Back to Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender by The University of Melbourne

What do paintings tell us about sex? How is art gendered? In this course we will study some of the world’s most beloved pictures guided by expert curators and art historians who step outside of the square, bringing a gendered reading to the masterpieces contained in the magnificent collections that we have been lucky enough to bring to the Coursera platform. In this course you will learn how: * Gender and sexuality is an integral part of the production and reception of works of art * To increase your understanding of paintings through theories of gender and sexuality * To understand key terms from gender-related theories of art history and museology * To recognise the operation of what is termed ‘the gaze’ and how it works in relation to paintings * Ideas about gender and sexuality can productively be employed in theorising art curatorial practices * To take the initiative in relating theoretical ideas about gender and sexuality to the reading and display of art and visual cultures. View the MOOC promotional video here: http://tinyurl.com/hm7qbl3...

E

Sep 12, 2019

I'm really enthused with the lesson cause I feel I had a general view before about this subject and now I m approaching the core. It;s been an issue that I was thinking a lot the last 2 years.

IC

Very interesting and complete -a great window into several art galleries (especially now, during the context of COVID-19!), styles, personalities and iconic works of art.

26 - 50 of 72 Reviews for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

By Tracey L

Jul 07, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It was so interesting and I am now looking at paintings from new perspectives and with greater depth.

By Mohamed G

Aug 25, 2016

So good course with an excellent Staff,so thanks for all and specially for University of Melbourne to give me that chance.

By Haleigh B

May 03, 2020

I very much enjoyed this course. It was full of interesting facts and stories and was easy to digest on a busy schedule.

By Natalie W

Jun 19, 2017

Great course! It has changed the way I view art. The lecturers make complex material accessible and interesting.

By JOHN Q

Apr 20, 2016

Great Course! I loved looking at the art presented with a different context and understanding. Thanks so much.

By Stella S

Jan 04, 2018

Fantastic! A great range of images and artists have been selected for study, and the concepts are fascinating.

By Catherine H

Dec 23, 2018

What a unique and interesting class!! I'm extremely happy that I took this class. Would highly recommend it!

By Carol G

Feb 03, 2019

Absolutely loved this course. It fed my soul to be guided through so many wonderful works of art.

By María C T

Oct 03, 2017

Great teachers! Good select of artists for the course and definitely interesting gender emphasis!

By Rose S

Mar 26, 2017

A brilliant course, full of surprises and challenging ideas. I can't recommend it highly enough.

By Tijana V

May 17, 2017

Excellent course for everyone who is interested in Art, Art History and Gender studies

By sara

Dec 16, 2017

Great academic approach to the Gender discussion widening my horizon.

By Nataliya

Dec 22, 2018

Very interesting course. I begin to understand art in another way.

By Anne D

Jun 24, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and would recommend it.

By abigail c

Mar 17, 2018

Very interesting and high level of explanations

By Florie L

Feb 21, 2019

Rich, rigorous and sensitive artistic insight.

By Laura F

Apr 24, 2016

Mind-blowing !!! Thank you from the heart !!!!

By Bernardino A O

Jan 22, 2017

A great course lead by very good teachers.

By Andrea C B

Jun 26, 2020

genial, muy interesante y completo !

By Ayushi

I absolutely loved the Course :")

By Rosangela B

Aug 24, 2016

Thank you! Beautiful course.

By Armin D

May 29, 2018

Thank you from Armenia !!!!

By Bart S

Jun 27, 2016

outstanding, do it again!

By Steve B