Back to Dairy Production and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dairy Production and Management by The Pennsylvania State University

With the world's first MOOOOO-C, you will gain a broad and comprehensive understanding of all aspects of dairy management such as genetics, nutrition, reproduction, animal health, farm economics, and sustainability of dairy production systems. There's something here for everyone whether you are just looking for the basics or have years of experience in the dairy industry. This is an eight-week course. Each week consists of four to nine video lectures, additional reading materials, and a multiple-choice questions quiz. Estimated study time is between three and five hours per week. Learners have the option to purchase a Course Certificate for 49.00 USD. The certificate can be purchased at any time, but you must verify your identify before taking the course quizzes in order to be eligible. For those who cannot afford the certificate fee, financial aid is available through Coursera. Why is producing milk efficiently and sustainably so important? Milk provides humans with over 16 essential nutrients, such as: Energy, Protein and Essential Amino acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, several B vitamins, including B12, Pantothenic and Folic acids, and essential minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, as well as other minerals. Did you know that one glass of milk provides a 5-year old child with 21% of his/her daily protein requirements and 8% of their energy needs? Most milk in the world, about 85%, is produced from cattle. However, water buffaloes, goats, sheep, and camel are also dairy animals. The United States, India, the European Union, Brazil, and New Zealand are among the largest dairy producers in the world. Yet among these dairy-producing countries there are varied methods to generate milk with highly variable productivity and efficiency. Dairy production is vital for the survival of billions of people. Globally, around 150 million small-scale dairy households, equivalent to 750 million people, are engaged in milk production. The number and size of dairy farms varies among countries, but in India alone, there are estimated 78 million dairy farms! In the United States, one of the leading milk-producing countries in the world, total milk production has been steadily increasing in the last decades, reaching over 205 billion pounds (93 billion kilograms) in 2014. This was accompanied by a steady increase in average milk yield per cow, reaching 22,260 lb (over 10,100 kg) per lactation in 2014. How has this efficiency been achieved? What methods are necessary to ensure production of high quality milk? How do we balance milk production efficiency with animal health and environmental protection? This course will provide the student with information to better understand dairy production systems and their role in feeding the world population. In this MOOOOO-C, you will learn about the dairy enterprise from internationally recognized dairy science professors who have delivered highly regarded dairy education programs within the United States and internationally. Course lectures are translated into Portuguese and Chinese; PDF files of these translations can be found under each course week. The Dairy MOOC team thanks Dr. Antonio Branco (Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Brazil) and Ms. Yuanyuan Zhang (Pennsylvania State University) for translating the lecture materials. Course Sponsors This course was supported by the generous contributions of Innovation Center for US Dairy at Silver Level and Pancosma North America, RP Nutrients, Inc. and Arm and Hammer, which provided funding support at a Bronze Level. The Pennsylvania State University has final responsibility for the academic content of this course....

MF
Jul 30, 2021

Overall good but in health sections more diseases should be discussed with their treatment. Feed management should be simplified like how much forage, grain, feed needed for per 100 kg of weight etc.

AC
Nov 14, 2020

The course gave a clear and detailed view of all the compartments of the dairy industry with specific number and studies that give a clear message of the development and the cycle of the industry,

26 - 50 of 320 Reviews for Dairy Production and Management

By Syed M A R

Aug 2, 2020

It was really one of the best learning experience I ever had. Thanks to all of the experienced professors, I learnt a lot from you people. I hope to see you again.

I am also very thankful to Penn State University and Coursera Team for arranging such a great platform for learning.

Regards

By LAXMI N S

Aug 26, 2021

Excellent course explaining the practical aspects of dairy management. More emphasis could be given on animal health management and dairy economic measures to calculate profitability. tototo

By Shahzaib

Dec 20, 2019

it was an amazing course which help me to understand the dairy production and management and also help me to improve my knowledge regarding dairy management as well as skills.

Thank you.

By Martin J E G F

May 4, 2016

Good course, teaches how are actually big dairy enterprises, in a country with unlimited resources, it`s not usefull in develeping countries, and doesn`t teach how to understand the way to start a business and the differences in small, medium, big and gigantic business in diary production. Aren`t there any small diary farm en USA ? It`s not feaseble to start a small diary business in USA? How different in costs and profit are diary in different countries?, How USA government helps diary business in USA? Thanks for your teaching and Sharing your experiences.

By Jessica P

Oct 25, 2016

Lots of information, but could be presented in a more learner-friendly manner. Not a lot of information for someone who wishes to learn about organic/holistic dairy management.

