Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

NK

Feb 25, 2019

It was very informative course. It could have more quizzes and assignments. The way things were explained in the course was quiet interesting. Keep it up!! course. I really like this way of education.

TL

Oct 01, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

126 - 150 of 5,119 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Harshit B

Mar 06, 2018

Maya Adams, MD and Michael Pollan have explained the rules of healthy food in such a simple and non-scientific way so that every one can understand the fundamentals. These basics if followed consistently can change our lifestyle from the growing obesity to a modern healthy and fit person. The efforts of the course contributors needs to be appreciated for not only the concept but also the presentation. This is a much recommended course on food, health and fitness!!

By eduardo c

Oct 19, 2020

This is, for me, an extraordinary course on food and health. Clear concepts, easy tips to improve health by changing feed habits reinforcing the healthy ones as well as clarifying and warning about unhealthy. I liked very much course presenters always going straight to the point in each presentation. In summary, short, concise, wise and friendly, that is my qualification for it. Congratulations and thank you very much. I do not hesitate to strongly recommend it.

By zory D C

Aug 26, 2020

Everything was interesting. I have a little confusion about sugar. I know it is better not to consume refined sugar, in some recipes Dr. Adam uses, probably if she says what substitutes will be more beneficial than sugar, it will help a little bit more. Other than that, I love the way she and Michael Pollan explained everything about food, and I also love her voice, sweet and determined. I am very grateful I found this web page to learn more from the best source.

By Naira B E

Nov 21, 2019

Me parece un muy buen curso básico sobre nutrición y alimentación, que permite a todos ser mas conscientes de lo que comemos. Como estudiante de nutrición me parece interesante las estrategias que se indican para que todos tengan una alimentación saludable dando pequeños pasos. Finalmente, me parece excelente que el curso este enfocado en todos los componentes de la alimentación tales como variables sociales, económicas, personales, disponibilidad, entre otras.

By LilWritingHood M A

Sep 26, 2020

Overall I found this course very educational and helpful. I want to become a nutritionist or dietician however classes don't start until next year. while covid has been happening I noticed all of my family including myself were starting to gain weight. Unfortunately places such as parks and gyms being closed makes it harder to get up and move but I think this course will have a very helpful role in helping me change my families eating lifestyle for the better.

By Anya H

May 05, 2020

I have successfully completed this course and it is one of a kind. It zeroes in on daily struggles pertaining to food and nutrition for the average person. This course not only simplified the complexities behind macro nutrients, it also focused on breaking down the jargon on nutrition labels - two things I had found confusing, until now. The quality of the videos is aesthetically pleasing and the lectures are engaging, and fascinating to say the least!

By Raeva I M

May 02, 2020

This course helped me to understand what the health is. Before I started it, I followed my intuition. Now I can make sensible decisions at supermarket. I got the point that the art of moderation is much better than simple elimination. Also, I am pleased to practice my English.

I want all people to watch it. Unfortunately, most of us are cynical about FOOD (not highly-processed part of it), especially in Russia. It inspires me to continue my education.

By Louie K

May 12, 2020

Thank you!!!!!!!!Thank you for your excellent course! I learned a lot, I learned that I eat wrong. You've been very helpful! I have acquired knowledge and skills that have helped and will help me in the future. In the future, I'm going to work as a nutritionist. I don't know if you'll answer me or not, but I have a question. Will there still be videos with recipes? can I watch them whenever possible and prepare meals at my home? Thank you again!!!!

By Carol M

Aug 26, 2017

While the information in this course is introductory, it was nice to see a nutrition course that focuses more on food choice than calculating nutrients. The information was well presented and easy for someone like me with a non-science background to understand. The amount of coursework was perfect since my motivation was personal learning and I have a full-time job. I would love to see follow-up courses since this piqued my interest to know more!

By Shaine V

Feb 04, 2016

I am a pharmacist and I'm recommending pharmacists too to enroll in this course. Yes, it is true that I myself am into reviewing the Nutritional Values of every item I shop and often compare one against another brand. But this course changed my mind. Thank you Maya for sharing this. Mothers, wives, and health care practitioners must do this firstly and make themselves healthy first before making a difference to another's health. Have a great day!

By Beatriz L

May 01, 2020

This course is very useful for people who want to begin caring for their health. I do care for my health and that's why I already had most of the advice given in the course. However, attending this course has aided me in many ways. Not only the course has helped me with becoming familiar with nutrition vocabulary (because I'm Spanish) but it also has given me the motivation to keep and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Thank you so much, professors!

By Rodrigo C

Oct 15, 2016

There very few things today that can set you mind apart and take your soul to full realization of an actual truth.

The topic and approach, but more than that, the clear personal commitment of Doctor Maya Adam, make this course an impactful experience and a real catalyst for change in your life, i felt it, and i want to live now by this value.

I want health for me and for my family specially my children, and i want to live long for them.

