can feel some disadvantages of myself. I learned how to find, create a character and how to make them alive.

By LeAttol ( E L

Jan 09, 2019

The students submitting offer a surprising amount of talent and inspiration. The course itself is well made so as to provide students with the rationale to overachieve -LeAttol

By Sanjana N

Nov 30, 2019

The course was immensely helpful. Especially as a budding writer, it gets quite tough to put characters and dialogues into good words. This course helped me do exactly that.

By Carreen P

Nov 24, 2017

Amy Bloom is very clear in her thoughts and lucid in her explanations. A very well delivered series. Time well spent with great pleasure . Thank you for bringing this to us.

By Santiago C

Mar 31, 2016

It is a really good course, i've got some problems with the task, because it was a bit difficult for me as my native language is Spanish, but despite that, it went all good.

By Lisa K

Oct 01, 2018

This course is wonderfully crafted; the assignments were creative and challenging, the lectures deeply knowing, expressive and, of course, articulate, and I love Amy Bloom.

By Claudia

Aug 06, 2017

Wonderful course with tons of suggestion to make your characters memorable! The assignments were difficult but I enjoyed the challenge. Looking forward to the next one!

By Tina M

Jul 31, 2017

I learned so much, it's hard to pick just one thing. In conjunction with the other courses I feel as though my writing has evolved. I am excited to start a new project.

By Joe M

Jan 15, 2019

My second course in this specialization. Definitely had me thinking critically about how I write characters and a lot of tools that I hadn't really considered before.

By Sepas H

Dec 14, 2018

such a great course to take in order to get familiar with the integral foundations for anyone who is interested in creative writing but does not know where to start.

By Manjit S

Dec 09, 2019

I'd always struggled with describing characters and their inner motivations. The exercises helped me practice doing that. Now I'm much more comfortable doing that.

By Aecio d B V N

Jul 24, 2017

Some very interesting topics.

But, overall, the most interesting, challenging and fun part of the course were the exercises - they were the best part of the course.

By Abigail M

Mar 23, 2019

Estoy verdaderamente agradecida por la oportunidad de desarrollar mis habilidades trabajando en conjunto con personas que compartimos una misma pasión: escribir.

By Swapna B

Jul 23, 2020

I love the course. The teaching and the teachers are both amazing. I will fulfill my dream of being a successful author and this course is helping me in that.

By Nowshin N N

Jul 01, 2020

I enjoyed this course. learned a lot and made many mistakes, along the way this course taught me how to engage with your own character and that is the fun part.

By Elizabeth G

Jun 09, 2017

This was very helpful. More so, than plot. The feedback I received from my peers was better. I realized the power of POV. I also learned about looking at scenes

By Bharti J

Apr 09, 2018

Great course and interactive platform. Just one hitch! I would prefer to have the hard copy of the certificate as required by a Publishing house to get a job.

By arya k s

Mar 08, 2018

Loved this course. It has been designed in a way that makes you think at characters from different perspectives. It drives into making healthy writing habits.

By Jennifer T

Apr 16, 2018

Amy Bloom is such a wonderful speaker! Love the videos about crafting vivid and memorable characters. The peer reviewed assignments are challenging and fun.

By Matthew J G

Sep 06, 2017

I truly loved the tasks in this course. Also, the community found in the forums contributed to a noticeable progression of interesting topics and courseware.