Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

26 - 50 of 380 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Allan R A

Mar 18, 2018

Amy Bloom makes a student writer feel he or she is the only student in the world. She shares what she has learned and points to excellent models in literature and writing. We learn that writers love to talk to each other about their craft, and, by golly, we're invited right into their circles of conversation. Of course, it's all pre-programmed and produced for a large audience, but it's authentic, friendly, and best of all, it's wise.

By Kavin P

Jul 09, 2020

Whether you are a hobbyist writer or a literature student, whether you dream to publish or keep your writing close to you in your journal - this course will literally "Blow a Soul" in your writing, with the ability of creating characters, whom we find connection with!

Various methods and also experience shared by many seasoned novelists!

Thank you Wesleyan University and Coursera, for providing such a wonderful course!

By Patricia H V R

Mar 26, 2020

The course is excellent. It makes invaluable contributions to the subject of creating characters. It is a quite good and illustrative initiation, which opens up ways to learn more from the great masters of literature and to be more attentive to the details that people manifest in real life, since this makes it possible to learn how to make the characters more concrete in the fictions that are created from now on.

By Christine W

Sep 17, 2018

I got out of this module exactly what I put into it. While the videos do a reasonably good job of outlining a basic understanding, I found that I wanted more info, especially as concerns POV. For some reason, omniscient 3rd person was a tough concept to grasp. But I've since learned that POV can make or break a story, particularly if you don't know which one you're using and/or keep fluctuating from one to another.

By Klurisa H

Sep 25, 2016

This course was challenging and informative. The ability to speed up and slow down the video lectures is fantastic. These video lectures are jammed packed with information and I often listen to parts again and again to grasp a solid understanding. Without this feature this would become tedious and boring. The lecturers are knowledgeable and the words chosen to explain the content are spot on. Thanks. Loved it.

By Jasmine V

May 06, 2020

Absolutely fantastic course. So helpful. I feel I am well on my way to being confident enough to write novels. I will soon be ready to put pen to paper.

Thank you so much to all of the professors, teachers and authors that feature in this course. I am so grateful. Also, a huge thank you to all of my peers who gave me constructive and awesome feedback, I am really pleased.

I can't wait to start this career journey!

By Phillip L

Sep 22, 2016

I very much enjoyed this course, and found it to be very useful and effective in improving my writing. The format of interviews with different writers iengaging and interesting. The most valuable part was the weekly writing assignments, and the peer reviews. The feedback I received was very useful to me, and I found that giving feedback to others also helped to advance my own insights and understanding.

By Gary L

Oct 18, 2018

This course helped a great deal. I can honestly say that a step in knowing how to create a believable character. Also, it helped me realize the difference in the different point of views through which a story can be told, and I discovered my favorite and my weaknesses in it. Safe to say the feedback from the assignments played a big part. Thank you and to all the other learners who sent me feedback.

By Isabelle S

Mar 26, 2018

This is a really interesting course with fun, challenging assignments. I really enjoyed Amy’s lectures and the interviews with published authors were fantastic too. The course included lots of useful examples from literature. And the course covers more than just superficial characters, unlike some other courses, it really delves into what makes characters and their stories tick.

By Veony V

Jul 20, 2020

I learned so much from this course regarding how to create a strong character. I came to realize that there are so many things I can do to pops out my fictional character's personality and that little thing such as the way the character speak, read, or dress really matter to a story. I'm very grateful to Ms Amy Bloom and Coursera to make this course possible.

By Abhinav T

Jan 19, 2017

Amy Bloom covers a very difficult topic of craft of character in her course and she does it really well. The course is very well designed and Amy explains everything in so much detail. My only feedback is that at least few of tools and methods should be explained to students as a beginner will have an extremely difficult time in creating characters.

By Sara H J

May 01, 2020

It was a pleasure to learn from exceptional author, Amy Bloom, every detail about the crafting of characters. I believed I had some doubts when it came down to create my characters, but this course has given them other dimension in my mind.

