Back to Data Structures

Data Structures, University of California San Diego

About this Course

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

By DG

May 24, 2016

I like this course very much! Rope is the cleverest task I have ever done! Of course, I hope in future I will work on even more difficult problems, but this is pretty good already for me as a student!

By TT

Apr 06, 2018

Data Structures was really interesting over all, also assignments are quite challenging. It's important to consult the external references & discussion forums if you want to get the best of it.

305 Reviews

By Tuan Nguyen

Apr 18, 2019

The professor explained in a clear way. But I don't think first 3 assigments is hard

By Rishav Rungta

Apr 05, 2019

I wish every assignment had the test cases

The course is awesome anyways and focuses on more than just grades.

By Suman Kumar

Apr 02, 2019

Best course to clear your Concept

By KENTARO MAJIMA

Mar 31, 2019

good for me

By Laxmi Thakur

Mar 20, 2019

Awesome Course

By Jeffrey Willette

Mar 20, 2019

Very good. I feel the discussion forums could be a little more active and responsive, but I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot

By Vadim Shaigorodskiy

Mar 18, 2019

The course gives a very good explanation about trees, maps and and lists. Must have for any software developer!

By Aditya Rai

Mar 16, 2019

It is a must course for anyone who wants to excel in computer science field, and this course will help in every possible way from easy explanation of topics to effective assessment along with helpful discussions.

Thanks for creating such a wonderful course.

By Dheepak Jaganathan

Mar 14, 2019

A) An eye opener course in my regards which is really well curated and organized.

B) I had gone had to learn a good deal of knowledge and software wisdom from this course that I highly RECOMMEND this to others.

C) Enroll into it and try to finish the assignments on time and I am sure you will end up seeing the results yourself...

" Well Done San Diego team"

By Cameron Hunter

Mar 11, 2019

Excellent course. Great coverage of data structures. Good practice questions and explanatory videos.