Back to Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design by Google

Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design is the first of a series of seven courses that will equip you with the skills needed to apply to entry-level jobs in user experience design. UX designers focus on the interactions that people have with products like websites, mobile apps, and physical objects. UX designers make those everyday interactions usable, enjoyable, and accessible. The role of an entry-level UX designer might include empathizing with users, defining their pain points, coming up with ideas for design solutions, creating wireframes, prototypes, and mockups, and testing designs to get feedback. Current UX designers and researchers at Google will serve as your instructors, and you will complete hands-on activities that simulate real-world UX design scenarios. Learners who complete the seven courses in this certificate program should be equipped to apply for entry-level jobs as UX designers. No previous experience is necessary. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Define the field of UX and explain why it’s important for consumers and businesses. - Understand foundational concepts in UX design, such as user-centered design, the design process, accessibility, and equity-focused design. - Identify the factors that contribute to great user experience design. - Review common job responsibilities of entry-level UX designers and teams that they work with. - Explore job opportunities and career paths within the field of user experience. - Explain why design sprints are an important and useful part of a UX designer’s work. - Start to create an online portfolio where you can showcase your upcoming work. - Join and participate in online UX communities....

Apr 4, 2021

Very detailed and I was able to go at my own pace. I enjoy the switch between reading and videos with the pop quizzes in the videos too. It kept me engaged the whole time! Can't wait to learn more!

VM
Mar 12, 2021

Perfectly informative for someone without the knowledge already, coming from someone with a degree in the field already. Though, creating a portfolio without any work to show would be hard! haha!

1 - 25 of 440 Reviews for Foundations of User Experience (UX) Design

By Tarra W

Mar 24, 2021

Overall, I think the course was great. A super informative introduction to UX, and it made me excited to keep going and start course 2. My only somewhat negative feedback is not with the information, but of the timing of the last section. I think the sessions on networking and creating the social profiles and portfolios seemed a little premature. This is all so much information and could be so intimidating for those that have zero knowledge in this field. With a design background, I have a website and Linkedin etc, and I hate to be someone that makes a blank profile or account somewhere since it looks unprofessional. Also, paying for a website early with no information on it or work to show could be overwhelming and to me, even with knowledge of making squarespace sites and having social media accounts, I feel like it's a lot to create all these accounts this early on with no work in UX done yet. I'm sure there's a good reason for putting this info out there early on in the course, but that was just my initial thought on everything!

By Phillip L

Mar 16, 2021

Very clear program focusing on an introduction to the industry and best practices to mapping a path to an entry-level position. Loved how job oriented it was.

By Kiran S

Apr 1, 2021

The (Foundations of UX design) course kind of overview on UX design field. I really like the

content of presentation. I recommended to who wants to learn and explore UX design.

Thank you.

By Neil B

Mar 27, 2021

The course covers the absolute basics of what UX design is while going into some level of detail about the foundational aspects of the field. While that's great, the video content is gruelingly slow and speaking cadence is extremely unnatural and hard to watch. The content covered is sometimes a little too detailed in some regards, while missing out on key elements that I (just personally, as a practicing UX designer) find to be fundamentally significant and useful. Some of the content is also worded incorrectly or seems to be prepared for a different set of content than what is actually presented, but that's rare. At the end of the course, the certificate you're presented with looks pretty bleh. I would definitely not be proud to hang it on my wall. It reminds me of the shoddy 2-minute graphic jobs that come from online scammers or other people who know little-to-nothing about graphic design, but need to quickly produce some kind of visual artifact to scam some entirely-ignorant party. Overall, I would recommend this to someone who knows nothing about UX design and has a strong passion to begin their journey into the field, but past that, a simple outline of principles and fundamentals along with a few weeks of self-education using easily-obtained online resources and references seems likely to result in broader knowledge and a better skill set, closer to real expectations of the field.

By Lukra S

Mar 27, 2021

A great introductory course! I would recommend it to everyone. Many concepts can be very useful in everyday life and provide some understanding and new perspective about everything around us.

By Xavier R

Mar 15, 2021

I think as someone who looked into UI/UX on their own time before taking any of this course this is too geared towards beginners and information felt like fluff to fill with 2 -5 min videos regurgitating the common sense principles of UX design. I've learned more in one 2hr lecture on UI/UX from a 'GDC' youtube video than this entire course series

By Fernanda G G

Mar 26, 2021

This course is incredible, even having experience as a UX I learned concepts that allowed me to connect many of my experiences, in addition to teaching me to better plan my professional growth.

By Natalie

Mar 14, 2021

Exciting start to a long journey! This course was informative and well paced, and I appreciate the consideration for people with 0 experience and background knowledge.

