Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Forensic Science by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

SF
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks to Mr Roderick Wayland Bates for his simple and vivid explanation .....I liked his way of presentation... The course was really very useful and the case studies were thought provoking......

NU
Jun 17, 2020

The training and instruction received in the course of the program were an excellent one. It exposed me to various techniques used for crime investigation. Generally, I had an awesome experience.

126 - 150 of 386 Reviews for Introduction to Forensic Science

By Juvhan R

I learned a lot on this course. Aside from the hard science, this course sharpened and re-calibrated my critical thinking and analytical skills.

By Kirillawala A L K J K

Oct 28, 2020

The course is very good. It covered basic knowladge of the forensic science. I want to thank to Nanyang Technological university and coursera.

By Michael B

Apr 10, 2020

A very good introduction to Forensic Science. I wish they had more advanced courses to follow up with. The course work really makes you think.

By Karla M

Jul 18, 2017

Such an amazing, detailed course! I wish there were a Forensics speciality here on Coursera because I would take all of them! So fascinating!

By Howard F

Apr 9, 2020

Brilliant course. The Prod pull a significant amount of work into this programme. Strongly recommended for anyone interested in the subject.

By Anja C

Feb 8, 2018

Enjoyed taking this course! The teacher really simplifies all the lectures and makes them easy to follow, and has a great sense of humor. :)

By An Q

Nov 20, 2016

Best course for beginner who wants to know about Forensic Science. Would be better is have more case study shared, but its good enough now.

By Melissa M

Sep 26, 2016

I love this course. I have been waiting for this course to restart for months. I hope it gets archived so I can revisit it when I need to.

By Sara h E A

Jul 13, 2020

I am thankful for all who participated in making this magnificence course 😍😍😍... It so informative , fun and well made for a beginner🤓

By Pradnya P

Oct 18, 2020

great course and the examples and cases told by the instructor were very nicely delivered and enhanced our understanding of every concept

By Ashwani B

Aug 24, 2017

I really liked this course and the way they taught the topics. Looking forward for any other advanced course on DNA forensics specially.

By Peria A

Oct 8, 2020

A very informative and fun course to take. Loved being a part of it. Learned a lot of things and gained knowledge on many subjects.

By Luz Á C F

Oct 6, 2019

Me ha llamado la atención este curso, ya que está enfatizado en los temas más importantes que se requieren para profesionalizarse.

By Karen S

May 12, 2017

Only auditing the course for personal enjoyment. I rate it very highly and enjoyed it. Will go back and review parts. Thank you.

By Deborah-Anne M

Aug 23, 2020

In-depth analysis of various cases and strong communication by the instructor make this course an essential part of learning easy.

By Janique S

Jul 30, 2020

This has been a great experience! Thank you so much to Roderick, and all involved, for the effort you've put towards this course.

By Patricia F

Jan 18, 2017

The course was brilliant I just wish we had been given more mentor, lecturer input and when do we get to know the right answers.

By Sidra

Aug 23, 2020

I really liked the professor teaching this, he had a way of making it very enjoyable and educational. So thank you professor :)

By Dr T P J

May 10, 2017

Best course I had completed. Learn many modern instrumental techniques. I am fascinated by case study involving brain storming.

By Bence D

Aug 18, 2020

Excellent course, with a lot of interesting forensic concepts explained well through chemistry and biology. Really enjoyed it!

By IH202Y J P Z Y

This is a very fun course, can relate quite a bit to it because I like to watch dramas on topics related to forensic science!!

By Werner H

Oct 9, 2017

Well done. Great presentation style with good and representative examples. Good introduction for Forensic Science novices.

By Ankit

Sep 3, 2018

I'm having best experience ever, learning in such way great way just splendid, i would prefer this rather then classroom..

By PANAGIOTIS C

May 15, 2018

Thank you very much for a such an interesting and professional course. I learned a lot and I would surely recommend it!!!

By Antonio L V M

Aug 30, 2020

Excellent introduction course for basic Forensic Science Knowledge. Simple, interesting and overall a great experience.