Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

76 - 100 of 292 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By William I H

Sep 15, 2017

Loved the lectures and the assignments have improved my writing. It's a course, like the Plot course, that I can see myself retaking and it being just as useful. Would love to see a follow-on set of writing classes here too ;)

By Dima M M R

Oct 18, 2017

Very challenging, pushes your ability and limits of creativity

By Dev V

Aug 08, 2016

A really thorough course into making characters. I personally think that I have leaped further, in the quality of my writing. Recommend it to anyone willing to spend time to work on their writing.

By sebastien m

Sep 05, 2017

This course was great for stretching me into area I was looking to improve on. I knew from my writing I needed to get out of doing certain habit because it seemed monotonous to read. Amy did a great job of jarring me from my ruts. I think this has opened up my writing a bit more also. Thank you Amy.

By Elizabeth G

Jun 09, 2017

This was very helpful. More so, than plot. The feedback I received from my peers was better. I realized the power of POV. I also learned about looking at scenes

By Catherine C

May 14, 2018

I already submitted a request for financial aid for creative writing specialization I don't know why it's not enabling me to access the homeworks please help me :( The financial aid was approved for this specialization why is it that they only let me access the first one??? :-(

By Holly M

May 30, 2018

The second assignment is a bit confusing, but check the forums and it's better described. I loved the other assignments. I wish there was a bit more "teaching" and less interviews with authors. I loved learning about dialogue and point of view.

By Charles T

Jun 14, 2017

--The videos were very interesting, especially the discussions with other writers.

-- The four exercises were worthwhile and challenging--perhaps too challenging for some of the participants, based on the pieces I read. Note that two hours isn't nearly long enough to do most of these exercises if the objective is to produce a piece that is both well thought through and well written.

--I found the peer reviews to be highly variable in quality.

-- Some textual material should be included in the course. We can always cut and paste the transcripts of the lectures--but why not provide easily accessible lecture notes? And there should also be instructional materials other then the lectures.

-- The questions asked of the peer reviewers are good ones. They would provide useful guidance in dealing with the assignment. Why not give them out along with the assignment?

By JOHN Q

Jun 25, 2016

great course!

By Florencia P

Oct 16, 2017

Extrordinary!!!

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Jenny J G L

Feb 16, 2018

Very interesting course. I've learned a lot. The best part of this course is the challenging exercises!

By Berta-Isabel C

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!

By Julian M

Jul 25, 2017

Lovely class.

By Khemchand S

Jan 25, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.

By Mary B P

Aug 28, 2016

Great course.

By Dee M

Apr 11, 2016

Wonderful. Really helpful course.

By José A C R

Apr 13, 2017

A good course with many recommendations on how to build a character.

By Grace H

Apr 24, 2018

The input from the published authors was great, for many reasons. But one of the things I appreciated most is that they weren't all the same. They gave a variety of perspectives that presented the fullness and freedom of writing. Each one had strong opinions and strategies, but since they were different from each other, we were set free to glean different flavors as they fit our own style. This is what sets good teaching apart - giving good solid options to choose from as we craft our characters and our own voice in presenting them.

By Carol W

Nov 08, 2016

Great course, the instructor provided insights into what makes a character interesting.

By Cora B

Apr 02, 2016

Enjoyed building my characters as the course progressed.

By Hiobi H

Sep 05, 2017

Merci une fois de plus pour ce cours très très instructif. Les enseignants m'aident à poursuivre mon projet de littéraire actuellement en cours.

By Annette B

Mar 14, 2016

Another 5-star Wesleyan University creative writing course. Again, if you want to submit assignments and receive feedback from peers, this is not permitted if you're auditing the course. That aside, this course helps you consider character development on a more complex level.

By Charlotte M R F

Sep 25, 2016

Wondeful information on creating characters and breathing life into them.

By Daniel C