By Prashant N

Mar 19, 2021

This course will give you a overview of what USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN is. You will get to know about definitions of ux to different framework and tools, some deep topic such as inclusive design and equity focused design, about design sprints and finally it will get you started with building your online profile, portfolio as well as joining UX communities. I personally feel that that the WEEK 4 section might be included later on after learning all the complete process and building case studies and hence i reduced one star. The reason behind that is because i am new to UX design and i want a job in it saw within a week just by creating my profile how would i connect with people by just basic knowledge where everyone searches for proper case studies and all. But ok it like a kickstarter section which i have to always come back and look so that whenever i learn the important things in course 2,3,4,5, and 6 i could use the knowledge of this section and put it on.

By Hadas G

Mar 21, 2021

I really liked the course and I would give it a 5 but the only reason I gave it a 4 is because all the designers that were interviewed (linkedin examples, etc.) had design background, either studied it or interned/worked. I am not coming from that background at all so it was hard to relate and also it made wondered if there are people like me with diverse background who are a bit older who got a chance to work at companies like Google. If I were to improve the course I would also bring people from completely different background of design and who might be switching their career at a later stage of life to be more inclusive.

By Jessie E

Mar 19, 2021

Weeks 1-3 were very informative and helpful and helping me decide that I want to continue learning to become a UX designer. I felt that Week 4 was out of place though. Week 4 talks about building a portfolio and asks you to purchase a domain and make a website. I currently have my own website for my illustration work but I would like to wait to make a website for UX until I have something to show.

By Lai Y J

Mar 13, 2021

Most of the content is basics. But I think the Design Sprint part is great!

By Michael A

Mar 26, 2021

This course has so much content than It should have had. What could be explained in 1 minute is explained in 4 or something.

By Fábio L

Mar 22, 2021

The premise of UX Foundations was that we can learn in our own way. But now I see strict deadlines and no tools to customize it.

That is why the system does not meet my needs to reconcile work and personal responsibilities.

I don't think the advertisement was true with what was offered within the course. I was charged, missed deadlines and now I am very dissatisfied with the information.

By tierra l

Mar 23, 2021

The information presented in this course was not worth paying for. It was rudimentary at best and nothing you would be capable or proud to put on a resume. It's a gimmick, existing to draw you into a 7 step program which you will continue to pay for, not a 'short course' at all. The advertising should reflect that.

By Victoria M

By oscar l

Mar 13, 2021

A useful, enjoyable and well-produced course that gives a good introduction the area of UX Design. Great addition of topics such as equitable design.

By Chelsea N

Apr 12, 2021

This was what I was searching for! About a year ago I discovered UX Design and I fascinated by this career that was a combination of design and psychology. I did my research on the field but was still not sure if I wanted to change careers. With the affordable price and newly acquired free time I decided to enroll (I'm also a full time graphic design student).

There were many gaps in my UX career research like roles, what to put in my portfolio, and terminology. all the gaps were filled after taking this course, plus so much more. I do wish the discussion boards and community were more interactive with each other. It's nice to get a sneak peek at Google and their team members, which all seem so humble and intelligent. Who knows, maybe I could work for Google someday!

By Vita B

Apr 8, 2021

Incredible course: provides you with basics and covers a lot of different interesting topics that you would never even think of when it comes to UX design.

Enjoyed the professionalism of the videos, animations and overall experience as I was completing the course, clear speech of the teacher and other colleagues is worth mentioning as well. I'd definitely recommended this course to anyone interested in the UX design but doesn't know where to start from.

By Wassim H

Mar 22, 2021

One word, Amazing! I am doing a career shift, so I started this course with many fears and doubts in mind, but after just one course, I went from doubtful to excited. Thanks Google.

By Samuel O

Mar 21, 2021

As an aspiring US Designer, this foundation course has impacted on me all I need to know starting up as a UX designer. All thanks to Google for this amazing project.

By Annastacia R

Mar 14, 2021

Overall very helpful and informative. Occasionally I was unclear if the assignment was telling me to do my own thing or just edit someone else's .

By Ganesh

Mar 20, 2021

Really It is made simple for anyone who is kicking off into the Ux Design, Thank You very much, Michael Deandrick for this amazing course.

By Ibrahim G

Mar 12, 2021

This was really insightful and I'd definitely recommend to anyone starting out in design.

By Melanie R

Mar 26, 2021

I feel like weeks 1-3 were super beneficial for people who are new to UX Design (like myself) and are considering UX Design as a career because it focused on what UX Design is, what jobs you might work on, and how UX Designers work so it helped me really start to put myself in this role and I could actually see myself doing this as a career in the near future. Week 4 is the reason I deducted a star. For newbies, like myself, I feel like the networking is not beneficial. We barely know what UX Design is. I feel like a more helpful approach would be gently introducing us to these social media sites and prompting us to gain inspiration from other designers from these sites and then in a later course going back to these sites and being like "okay, now that you know more about UX Design and at this point are set on finishing this certificate let's talk about networking and how to do that." I do think that starting to think about your personal brand and about me pages and portfolios was helpful as that is something we have to start thinking about from the beginning in order to craft it over these next courses, but sometimes it felt like we were expected to already have our website up and running, which didn't make sense to me as newbies have no designs to showcase yet and don't fully know how we work as a designer in order to fully understand our personal brand.