Back to Design Patterns

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design Patterns by University of Alberta

This course extends object-oriented analysis and design by incorporating design patterns to create interactive applications. Through a survey of established design patterns, you will gain a foundation for more complex software applications. Finally, you will identify problematic software designs by referencing a catalog of code smells. You will be challenged in the Capstone Project to redesign an existing Java-based Android application to implement a combination of design patterns. You will also critique a given Java codebase for code smells. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Demonstrate how to use design patterns to address user interface design issues. • Identify the most suitable design pattern to address a given application design problem. • Apply design principles (e.g., open-closed, dependency inversion, least knowledge). • Critique code by identifying and refactoring anti-patterns. • Apply the model-view-controller architectural pattern....

ZP
Sep 17, 2019

I have never had a chance to study CS at the university so I am always looking for ways to improve my knowledge - to keep up with fellow programmers. And this course met my requirements perfectly. :)

KP
Oct 26, 2020

This course was not easy, especially when you have zero knowledge on subject. But it is very helpful subject and will certainly be a plus for you career in software development.

26 - 50 of 189 Reviews for Design Patterns

By Babu S

Jun 4, 2021

The concepts had a lucid articulation. The course covered most of the design patterns including design principles behind them. I found it very useful.

By Ahmed M

May 9, 2020

i learned a lot form this great course thinks for every one who contribute for such a course and i hope i finish the rest of it's specialization

By LEE C K

Apr 22, 2020

great, lecture notes are well prepared, with hands-on assignment. My design getting more solid and well structured after taken this course.

By Yusuf I A

Great course, some of the patterns in GoF's book are covered in the course and some of the code smells are covered as well in a great way.

By marco s

Feb 15, 2021

Excellent. I've applied some concepts of the course right away on my job. It helps you to name things that you usually see in code bases.

By Liton M

Oct 13, 2020

The Course was very interesting and helpful. I think it will help to grow up my software development career and drag to the next level.

By Zois A

Oct 17, 2020

This course covers exactly how we are supposed to think as engineers, when it comes to using design patterns and writing clear code.

By LIUZHENTAO

Aug 10, 2020

This course is really content-rich. And the course projects are practical and useful! I am looking forward to the next course!

By MANAS C

May 25, 2021

The examples and way of explanation is very simplified and effective. Thank you for the wonderful course on Design Patterns.

By Ali S

Apr 1, 2018

Its a wonderful course for all the software engineers who use object-oriented paradigm for software application development.

By Rafael A E H

May 1, 2020

Great content, I would add a few more patterns, not necessarily for grading, but to have them as guide for when needed.

By Zhao H

Jan 23, 2021

This is a very very excellent course of which I've ever taken & would like to recommend it to my friends to expore.

By Huu A H N

Feb 6, 2021

Very practical approach of explaining design patterns. I also learned new anti-patterns. Thanks instructors!

By Maruf H

Brief introduction to design patterns. The lectures, quizes, assignments are all good. Recommended to take.

By Ebrahim A

Aug 3, 2018

you can just open the video to look to the beautiful instructor lady and how can she simplifies everything

By Dr. T J H

Sep 7, 2020

Nice examples for the design patterns, especially not just the default example for the Decorator Pattern.

By Dave T

Jul 12, 2021

Fantastic course which will take you out of your comfort zone in order to push you to the next level!

By Mwenemwami D B

Mar 18, 2019

Good course, really loving this specialization though I am a bit behind with progress as I wasnt well

By W M C B

May 4, 2020

Very valuable course. A must taken by all Software Engineers who will be working in this area.

By S W

Nov 26, 2018

Not great for last minute preparation. Missing some design patterns out of the 23 patterns.

By An V N

Apr 28, 2018

Awesome course! I learn a lot from this course for the ongoing project in my company

By Tirumalesh B

Jun 13, 2018

The course is very good. It deals with many design patterns and also anti-patterns.

By Fabrice L

Apr 17, 2018

Good coverage of design patterns, but a lot of lecture and not enough examples.

By Hilaida T D