Back to Financial Accounting: Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Accounting: Foundations by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course, you will learn foundations of financial accounting information. You will start your journey with a general overview of what financial accounting information is and the main financial statements. You will then learn how to code financial transactions in financial accounting language. In the meantime, you will learn about the most important concept in contemporary financial accounting: accrual accounting. You will then critically analyze how firms recognize revenues. Finally, you will finish the course with an analysis of accounting for short-term assets where you will go into detail on how firms account for accounts receivables and inventories. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: • Understand main financial statements and the financial information they provide • Write a financial transaction in financial accounting language and understand how this impacts main financial statements • Understand how accrual accounting and fundamental accounting concepts work • Understand revenue recognition principles and how they impact main financial statements • Account for accounts receivables and inventories. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

AD
Sep 3, 2017

Though I have been through Intro Accounting some 3 or 4 times through different classes and seminars, I still found myself learning from this detailed and straight forward presentation of information.

YP
Jun 6, 2020

The modules were extremely informative and nothing less to say, Oktay sir's presentations were very easy to understand even for a person like me who has no prior knowledge about Financial Accounting.

51 - 75 of 787 Reviews for Financial Accounting: Foundations

By Joe F

Aug 15, 2018

I was so excited about the class that I went ahead and completed the coursework prior to the class beginning. Having a Finance and Accounting background made the class easier but I am really looking forward to the live sessions so that I may sharpen my financial accounting skills. I feel that I still have much room for improvement and am confident that Professor Urcan will provide me with the tools to succeed in this class.

By Prudhvi P

The course is very well structured and easy to understand the basic concepts. The prof has done a great job explaining the concepts. Every module has enough practice questions to apply the concepts thought. The only downside is for some of the solutions the reasoning was not explained clearly. So I got confused about a few concepts. Other than that it is amazing and I had a great learning experience

By Dewi M B

Apr 14, 2017

This course covers all the basic financial management that you need. It is easy to understand,, easy to digest , clear explanation--- even for a person without accounting background. I am so happy that I can add the certificate in linkedin for this diploma, it perfects my CV and qualification in the market. It is a brilliant online course for those whose looking for learning in flexible hours.

By Dianne S V B

Dec 6, 2020

This is an excellent course! I really enjoyed learning from the wide variety of materials available. It was intense but it's worth every bit of your time even if you do not really have a background in this area as in my case. Now I have a deeper understanding of Financial Accounting but I know its just the beginning. I would recommend this course to anyone and everyone. Great job!

By Jonathan C

Aug 6, 2020

I learned so much in so little time. I felt the lectures were the same quality as college classes. The amount of material made it easy to practice what was learned. I loved the module quizzes that reinforced learning. I truly am a better person because of this course. I have tried other websites and by far UofI + Coursera is #1. Thank you so much for democratizing education.

By Ahmed I A

Feb 20, 2021

About review of financial accounting foundation are three types of business, three types of business organizations, GAAP, business transaction, cost concept and accounting reports called financial statements.

This course is important all business student that went to be financial analysis is usefully financial statements to determine that a business strategy

By MOHAMED S

Jan 6, 2021

Thank you to you and to Professor URCAN who gave us a brief explanation, it was a pleasant pleasure to take the online courses in your university I thank Coursera as well as his partners who also allowed us through their relationship to have access to these courses thank you thank you especially my very dear teacher URCAN my sincere greetings to him.

By Jolly B M

Jan 4, 2021

The overall review of the course in my personal opinion has been outstanding, It has given me a wide understanding on the accounting course and has equipped me to fully apply the lessons learnt in my day to day tasks to help me fully undertake my daily career. The course has widened my understanding and opinions to a certain standard.

By Johan M P P

Nov 21, 2020

I am very pleased to have the opportunity to learn in Coursera and with Ilinois University that was amazing for me in terms of new knowledge and the tools that you have used to tackle and faced all of the subjects.Thanks a lot and I am very excited to start the second module of this Specialization counting with your aid and support.

