Back to Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures by University of California San Diego

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

DG
May 23, 2016

I like this course very much! Rope is the cleverest task I have ever done! Of course, I hope in future I will work on even more difficult problems, but this is pretty good already for me as a student!

PS
Jul 9, 2020

I think the course content and assignments were great. A suggestion though, it will be more helpful if there are more and varied corner cases that would save time spent in thinking and making cases.

76 - 100 of 655 Reviews for Data Structures

By MD A H Z

May 17, 2018

This is a great course to learn Data Structures. All the course materials are very helpful and easy to learn. The instructors are very focused with the content; they explained every topic very clearly and easily. I have learnt a lot from this course.

By Saveliy B

May 2, 2016

Great course, hard and challenging.

Couple comments.

Please use pen during lectures easier to follow and understand .

Some assignments require more then 8 hours to complete so please add to description of the course

(don't make assignment easier)

By David G

May 2, 2020

State-of-the-art programming techniques with detailed explanation of methodologies and why they are more efficient than basic solutions. Difficulty of the programming assignments ranges from easy practice exercises to really challenging problems.

By Martynas Š

May 27, 2018

It is a great course. But it would save a lot of time, if we could actually see errors of our submissions. Checking if your algorithm is working correctly (output wise), when you actually have a stack overflow on some test is very frustrating.

By Pradyumn A

Jan 3, 2019

This course helped me clear a lot of doubts as well as it introduced me to many useful things with their implementation. I must say this course is one of the best courses available on Coursera. Thanks to great instructors who helped me a lot.

By Ray S

Apr 13, 2016

Clear presentation of basic data structures with non-trivial applications. Material is presented very well for beginning coding or as a review. Online grading is better than many programming courses. Works well as a stand alone course.

By MEET S C

Apr 23, 2020

It was a wonderful experience in learning through this course, Thank you Coursera and University of California San Diego along with the National Research University Higher School Of Economics for making this course available to us.

By Zhilun C

May 21, 2019

pros: Very nice course, understandable materials, great instructors. I am very likely to recommand this course to my friends.

cons: The BST and AVL tree part seem to be a liittle unclear. The pseudocodes are not fully implemented.

By Serkan P

Nov 20, 2016

This is a great course. The lectures were easy to follow, CLRS references are also good to clarify anything that is not covered in the videos. Programming assignments are challenging enough and spot-on to practice the concepts.

By Weei D

Nov 17, 2017

At first, I think the homework is really difficult. Since it seems like there's black box test.

But gradually I get accustomed to it.

I've learned a lot. And I can felt my growth clearly after conquering some difficulties.

By Sebastian I E J

May 4, 2018

Once again, I am very pleased with the course in this specialization. Continues with the rigor and learning approach from the previous course, Algorithmic Toolbox, and builds upon it. Looking forward to the next course.

By Robert M

Mar 22, 2018

This course is so useful and has helped me to understand what's really going on under the hood with the Java Collections framework. I have no doubt that I will be writing more performant code day-to-day thanks to this.

By Ayush T

Nov 25, 2017

This course is really good. The way it is planned and taught is really appreciable. It contains really good problem. This course is for them who really want to improve their programming skills and their code quality.

By Mahima K

Nov 25, 2020

It was a very helpful course.It was easy and at the same time very challenging.All the proffesors are great.I highly reaccomend it to everyone , do give it a try , specially if you want to keep your brain working

By Hossam M

Nov 28, 2017

A highly-recommended & very useful course as part of building computer science base knowledge. Got introduced & practiced multiple data structures which was a must for me as I am not a computer science graduate.

By AMAN S

Dec 4, 2019

An excellent course with perfect videos, quizzes, and assignments. I have learned so much from this course. I'll recommend this course to everyone. It has deeply explained video lectures with slides supports.

By Natraj n c

Jun 17, 2019

An awesome course with real-world examples. Binary search trees lectures should be improved. They should have thought it with much detailed explanation. Anyways you will love this after doing assignments.

By Kislay K D

Jul 1, 2020

best thing is .... whatever you learn ,you implement it in code and increase your understanding about the topic.You get more clear view about how this algorithm can be implemented in different problems

By Dmitry G

May 24, 2016

By Jungho K

Jan 28, 2017

Even though this course requires completion of tough assignments, I believe that this gave me a chance to understand and grasp core concepts about data structure and also about programming skills.

By Seema

Dec 15, 2020

This is one of the appreciable course for the learners. The lectures and the reading material were great and the assignments was challenging. Overall this is a very good platform to learn.

By Abhinov M

Jan 19, 2020

The video content is nice. However, the best part of enrolling the course was the problem questions that were given. I learned a lot by solving the questions of programming assignments.

By Adam D

Feb 8, 2020

Excellent review on data structures. I've taken a graduate level course covering advanced data structures, but I was still able to learn new things through the challenging assignments.

By Moataz E

Aug 26, 2020

Course is very knowledgeable and is deigned properly but the allocated time for assignments is too less than the time specified. Also some assignments need more support in the forum

By Saurabh C

Feb 27, 2019

Perfect course for learning more about fundamental data structures, except for presentations on few difficult topics like splay trees, where explanations can be made more elaborate!