Back to Financial Accounting: Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Accounting: Foundations by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course, you will learn foundations of financial accounting information. You will start your journey with a general overview of what financial accounting information is and the main financial statements. You will then learn how to code financial transactions in financial accounting language. In the meantime, you will learn about the most important concept in contemporary financial accounting: accrual accounting. You will then critically analyze how firms recognize revenues. Finally, you will finish the course with an analysis of accounting for short-term assets where you will go into detail on how firms account for accounts receivables and inventories. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: • Understand main financial statements and the financial information they provide • Write a financial transaction in financial accounting language and understand how this impacts main financial statements • Understand how accrual accounting and fundamental accounting concepts work • Understand revenue recognition principles and how they impact main financial statements • Account for accounts receivables and inventories. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

AD
Sep 3, 2017

Though I have been through Intro Accounting some 3 or 4 times through different classes and seminars, I still found myself learning from this detailed and straight forward presentation of information.

YP
Jun 6, 2020

The modules were extremely informative and nothing less to say, Oktay sir's presentations were very easy to understand even for a person like me who has no prior knowledge about Financial Accounting.

676 - 700 of 729 Reviews for Financial Accounting: Foundations

Jun 4, 2020

its good

By Eshan P

Sep 22, 2020

good

By Shivani G

Aug 10, 2020

good

By CHAMP N

Aug 8, 2020

Good

By ALTHAF N N

May 16, 2020

Good

By YOSELIN T E S

Dec 16, 2019

By Michael O

Jun 20, 2019

good

By Rahul H S

Jul 30, 2017

good

By Reyhaneh H

May 30, 2017

Aug 7, 2016

G

By Shylah W

Mar 31, 2018

Overall, the course is an okay introduction, but I was disappointed with the level of guided content provided in resources. Basically, I ended up googling a lot of concepts and learning from other (free) platforms for this content, most of which explained the concepts in a better manner. I am happy to have completed the course, but since I paid for the program, I would have preferred to do less "self-directed discovery" to learn the concepts.

Specific examples of what I mean:

Equations could have been laid out more clearly within lectures, perhaps included in the glossary.

There were several key terms missing from the glossary; the glossary lacked consistency for what was included and what was not.

Often times new terms (or alternative names for concepts) were introduced only during tests and quizzes instead of during lectures and it was not always straightforward or logical what those terms implied.

Some of the quiz/text questions were very ambiguously worded (which did not seem to contribute to critical thinking, though that possibly was the intention).

By Aisling F

Oct 9, 2020

I found that this course definitely did cover a lot of information and I like that the exercises came from real-life examples, however, I found that the lecturer went at a very fast pace despite this being a foundational course. In particular, this was my experience during week 3 and 4. I know that the beauty of online learning is the ability to pause and rewind the lectures but I think even with that some of the material was a little fast-paced.

By Li Y

Sep 26, 2018

It is an OK course, but for someone like me who had little background of finance still struggled in the class because I felt that many of the concept is no explained clearly. I understand that the professor tried to illustrate through examples but I felt that the example does not explain anything other than merely listed and repeated the numbers.

By Nipun S D

Aug 30, 2020

Module 4 is not consistent to understand. I found it easy to apply recording to Unearned revenue but was lost when it came to module 4. It didn't seem consistent . Then the case videos there was total consistecy loss where I had to break my head what to find where. I have to depend on the professor or study group on Module 4.