By CAMPOS S J O

Jun 28, 2020

Everything in the course is very logical and easy to follow, the cases help with further developing the skills that we learn throughout the course. I would only have to say that the final module (i.e. module 4), increases the level of complexity by a lot, compared to the increase in complexity from module 1 to module 2 and module 3.

By Pablo B D

Mar 7, 2017

In my humble opinion this course has been excellent to me, I found it amazingly interesting, I have never worked the balance sheet and there is a lot to get to know yet but the course got my deepest interest and I wish everybody to do this course, the professor Oktay Urcan is perfect, I like the teaching a lot.!!

Thanks Coursera!!😊

By Daniel P

Aug 22, 2020

This course covers the most important topics in accounting and it also provides a lot of real world use cases with balance sheets of real companies. Going through these use cases will boost your confidence that you did not "only" learn some theory but that you can also apply your knowloedge.

Thank you for providing the course!

By Ryan J

Mar 19, 2018

Great course as a refresher on some of the core accounting concepts. Instructor provides material in a concise and easy to understand manner and real world examples are given as well via financial statements. Quizzes allow you to work through examples and ensure you understand concepts without being overly easy or difficult.

By Sharie C

Sep 16, 2020

This course was very informative. It had supported documentation and step by step example of how to go about calculating . Each lesson taught was straight forward and one can easy follow. Overall I rate this course a 5star the only thing am having problem getting my certificate after the dedication and time I invested.

By Janette H

Oct 10, 2017

The Course is very practical. I really appreciate the practice quizzes since they allow me time to have a greater understanding of each lectured session. A very good course that I would recommend to anyone who desires to improve or refresh their knowledge of the principles that were explained in all the modules.

By Krittika U

Apr 12, 2020

This course made me understand basics of Accounting easily. I had read many books before taking this course but I was struggling to understand the basics. Prof Urcan explains all the cumbersome concept in ease and all the relevant case questions help in understanding the practical implications of accounting.

By Luis F R M

May 12, 2020

Really an amazing course, I have learnt so much more than what i was expecting. Really it shows the amazing quality that the professors have in this university, and the good teaching techniques they have. It was not easy but i am very satisfied with all the topics discussed and the activities. Great job.

By A P

Dec 15, 2019

It's an Great opportunity to learn the Financial Accounting and various account method usage depending upon the Nature of Business .

I have very confused in beginning to understand the LIFO and FIFO later on its an very interested subject to learn and understand the COGS and inventory balance calculated.

By Nicky F

Sep 29, 2020

It was a wonderful course. The instructor explained the concepts very clearly which helped me a lot in completing all graded assignments without much revision. Would highly recommend this course to all young and budding aspirants who are looking to be successful in the accounting and finance domain.

By Sri v v

Sep 22, 2020

I thank Professor Oktay Urcan from the depths of my heart. His segmented, practical, assessment, and analysis based teaching instilled a lot of confidence and I now understood 3 statements, terminologies, and a lot more. His material is invaluable. Thank you Illinois Urbana university and Coursera.

By Maturana M H Y

Sep 21, 2020

Excellent. I learned too much about how balance sheet management, financial statement records and transactions are handled internationally. managing individual accounts, accrual accounting among other things. In conclusion, it was wonderful and great to learn about new topics. Thank you very much.

By Julio Q

Jun 4, 2017

The course very much helped, I knew some basic stuff but the content has greatly helped me to understand the foundations of the main financial statements (balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement). I will use the learnings now that I am setting up an e-commerce company.

By haider f a a

Jun 3, 2018

I am Haidar Faraj from Iraq

Because Corsira is a world-renowned site where it contains the most important certificates issued by the best universities, and can be given financial support for those who wish to study and have no money.

Thank you .. With warm greetings

By Laura D B B

Jul 15, 2020

This course is very complete. I am professional in Finance but there was new content for me. Thank you to the teacher, his explanations are very clear and complete. Moreover, I loved the cases, which help you to practice a lot an to apply the lessons in real cases.

By Vinay M

May 6, 2017

Oktay is awesome. To be honest, his lessons and manner of delivery is what kept me going. Appreciate the hardwork put behind the team in putting this in such an intuitive format. Course is worth every second spent on it which even if it meant missed soap-operas :-)