Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

126 - 150 of 363 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Ashish N

Jun 15, 2020

The session was very indulging and lucid. I felt at very ease learning from Ms. Amy. Just an amazing experience overall.

By Varnika K

Jan 29, 2017

A pleasure to have learned under such accomplished writers and teachers. Thank you. A beautifully well conducted course.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Roy N

Jan 08, 2018

This course challenged me and my process for developing characters. It provided me new perspectives on how to do that.

By Khemchand S

Jan 25, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.

By Jenny B

May 01, 2018

I found the tasks in this course quite challenging but pleased I persevered and grateful for some great feedback.

By Cristofer C L

Aug 08, 2016

This course was very helpful in showing us how to create characters that writer and reader both can really know.

By Orjuwan M A J

I was to thank the professor for her wonderful torturing . I have learnt quite a lot and gained many experience

By Najwat R

May 31, 2018

Excellent course that teaches you the nuances of character, point of view and narration. Highly recommended.

By Juanita J

Oct 05, 2017

Enjoyed the material and content which was challenging. I end this course with r more pieces to develope.

May 15, 2017

Great course! Best quality writing class I have taken in years. The specialization is amazing. Thank you.

By Shweta B

Jun 11, 2018

Its fantastic specially the assignments are very good and help you understand your skills and weaknesses

By Donald S P

Jun 14, 2018

very interesting exploration of the components of character, and the discussion of voice, etc. Loved it

By Jenny J G L

Feb 16, 2018

Very interesting course. I've learned a lot. The best part of this course is the challenging exercises!

By Brigitte P

Nov 19, 2018

Love this course. The videos were well presented and explained and the assignments were good practice.

By Frankie W

Mar 08, 2019

Amy Bloom was amazing. I loved her style of teaching. I would absolutely take a class with her again

By Lynnette O

Feb 02, 2017

I had no idea how much I didn't know! I enjoyed the class and felt like I learned a lot. Thank you!

By james r

Mar 21, 2019

I see a marked improvement in both my confidence and skill as a writer from each of these classes.

By Amnah M d P Z E

Apr 13, 2020

I think this course teaches you a lot of writing skills and really helps to make a good character

By Renee C W

Sep 06, 2018

Insightful lectures and great assignments that challenged me as a writer, further honing my craft

By Shalini N

Jul 17, 2018

Great course! Nice assignments! Makes you really think through different aspects of your writing.

By Aprielle T

Aug 30, 2018

I learned a lot from this course which will definitely help me with my writing and career goals.

By Claretta T W

May 01, 2016

I enjoyed the pace of this course and the constructive feedback I received from fellow students.

By Angelo B

Mar 20, 2016

I love writing, and even if English is not my mother tongue this course is enjoyable and useful!

By Carmen L B

Jun 13, 2019

With this course, I gathered a strong sense of how to develop a character for a story or scene.