Back to Financial Markets

JC
Aug 19, 2020

IH
Mar 9, 2021

This course is easy to follow and interesting. Professor Shiller is very motivating. It not teaching about finance but more importantly how finance can build a better life for all. Really recommended.

3526 - 3550 of 3,978 Reviews for Financial Markets

Sep 14, 2017

v

By 고미라

Jun 23, 2020

This course is absolutely not for beginners, I would know, I'm a beginner. I have no background in economics or finance, and my math was rusty at best (had to brush up on my probabilities). I'm currently on week 3, and I will say it takes me usually 1 to 2 hours to get through some of the 11- and 8-minute videos. The first week alone I spent 6 hours a day for 5 days just getting through the information. Let me explain, if you want to actually understand how the topics in future videos relate to the ones you're watching now, Investopedia, Google, and random undergraduate papers on the internet will become your best friends. Finance at first seems like a jumble of models that vaguely overlap, but you have to actually dive into the concepts and understand the maths and economics behind them to see how they relate to one another. CAPM was barely mentioned in week 1 and 2, but had I not taken 3 days to give myself a crash course on CAPM, nothing in week 1 and 2 would have made any sense at all and moving forward I wouldn't have understood how future formulas related to past concepts. This week I've spent 5 hours teaching myself how bonds relate to the discount rate we see in the DDM/GGM/ and PDV models, how yield and interest/ central bank policy are related, and what coupon rates are. This was to understand an 11-minute video, one of 8, in the first half of week 3. Be prepared. Gird your loins. If you want to get the most out of this course, use it predominantly as a template to direct you to new topics that you can research on your own, if you do this I promise you will learn more in 8 weeks than you could possibly imagine.

By Mikolaj W D

Jul 6, 2020

I have learned some good points about financial markets, some aspects of how corporation works and how they are governed, as well as different types of corporations were very interesting. i was also surprised how much i knew already, without having any kind of finance background. I guess it's four stars cause i was expecting more maths and statistics and there is very little of that( just in the beginning) it is still very interesting though. As a science graduate i was surprised that same formulas used in statistics in biology, can be applied to the financial markets. The course if worth a try especially for beginners in financial markets but also I would make essential for general public, to broaden their knowledge about finances. I also wish there was one or two more peer reviewed assignments. I think it was great to read other people work as views have differed so much! Also the peer review should have few more options for scoring points. but other than that it was a really interesting. Very good opportunity to get into civilised debate.

By Melvin L A M

I love Robert Schiller's talk and lessons on this topic and I have learned a lot under his years of wisdom on financial markets around the world and how they play a huge part in the world overall. I also find the instructor to have a friendly fatherly approach as he speaks to his students and how in each of the videos he would smile, laugh and shares his personal stories and it doesn't make the lessons to be dull or boring. However, for someone who is not from finance or economic background, I find the quizzes hard and only to find that the theme of the quiz were actually taught later on. I also wished that the lessons could be made simpler (especially on the graphs and charts) could be elaborated better and simple before each lesson so I could understand what was explained. In some cases, the graph is shown and explained what it was and then the quiz appears. I did not know how the graph works or what it is for. I'll be sure going to miss Robert as an instructor as I graduate from this course. Thank you Robert.

By Iulian C R

Awesome course! I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to expand its knowledge in finance, financial markets, and economics. Although it does not require any prerequisite, some finance, economics & business knowledge can significantly leverage the course outcome. Prof. Shiller is a great teacher and its a pleasure to listen to his lectures.

I would have given 5* if there was more student engagement with more practical exercises especially those that required to apply maths, such as CAPM, Std Dev., insurance pool, compounding interest, etc.

I find it helpful working closely with the recommended textbook Frank. J. Fabozzi - Financial Markets. Although the last edition is expensive, there on the internet some older or similar versions that can be downloaded.

By Michal M

Nov 26, 2020

Although the course teaches some fundamentals of finance, it lacks others. For an absolute beginner, it requires quite a lot of self-study. I am also glad that I have taken other courses in investing elsewhere prior to taking this course. Whereas Financial Markets provides plenty of tools to get a young investors started, in my opinion it does not teach the healthiest mindset. I highly recommend the bonus interview with Roger Ferguson, who emphasizes the value of long-term investing, which can be seen as part of risk management. I believe that a person that is patient and willing to learn can easily invest themselves, even on a small scale. Times have changed. Just remember: invest in value, diversify, keep long-term, and know what you are doing.

By Patrick A

Oct 24, 2020

In my point of view a good overview of what finance means. Basics have been introduced and you can get really a general understanding of finance. Some courses and examples are not deep enough in my point of view: it could appear as an disadvantage for the course but it forced me to do some researches in my own for having a deep dive for the topics I was interested for. In other words, it gave me the correct inputs for my intellectual curiosity for continuing learning in my own. Do not expect from this course a concrete list of methods or use cases. See this course as a general introduction in finance in order to ask yourself if it is a topic you want to learn further or not. In all the cases, I recommend this course for beginners.

By Brandon

Jul 4, 2020

This course in my opinion clearly showed that Yale University lecturers, even students are knowledge and provide a quality education. I currently study economics at the undergraduate level, so certain theorems and concepts came rather naturally as I was already familiar with them. However, I do believe this course provides the foundation to understand concepts, even having limited -- even no prior knowledge of finance. This course was intellectually stimulating and was worth my time to complete over this summer of 2020, I recommend it to anyone interested in seeing what all the fuss of finance is about. Dr. Schiller is an excellent lecturer and knowledgeable beyond belief.

