Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Forensic Science by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

SF
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks to Mr Roderick Wayland Bates for his simple and vivid explanation .....I liked his way of presentation... The course was really very useful and the case studies were thought provoking......

NU
Jun 17, 2020

The training and instruction received in the course of the program were an excellent one. It exposed me to various techniques used for crime investigation. Generally, I had an awesome experience.

76 - 100 of 405 Reviews for Introduction to Forensic Science

By Anna L

May 11, 2017

I am fascinated by the Forensic Science field and this course was invaluable for me. Now that I have completed this course I am considering undertaking more courses about this subject. The tutor was excellent, came across friendly and knowledgable.

By Priscilla A

Sep 8, 2020

It was a great course, very simple to understand and the fact that there are both multiple-choice test as well as assignments which require you to review your peers, help you to learn more, through different people's perspectives. That's awesome.

By Abu H

Aug 2, 2019

This Course was really basic and fundamental information that contain helpful material in Forensic Science chemistry. So, I enjoy a lot throughout the course, and learnt many new points and cases that is really essential for my future prospectus.

By Najwa L

Nov 9, 2020

This course is amazing in every single aspect!! The intructor explains everything in a very smooth way for beginners and actually i've learned a lot of stuff that i've never knew of!! I love this course hopefully there'll be a new advanced one!!

By Shobhraj S P

Feb 22, 2018

Its been great to be apart of this course, the content was super informative. Special thanks to our professor who's been super good in explaining each and every aspect of this course relating forensic science techniques. Proud learner, Thanks !!

By silvia

Dec 13, 2020

It's a really interesting course with topics explained surprisingly well. To take fully advantage from it it'd be better to have some previous chemistry basis but it's not fundamental, it just helps to have a more clear and complete picture.

By Jayaraam R

Excellent content, a highly competent instructor who knows his stuff. Very relevant demonstrations and case studies. I enjoyed doing the peer-graded assignments. Overall, a very enlightening course. Would definitely recommend it to everyone.

By Rodolfo Q L

That was a complex and wide course involving great amount of themes. There was quite prominence related chemistry. It demanded effort and discipline to assimilate correctly certain concepts. The instructor is very intelligent and objective.

By Priyatharshini A

Feb 27, 2020

I love to study forensic science course. So, I joined this course. I loved this lecture videos. The way of teaching was very awesome and interesting. I gained more knowledge on forensic science. Thank you so much for this valuable lecture.

By Sander T

Nov 15, 2018

Really liked this course. Great teacher! great powerpoints! Also for people who don't speak english quite often! I'm not a legend in the language but i could follow everything beceause of the catchwords in the powerpoints. 10/10.

By Rob A

Excellent course. Well presented with interesting case studies. The lecturer has very good presentation skills in a confident manner that in turn gives you, as a student, confidence in what is being taught. Thank You - Coursera.

By HARSHITHA U

Oct 3, 2020

Wonderful course! You will regret not taking this one!! I'm satisfied and learnt valuable information on forensics. having a science backround helped me understand the science part of 'forensic science' better! Thank you NTU!!

By Anushree S

This course is very very useful to learn the introduction of forensic science. Sir Roderick bates taught the lessons in very very effective manner. I really liked his way of teaching. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

By Ashwini P

Aug 11, 2019

I enjoyed doing this course as it taught me a lot about the concepts of Forensic Science and how I can apply these concepts in my future career. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Forensic Science.

By Liza C

Nov 12, 2016

An amazing course with plenty interesting information. I was personally astonished from the quality of the material. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in learning and loves to be challenged.

By Suzanne M

Oct 19, 2017

This course was very informative and well laid out across the different modules. The case studies included in the material were very interesting. The instructor was easy to listen to and has a great sense of humor.

By Nivedita S S

Feb 28, 2018

great course work.

great case studies that make you think.

very good course design.

i hope there is an intermediate or an advanced course in future relating to field of forensics,

Thanking the entire team of University.

By K S L N M

Sep 30, 2020

I am very happy to be able to do this course. I always wanted to do forensic but because of some reason could not do it. Very well explained with good materials. So happy to be part of this. Learned many things

By Joleen N

May 5, 2020

One of the most interesting course on Coursera. Very detailed and technical. The professor did an excellent job in conveying the lecture in the most comprehensive way. The case studies were very intriguing.

By Jasmit D

May 12, 2020

This course was an excellent opportunity for me to step out of my comfort zone and learn something new. The entire course was well planned and interesting throughout. I would highly recommend this course.

By Pramodini P

Nov 16, 2020

Such a wonderful and useful course. Loved the teaching and the peer graded assignments. Thank you sir for making us love the subject with your splendid teaching and giving us such a fantastic experience.

By Ángel M A

Apr 15, 2018

Voy a escribir en Español, aunque entendiendo y hablo inglés perfectamente. Este curso es excelente. No es básico, diría nivel medio, yo estudio bioquímica y biología molecular y es de lo más divertido.

By Saúl V H

Oct 15, 2020

It is a very interesting course, ideal for introducing us to the fascinating world of forensic sciences, I hope to continue related studies, and continue to grow in knowledge and application thereof.

By Sheneya F

Nov 13, 2020

By Dilara T

Dec 26, 2020

I totally have learned a lot of things from that course. I believe the instructor does his job very well. As a Chemistry student, that course was really beneficial for me. Thank you so much!