Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Forensic Science by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

SF
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks to Mr Roderick Wayland Bates for his simple and vivid explanation .....I liked his way of presentation... The course was really very useful and the case studies were thought provoking......

NU
Jun 17, 2020

The training and instruction received in the course of the program were an excellent one. It exposed me to various techniques used for crime investigation. Generally, I had an awesome experience.

51 - 75 of 445 Reviews for Introduction to Forensic Science

By Harris

Jan 24, 2021

This is definitely one of the most well mannered and structured courses out there on Coursera, especially regarding a subject such as Forensic Science. It is also very engaging for the average person who knows nothing about Forensic science, and it will chop everything to bite-size in order to easily understand how the science works and is applied in real-life situations. Roderick was also a very engaging lecturer and his occasional humour made it all the better.

By Dimitrios P

Jan 6, 2021

Well prepared and comprehensible teaching material. This course was an opportunity to familiarise with the forensics’ terminology in a foreign language and expand my cognitive understanding. Through this course I managed to enhance skills like attention to detail, reading and writing in a foreign language, understanding new concepts and being able to assess my peers. Furthermore, I developed my inductive and deductive reasoning.

By Dimitra K

Apr 8, 2021

An informative and comprehensive course that covers basic subjects regarding Forensic Science. It is easy to follow and the instructor Professor Roderick Bates is very helpful throughout the course as well.

I am really interested in Forensic Science, its applications and its techniques. Therefore, this course was an excellent introduction to this field.

By Danna T

Mar 22, 2021

I really love the course and the instructor. I couldn't ask for a better instructor. From the first week up to the last week, everything is well explained. The instructor explains everything in a precise, elaborative, and part I liked the most humorous way. I recommend this to everyone who has the heart for Forensic or any crime-related stuff.

By Iga T

Jan 4, 2017

Very good course that provides a little more than only basics of forensic science at the same time giving overview of the major areas that this subject covers. Mr Roderick Bates explains everything very clearly implementing new ideas gradually. I loved plethora of examples and case studies. Assignments made learning enjoyable.

By Komal S

Aug 7, 2020

Very informative and interesting course.. the instructor explained every topic precisely, I really liked that he even performed the practical to make students understand better

quizzes and assignments were really fun.. it helped me in improving my observation skills and to think more practically. I really enjoyed this course!!

By Adriana Z

Mar 26, 2021

Very well done. I have not taken very many on line courses before but i really enjoyed the presentations and the speaker and all the great samples of stories and real cases that were part of this. I will look in the near future to take another one of your very valuable courses. Thank you very much for all you do.

Adriana

By Esha L

Jun 24, 2020

Amazing course! It keeps on increasing the curiosity as you complete each week. The instructor is very good in demonstration and I like the way they explained usage and importance of instruments as well as various techniques with help of real case studies. I thank Nanyang Technological University and Coursera for this.

By Venkateswaran M

Jun 6, 2020

I loved the course! It is really very cool to know how creative people get to kill people. It is even more fascinating to know their motive. Learning to decipher what they did and how they did is the best way to enjoy the essence of crime. All you Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew fans, this is the course for you. Dive in!

By Jessica L L

Jan 23, 2021

I enjoyed learning about forensic science. It was a great experience knowing about the different aspects of forensic science. I also got brainstorming on the two crime scene situations as assignments. Thank you for the sessions. It helped me gain a lot of knowledge and it also made me more interested in the subject.

By Azajul I N

Feb 24, 2021

THIS COURSE IS ONE OF THE BEST COURSE I HAVE EVER TAKEN IN MY LIFE. THE LECTURES, NOTES, EXAMS, AND ASSIGNMENTS, EVERYTHING OF THIS COURSE DESERVES THE MARKING OF 100 OUT OFF 100. THIS COURSE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT FORENSIC SCIENCE. THANKS FOR GIFTING US SUCH AN WONDERFUL COURSE.

By Dagmar S

Dec 6, 2020

Very well thought out lesson plan with easily understandable videos and readings. Covers many different aspects of the subject and gives examples of how each type of science was used in real life cases. And I enjoyed the small interjections of humour by the prof as Forensic Science can be a pretty grim subject.

By waseem A

Apr 14, 2020

The content is very comprehensive. Course delivery is exceptional and very lucid. The video lectures have good learning aids. Adult learning methodologies for maintaining focus and attention of the participants are implemented effectively, to the extent Prof Bates even had a glass of wine to prove his point....

By Haritha S

Jun 27, 2020

An awesome course which was well elaborated and principles of techniques wonderfully explained.My thirst for forensics and the mystery behind its applications have been satisfied through this course.I really liked the way this course and the concepts were constructed and the tests really were mind wrecking.

By Iva A

Apr 20, 2020

I highly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in exploring the field of Forensic science. The learning and practicing processes were truly enjoyable, especially taking the quizzes and solving the cases. I hope I have the opportunity to sign up for another course of this type very soon.

By Di L

Aug 7, 2019

Great course. I found the material to be engaging but also presented in a scientific way. The examples and practical applications of techniques ensured understanding of different scientific concepts. I would highly recommend this course for any person interested in forensic science and application.

By Abby H

Aug 14, 2017

Very fun and interesting course. Learned a lot about the field of Forensics with little background in it to begin with. Has a few quizzes on materials and a couple of fun peer reviewed assignments where you interpret a crime scene. Definitely recommend this for anyone with an interest in forensics.

By Tharindu R

Nov 3, 2020

This course and the content was very helpful for me because I am working on Forensic Psychiatry field, fresh to this field. The teaching methods, video and the presentations all are learner friendly. Thank you Nanyang Technological University , specially Professor Roderick and Thank you Cousera.

By Pablo C

Apr 14, 2020

Really gives a good introduction, not only into the subject matter but also into the mindset of a forensic scientist. Even though it is a online course, laboratory methods are demonstrated which gives you additional knowledge, not only of theoretic methods but also the practical application.

By claudia c

Mar 6, 2021

I am very thankful for this Course, Thank you very much to give us the opportunity to achieve new skills!

I love how Roderick Bates explain, I couldn't expect someone better to teach me.

So, thank you for the course, thank you for the information, and thank you for this great teacher :)

10/10

By MARIA A P A

Sep 6, 2020

I enjoyed it because it presents a lot of examples. The basic concepts are explained clearly and help to understand the techniques if you are not used to topics of biology and chemistry. I liked the assignments where I tried to solve murder cases with the knowledge learned in the lessons.

By Olga

Apr 11, 2020

Brilliant course! Thank you for putting such an insightful and interesting course together! The case study practical tasks were great practice and the quizzes encompassing all of the previous learning up to that point is a great way to ensure that nothing is forgotten. Highly recommended!

By Caio P

Dec 2, 2020

Content well explained. The case study activitires stimulate critical thinking and the applicantion of the knowledge acquired during the course. I recommend it a lot to colleague who want to know a little more about forensic sciences or those who want to reinforce some basic concepts.

By Elizabeth K

Feb 6, 2018

Fantastic introduction to the area of Forensic Science! Very thorough and informative with a lot of detail on many subject areas. I enjoyed every second of this course and feel like I now have a more advanced knowledge of Forensics. Great at busting myths seen on TV shows such as CSI!

By Jahnavi Z

Aug 4, 2020

I had a good time learning this course. The instructor was very much clear and good at explanations. The lessons, assignments and case studies were well designed and organised.

I will definitely recommend this course to my friends. Thank you so much for such a good opportunity.