By Swati J

Oct 19, 2021

This was my first course with Coursera, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire course, along with the videos and the material. I wish it was a little longer. I recommend going through the reading material immediately after the video lesson and taking notes from both videos and pdf as it has helped me so much with the quiz at the end. I would like to thank everybody at PennState for creating this course :)

By Andrew K

Jul 9, 2021

Learned a lot. The perfect course. Well structured with clear lectures and good production quality. Wish I had passionate Professors like this when I was at College. Much thought has gone into making this course an exemplary example of what can be achieved with a MOOC. Knowledge is power and I am sure this course has empowered many. Thank you.

By Yusuf T

Jan 17, 2019

Dairy Production and Management course is a well-designed and prepared course. I highly recommend to professionals who want to learn comprehensive methods of modern dairy farming. Thank you so much for all the instructors for their great work on course content and teaching way.

By Peter J S

Aug 27, 2020

The Dairy Production and Management course provided me with an incredible opportunity to learn about dairy farming where I would not be able to learn outside a University or a dairy farm. Thank you to all of the instructors and Penn State University for providing the training.

By Eddy L

May 5, 2016

Excellent course.

It is a really good overview about Dairy Production and Management. It does not bore with too much detail. However provides enough additional material to work with and get as far into the subject as one wishes to.

Thank you so very much for this online course.

By Erik F

Nov 26, 2016

Excelente curso, con videos de alto nivel técnico e información actualizada, excelente todo el material en cada uno de los módulos, recomendados a aquellos les guste la producción lechera. Espero que sigan sacando cursos de este tipo. Recomendado a la comunidad de Coursera.

By Utibe O

Jul 28, 2020

Thank you Coursera for this opportunity. This course has really opened my eyes to many things I had little or no idea about. I can now speak boldly on the subject of dairy production and management. I am very excited that I enrolled for this course. Thank you!

By Johanna C

May 2, 2016

Very interesting course covered a number of different areas I was particularly keen on the sustainable and environmental issues. I don't have any farm animals but it still taught me a huge amount of what is involved in getting a pint of milk to ones doorstep

By Edwin J T

Jul 9, 2020

What a fantastic course. I have learned more to bring me up to date with modern practices.

The knowledge from the Professors on the course and how the course is structured and delivered has been excellent.

Well done for giving this opportunity within reach.

By Hussaini S M

Jan 29, 2020

Very interesting and educative course indeed. I have just started Dairy Farming and the course has given me a lot of insights and best practices in Dairy Management from Breed Selection to Nutrition, Reproduction / Farm Management practices and Economics.

By Lenin A

Jul 24, 2020

This is a wonderful course for beginners. Provides valuable knowledge to people like me who are looking into change of career. I thank the professors and all faculty members profoundly for imparting much needed knowledge in Dairy farming and management.

By Vanessa S D

Jan 13, 2018

I really liked the course, the very complete topics and the doctors who gave it with very useful information. The app works for me perfect because it reminds you of the dates and you can take it at the moment you have time no matter the place. Thank you.

By Jayaprakash T

Jul 3, 2021

I liked the detailed information and presentation about the different aspects of Dairy Farming.

Every module is presented in a very simple and detailed manner. Appreciate the efforts of everyone who have taught me through this course.

Dr. Jayaprakash TG

By Sara S O

Apr 16, 2016

It is an excellent course! Thanks to it I have learned lots of things I dind't know about dairy farms. Also about care, food and needs of cows. The videos are so great and professors make lessons easy and accessible to all levels. 100% recommended!!

By Ernestine P I

Nov 1, 2020

Thank you for this opportunity to know more about dairy management. It made me realize that indeed we need to learn continuously. Thank you, Coursera for this opportunity! Continue to help everyone who seeks more knowledge and learning. More power!

By Elizabeth A R

May 31, 2016

Great course, loaded with information! Definitely worth going through for any cattle farmer or vet. My only complaint is that on some of the quizzes, you will never get the right answer because the answer keeps changing. But that can be fixed. :)

By Dakshayani S

Nov 22, 2020

I am grateful to Coursera and pennstate for providing this awesome course.It provided me with a lot of knowledge about the dairy field and covered vast range of topics that are very essential for a person working in this field.Thanks a lot!!!

By MUSA A

Jan 30, 2018

An excellent course from PSU. The instructors are superb and interesting to listen to. The aditional readings are unbeatable and they serve as good resources to perfect student understanding. Excellent score to coursera and PSU. Keep it up.

By Muhammad I

Nov 2, 2020

I am thankful to Coursera and Penststate University that provides me with a great experience and knowledge. But still I have not got my certificate, i am student and unemployed please give my hard work response with certificate. Thank you

By INAM-U-LLAH

Mar 22, 2018

This is a very good course for the people interested in dairy farming or for those who want to start a career in dairy farming. I would definitely recommend this course as a short term and efficient approach to learn about dairy farming.