By Douglas C

Jul 27, 2020

My interest in the subject is simply that - interest. I would not wish or expect the course to be the basis of a career in finance, but for someone who occasionally reads the financial pages of the newspaper (after the news, politics and sport) it is good to understand the rules of the finance game. In particular, the Covid pandemic has resulted in the creation of vast sums of money from literally nowhere, which for non-financial people like myself is mind-blowing. Now that I know that money can be created from nothing, and that austerity was a political choice not a necessity, I realise that the people of the UK have been conned for the last ten years.

By John J P G

Jan 14, 2018

I found this course to be very beneficial, and a great place to start for those intrigued by the movement and behaviour of the financial markets. Robert Shiller is an exceptional teacher, and has a skill that enables students to engage and easily learn from. I was very impressed with this course, although I found the assessment questions at times irrelevant to my learning and direction of pragmatism. All in all, I do recommend this course for everyone - even if finance is something you're not interested in - it gives you a good footing in developing solid financial knowledge and health.

By Knut T H

Apr 9, 2020

Very interesting course.

Took one star away due to the lack of interactivity in the course. It was to much talking head and powerpoint. More formative tests during the lectures would have helped. Not only questionnaires, but more interactive material. Some animations on some of the topics would also have helped.

Schiller is great at presenting the material, but it would really have helped the experience with some animations, real examples etc. to help us understand. All business schools runs case studies. Some micro case studies would lift this course a lot.

By jose r c m

Jan 9, 2020

i like to express a positive feedback for this course , driven by a great academic teacher.you have a complete outlook of financial markets and when you finish the course you achive the knowledge to understand the principles of financial markets. of course if you want a deep learning in particular matters this is not your course and probably you will have the feeling of "need more...". navigation works properly and its friendly and you feel that coursera platform is trusted. worthwhile.

By Thomas J

Oct 10, 2019

I enjoyed this course, despite taking longer than expected, and learnt a lot. I work at a bank as a software developer and this course gives me a better understanding of the domain I'm in. It's a course useful to anyone actually because finance plays a key role in all our lives. What an honour to have taken a course by Robert Shiller. The scripts to the videos need some revising and some parts of the videos, especially the salon segments, are a bit difficult to understand.

By Manuel N

Jun 7, 2020

I enjoyed this course, it's very broad to cover all areas of finance and create an understanding of the purpose every aspect serves, as many areas are connected. I liked that the professor is very engaged and loves his work, and the financial systems and also creates interest in the future of finance and that it serves a purpose other than creating richness. My only comment is that some questions on the exams were not always equally well discussed in the course material.

By James L

Jun 5, 2020

The course serves as a good introduction to many interesting topics, and is more engaging than most courses I have taken on Coursera. The issue comes from the mathematical topics. More time needs to be spent setting out the different variables used - these have clearly been skipped over for the online course, thus making the more detailed mathematical sections difficult to follow without using external resources to further explain. This only applies to a few modules.

By Onyinanya D

Apr 23, 2020

Great course. I have been exposed a great deal to concepts of finance such as value investing, portfolio diversification, risk management etc. My orientation about Finance has changed, as I now view it as having a greater social purpose rather than just amassing wealth for one's self. Indeed the principles of Andrew Carnegie as explained in his famous Gospel of Wealth, has been deeply entrenched in me. Thanks to Coursera, Yale University and Professor Robert Shiller.

By Shreya S

Its a good course even for absolute beginners. It covers a wide foundation of concepts, events and opinions. The difficulty level suddenly rises after week 4 (somewere around Futures market) but Prof. Shiller still makes a decent effort to make it understandable.

If there were more peer-graded or analytical assesments (there is 1 in 7 weeks), it would have made this course more wholesome.

So overall, it was a good overview into the finance world for me, a newbie.

By Sapna P J

Jun 30, 2020

It was interesting to learn something new related to financial terms and aspects. Later on, I earned more knowledge and insights as to how to capture the market and gain financial position in the same.Thank you Yale University for providing us such a wonderful opportunity that will help to our career. and my special regards to Prof.Robert shiller for giving us an amazing sessions to this course. and also encouraging for various concepts of markets. Thank you!!!!

By Shaima S

Apr 13, 2021

A lot of learning opportunity. I enjoyed the various areas they completed their learning from. I liked how it was real-time conducted and there was real-life student engagement with the professor.

I love the details that were mentioned about each new law/topic within finance. Its origin and background. Why it was developed and how is it now. Although most of it was USA based, there were mentions to other nations and how it could possibly work there, as well.

By Aaron G

Jun 29, 2019

Prof. Shiller is very insightful and knowledgeable about the subject, but certain portions of the course--especially the mathematical components--are difficult to understand because they are not sufficiently explained. It would be nice to have full or close-to-full videos of lectures instead of just snippets.

Keep in mind that this is not a theoretical course. Instead, it is a robustly structured--albeit sometimes hurried--introduction to "Financial Markets."

By Serhat B K

Oct 11, 2020

Nice professor, but some topics are not detailed. Practical information is missing on some topics also. Another disadvantage is that it focuses on the system and regulations of America a lot. If you do not have any background in economics, you have to study a lot to understand well the topics. I do not think it is a kind of introduction course. But overall, it was a great honor to take a course from Mr. Shiller and learn these fundamental topics.

By Bill P

Aug 4, 2020

Great information on the history and philosophy of finance, all of the basic components of contemporary financial markets, and some core nitty-gritty mathematical formulae.

Watch out for the translations.....I estimate about a 5% error rate that results in some confused sentences. I would advise copying out the translations, and then following along with the videos, so that you can edit as you go. (You'll also end up knowing the material better!)