Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

76 - 100 of 459 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Eliana H

Nov 1, 2019

It was an amazing experience, I learned a lot with all the material. The teacher and the professionals in the interviews were really helpful to advance and of course the other students opinions in the assignments makes me improve myself as writer, thank you so much for this oportunity.

By Ibrahim N

Nov 24, 2016

I don't know how to thank Amy Bloom for this course. Her positive aura and the help of the other writers taught me a lof things about creative approaches for creating a character and all other stuff about character creating. Thank you very much. I'll continue to the specialization.

By Melannie F I R D C

An informative and enjoyable creative writing course with engaging writing prompts that help learners review and practice various story writing techniques and approaches.

it's good both for those learning how to write stories and those wanting to hone their story writing skills.

By Catherine C

May 14, 2018

I already submitted a request for financial aid for creative writing specialization I don't know why it's not enabling me to access the homeworks please help me :( The financial aid was approved for this specialization why is it that they only let me access the first one??? :-(

By Jose A P M

Jun 29, 2017

The interviews with professional writers are great! It's good to listen to people who are working with their minds and points of view and how they use that to create. Professor Amy Bloom has a great pedagogic skill. She asks the right questions and gives us great explanations.

By Annette B

Mar 13, 2016

Another 5-star Wesleyan University creative writing course. Again, if you want to submit assignments and receive feedback from peers, this is not permitted if you're auditing the course. That aside, this course helps you consider character development on a more complex level.

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and the other related courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By Erin G

Feb 26, 2021

I learned a lot of new skills in this course, not just about character development — also learned to sketch out the whole character arc and then choose which details to use in the scene, as well as which point of view best presents the character — that was invaluable!

By TS A

The teacher was wonderful. I learned a lot from this course and I was anxious to go on. I want to thank her for her inspiration. After taking courses on Coursea for years (mostly computer related, some history), these two courses thus far have been the best of all.

By Sonia F

Sep 1, 2017

I've learnt a lot on this course specifically about character. I'm enrolled for all of the courses, as they are complimentary and some of the suggestions and tricks really make the difference to how I look at writing now. Thanks to Amy Bloom and her guests!

By Hui J H

May 23, 2019

Auditing this course was a great insight to many writers' own method and approach to the ideas of character, dialogue and voice! It was incredibly informative and I will be trying these suggestions out in my own writing exercises. Thank you team!

By Holly M

May 30, 2018

The second assignment is a bit confusing, but check the forums and it's better described. I loved the other assignments. I wish there was a bit more "teaching" and less interviews with authors. I loved learning about dialogue and point of view.

By Chloedale C C

Nov 20, 2016

I feel very inspired especially learning from the interviews. Even when I know I can't afford the course, just watching and listening to the videos is enough for me. The videos are educational, hinting famous stories that I would love to read.

By Victor M

Nov 30, 2020

It's a great course with extensive writing and course material. As a budding writer, i had been struggling to navigate the Character Development aspect of Creative Writing. Currently, i can do it in a heartbeat. Would recommend it to anyone.

By Khushboo K

Aug 24, 2020

I loved how Amy Bloom has inserted images in between the videos explaining about the craft of character. I love the eloquent description with examples that made the course easy to understand and I felt confident while doing the assignments.

By Beth P

Dec 8, 2020

I loved the writing prompts for this part of the Creative Writing Course - The Craft of Character.

The directions for assignments got more complex as the class went on. I got a lot of peer review feedback which was helpful and welcome.

By William I H

Sep 15, 2017

Loved the lectures and the assignments have improved my writing. It's a course, like the Plot course, that I can see myself retaking and it being just as useful. Would love to see a follow-on set of writing classes here too ;)

By Odirachukwumma A U

Mar 29, 2016

This is my best course in this specialization. The assignments were challenging and fun, and it also made me realize that I'm more of a character person. I find it easier to create a character then to write about the setting.

By S V

Mar 22, 2018

It was overall a terrific course which really made me to think things especially Week 2 and Week 3.

Great peers .

I always felt they gave me legit review for my work.

I look forward to come across all of you in next segment.

By Zakir H M

Aug 26, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Learning various techniques to come up with an effective character is really fascinating! I thank you very much for offering and conducting the course that is instructive in many a way.

By Sean D

Jul 23, 2018

Great course, although some of the assignment briefs could be clearer. I would definitely advise using the forums to help get advice form members and mentors and also search for assignment examples. Tough but rewarding.

By Tulia G

May 7, 2019

Excellent course for having the first insights about the different kind of narrator, learning about how to build background and subtext in order to show our characters trough details, actions, and locations. Thank you!

By Vim F

Sep 5, 2016

Just finished watching all the videos and it is excellent!

To say, 'well done' to any bit of good work is to take hold of the powers which have made the effort and strengthen them beyond our knowledge. Phillips Brooks

By Rodrigo B

Oct 24, 2020

Great! I was expecting a character-centered course, so getting to know that creating a character involves environment, how to use in a useful way (pardon for the pun) dialogue, etc; really opened my mind. Thanks!

By Pradyumna K

Jul 27, 2020

I found the course very well structured. It was easy to understand and added so much to my understanding of characters and point of view. The assignments were a little tough but I think that is only a plus point!