So far, this and the Craft of Plot have been excellent courses that I'd highly recommend.

Thank you so much!

By Maihaa R

Aug 28, 2016

Excellent On-line Course in Creative Writing developing Character. Amy Bloom was an exceptional Instructor, both in her lesson planning and video lectures and interviews, as well as in her caring monitoring of the class involvement, progress and questions. Thank you, Amy, for offering us your knowledge in such an interesting and engaging form!

By Alfred K

Nov 27, 2018

Amy Bloom is everything you will want in teacher. Character was never known until I started this course. Who is the character in the story, what quirks, beliefs, normal or abnormal behaviour do the show? I learnt a lot from this course and keep renewing my knowledge when ever \i fell the need to.

It was fun and enjoyable. Thank you Amy.

By chris j b

Mar 01, 2019

Amy Bloom is such a caring, conscientious, nurturing teacher, who addresses the class (via video camera) as if only speaking to you. There's a kind of intimacy to her teaching style, and her sincerity and expertise at expressing concepts and examples of character craft allowed her teachings to truly "seat" in my mind. Thank you, Amy.

By Ayah A

Dec 05, 2019

it's been hard for me at the beginning then I started writing real characters so easily. I learned a lot from this course and from the stories my peers have written. Thank you so much.

I just have a comment about the second assignment, the description wasn't clear enough so, it'll be nice if you can edit it a little bit.

By Rahul P

Jun 08, 2020

The course really helped me to understand the basics that we usually forget when we write -THE CHARACTERS. We focus on the plotting and the events so much that we end up neglecting the minute details about the character which makes a huge difference on the story. The course really helped me with it. Thank you coursera.

By Luana B

Jun 19, 2016

The course was great. I really liked the way the teacher explained about the characters, it was really helpful. Also, I like the fact she suggested a lot of books to read about characters.

Last, but not least the assignments to do were really interesting. I suggest this course to anybody who is interesting in writing.

By Jerri L L

May 17, 2016

I have enjoyed Amy Bloom's lectures and guidance on character. I feel as if I'm making different choices in the words that I use now, as well as focusing more on characters and how they can move (or not) a story. The assignments really helped me to lazer in on specific language that helps to illuminate character.

By Kelly D W

May 05, 2016

This was a great course...so much detail and she asked to many questions that it really makes you think and then helps you to determine how to apply it to your story. Amy Bloom was very easy to listen to and learn from. The assignments were thought provoking and definitely helped me to hone my writing skills.

By Lisa D

Jun 08, 2018

I think this is a phenomenal class that really helps you get into the head of your characters! I love all the amazing writers that are brought in through the Coursera community to teach and lecture! I really felt like I have pushed myself and learned something through taking these classes! Outstanding.

By Sebastien M

Sep 05, 2017

This course was great for stretching me into area I was looking to improve on. I knew from my writing I needed to get out of doing certain habit because it seemed monotonous to read. Amy did a great job of jarring me from my ruts. I think this has opened up my writing a bit more also. Thank you Amy.

By Maria-Isabel C

Dec 06, 2017

I highly recommend this course for the beginner writer. Ms. Amy Bloom is a great writer and lecturer! I really enjoyed the way she guided the course and how she presented this subject. It was easy to follow and definitely encouraged me to continue preparing myself to become a writer. Thank you!

By Matt D

Jul 05, 2017

Amy Bloom has a way about her that makes it very easy to receive her information, to take it in and digest it. There is a bounty of excellent teaching in this course, a variety of different perspectives on how to sculpt characters that I would've probably never encountered otherwise. Thanks, Amy!

By Cornelia B

Jan 23, 2019

Amy Bloom's way of taking you right down to the essence of things brings a debth to your understanding of creative writing and ups your work. Her focus in the course on character and how to reveal this critical part of your writing is an essential tool any aspiring writer should have. A must do!