Back to Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I) by University of California San Diego

4.4

Named a top 50 MOOC of all time by Class Central! This course begins a series of classes illustrating the power of computing in modern biology. Please join us on the frontier of bioinformatics to look for hidden messages in DNA without ever needing to put on a lab coat. In the first half of the course, we investigate DNA replication, and ask the question, where in the genome does DNA replication begin? We will see that we can answer this question for many bacteria using only some straightforward algorithms to look for hidden messages in the genome. In the second half of the course, we examine a different biological question, when we ask which DNA patterns play the role of molecular clocks. The cells in your body manage to maintain a circadian rhythm, but how is this achieved on the level of DNA? Once again, we will see that by knowing which hidden messages to look for, we can start to understand the amazingly complex language of DNA. Perhaps surprisingly, we will apply randomized algorithms, which roll dice and flip coins in order to solve problems. Finally, you will get your hands dirty and apply existing software tools to find recurring biological motifs within genes that are responsible for helping Mycobacterium tuberculosis go "dormant" within a host for many years before causing an active infection....

JL
Jul 29, 2018

This course is very very good. Challenging at times. It does not hold your hand at all times and sometimes requires research to solve some of the problems, but I like the community and the approach.

DD
Sep 10, 2019

The material of the course is simply exquisitely presented. The concepts are clear, easy to grasp. You won't be a bioinformatician after doing this course, but you'll make the first step.

51 - 75 of 182 Reviews for Finding Hidden Messages in DNA (Bioinformatics I)

By Olaf W

Oct 2, 2018

Great content, very well structured. Loved the interactive text with the graded coding exercises.

By Brian A

Feb 18, 2017

Doing the Honors track. It's hard, but extremely rewarding! Thanks for making an awesome course.

By Julian A S

Oct 15, 2018

Clear and well-formatted. No instructional support in the forums was disappointing, though.

By Jacob O

I wish I could give it a 6-star. Awesome content; generous problem sets; worth the money.

By Mohamed E

Jul 8, 2017

An excellent Course, The course left me more enthusiastic about Bio-informatics , Thanks

By Yichi S

Mar 5, 2018

Very nice introductory course. Well designed and very interactive. I really love it.

By Hugo E C A

Sep 12, 2019

One great course, however there is not a lot of people to qualify your assignments

By John K F E

Jul 19, 2019

Great introduction to Python and Algorithms and its application to Bioinformatics

By Alina F

Jun 6, 2016

After completing only one Week I am absolutely sure that this course is amazing!

By Jeff L

Oct 10, 2020

great course. particularly the coding part is challenging, but i learned a lot.

By Swaprakash Y

Jun 7, 2020

An amazing course to apply computer skills to a biomedical engineering stream!

By Liang Y

May 13, 2019

I can learn a lot from the simple samples but I think I still have a long way.

By Jussi R

Sep 18, 2017

Cool stuff, I didn't even realize how close we are computational linguistics.

By Adrien L

Jun 26, 2016

Excellent teachers, excellent assignments. My favorite MOOC so far, congrats!

By Fabio J F

Feb 17, 2019

Some activities were unnecessary but coding up the algorithms was a treat :)

By Sri M K

Dec 4, 2016

This course has been a lot of fun. However, I would like to experience more!

By Zack X

Jul 21, 2019

In depth and comprehensive coverage of the topics in genetic data analysis.

By gunman4kill

Jul 22, 2020

great course really oned my eye on the programming part of bioinformatics

By ChenYuexi

Jun 21, 2017

Those pseudocode help a lot. And this course helps me start coding.

By Mare B

Jul 17, 2016

Very interesting course for those who want to learn new algorithms.

By Nicolas S V

Mar 24, 2018

Insightful and introductory course to the bioinformatics world.

By Dragica J

Sep 12, 2016

Very interesting course! I am enrolling to bioinformatics II :)

By Anil K P

Jan 10, 2017

I like the intersection of computer science and biology!

By Mousa J A

Feb 12, 2019

A really nice course that links biology and programming

By Ahmed N A

Jul 23, 2017

I can just say that this course is awesomely excellent!