Thanks Maya

By Carol L S

Apr 30, 2018

This course will go over basic nutritional factors everybody should know. I really enjoyed it. I am currently considered obese, and tend to get my back up with a lot of people and their suggestions about my diet. This course offers a friendly look at the health risks, and what you can do about it. The course was well laid out and informative. I loved all the recipes at the end too. It was also very easy to understand and really well presented.

By Rick W

Feb 11, 2016

I thought this was a terrific tutorial on the practicality of eating healthy. It's one thing to be concerned calorie intake and understand the nutritional differences between protein, carbs and fat. It's another thing to become knowledgeable about real vs processed food. I really hadn't thought much about that. I will be looking at a lot more ways to eat plant-based and fresh foods. I would recommend this course to everyone I know. Thanks!

By Sabera P

May 11, 2018

It was a beautiful experience. The language, the content and the rationale behind this course was so easy to follow. i feel nourished just by doing this course. Thank you for these valuable bits of information towards leading a more healthy lifestyle. I will share the knowledge on to my husband who is a diabetic and aso inculcate the 'pearls of wisdom' with my 3-year old angle as we cherish the meals that we enjoy together in the evenings.

By swatigrover

Dec 09, 2018

Excellent course. This course is a reminder that health is wealth and good food is the route to good health. And therefore, we cannot outsource this work to large manufacturers of processed food or restaurants for that matter. We need to take charge of what we eat, how we eat and how much of it we eat. And fad diets are maybe convenient ways of reaching some goals in the short term but in the long run they are harmful for our well-being.

By Bibiana O O

Apr 30, 2019

Han sido excelentes momentos de reflexión sobre los hábitos alimenticios y cómo estos contribuyen con el bienestar general de la salud, tanto individual como de la familia.

Adicionalmente, me perimitío apreciar mi tierra natal, que a pesar de vivir en un país de tercer mundo, como es Colombia contamos con una diversidad en frutas, verduras, hortalizas, que propicia una sana alimentación.

Estoy muy agradecida con lo que estoy aprendiendo.

By Paul D

Sep 09, 2020

I thought that this was one of the best courses that I have taken on www.coursera.org. It gives one a great introduction to food, health, and nutrition. Although I have completed the course, I plan to come back and view some of the videos again ... and again .... and again.

I would highly recommend this class. The video lectures are short and to the point. There were a lot of helpful insights given here that I have shared with friends.

By Freya V

May 06, 2020

A mis 63 años de edad había prometido no estudiar más, pero cuando ví lo interesante de este curso, me olvidé de lo prometido y dije, ADELANTE, Y ME INSCRIBÍ...a pesar de no tener un inglés perfecto y de muchos otros problemas de estos tiempos, me siento felíz y porqué no decir con privilegios al haber tomado esta decisión, a Coursera, a esos grandes Maestros y guías, mi gratitud impercedera. Creo que continuaré. Gracias Gracias.

By rameshvar s

Nov 19, 2018

Very good course, I'm so happy to have this course, I learnt so many things regarding cooking, importance of fruits and vegetables, cons of non vegetarian foods, processed foods and how to cook healthy food, even how to serve plate wow I highly recommend this course to every youngsters like me, I don't know if any one has teach me regarding food like this course did..I can just say thanks you so much Stanford to make this course.

By Rob T

May 13, 2020

This is a great course because it teaches essential skills to identify foods that support a healthy lifestyle and balance. I think every person, regardless of their field, career and financial status should learn this basic knowledge because it will impact positively their lives beyond learning how to make money or event help others. Taking this course is something one should do to take care of themselves and their families

By Maren J

Apr 10, 2020

I liked this course with its simple rules of thumb that are easy to remember when trying to eat healthy. It definitely had a lot of tips on how to help people trying to lose weight for their health, however, it also taught how to eat healthy for any individual regardless of their weight. I also liked learning a bit about the science behind it, while it still remained easy to understand and accessible to a general audience.

By Suzanne W

Aug 14, 2020

This was a very imformative course!! As a program assistant for EFNEP, I was pleased to find out that the course was free during the pandemic. As a singlee mom, on a tight budget I am always looking for new ways to learn more. Thank you for making this possible, I was however diappointed that I have to "pay" for the certificate of completion. These should be available to print upon completion of the course. Thank you!

By ryan m

Feb 07, 2016

Great course! It was very basic and short and that's precisely what makes this course great. The information presented was concise and anyone should be able to understand it and apply the concepts into their everyday lives. If everyone in America applied such simple principles that were taught in this course into their daily lives, I have no doubt in my mind that the obesity epidemic would be ended within a few years.

By Intera P

Jun 29, 2017

I would recommend this course for those who are interested in having a healthy life, improving eating habits, or even getting to lose/maintain weight.

This course provides a lot of fundamental but essential issues that you need to know.

The lessons were described clear, understandably, easy and well-arranged. I would say that language isn't the obstacle to learn this course.

This is my first course and I do love it !