Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Introduction to Forensic Science, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

About this Course

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

By ER

Nov 20, 2016

This is by far one of the best courses I have taken. It's intriguing and thought-provoking while providing fascinating information and going into detail on how forensic science works.

By VV

Oct 13, 2016

Professor Roderick Bates is a fantastic lecturer. It is my first time back at school in 23 years and I followed his classes with ease. Highly recommended course for everyone.

126 Reviews

By Anupriya Chatterjee

Feb 11, 2019

Well laid out course. Perfect for basic introduction to various topics in forensic science

By Mandy Loe

Feb 10, 2019

Very intersting with very good explaination!!! Thank you so much!!!

By LARA ABDELHALIM

Feb 09, 2019

I would recommend the course to everyone who loves smart learning Thank you.

By 徐丹妮

Feb 09, 2019

Some videos do not have Chinese subtitles……So there are some difficulties in learning.

By Zafar Ali

Feb 09, 2019

I learned a lot from this course, Everything was well prepared, and excitingly delivered. I was not bored even for a second.

By Alessandra Chomiak

Feb 08, 2019

amazing job! Hope a second edition of this course!

By Felix Chale Banda

v

e

By SHAJIA KHAN

Feb 01, 2019

it is a great course to gain knowledge

By briyith arenas

Jan 08, 2019

bastante interesante y divertido!