Back to General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application

Learner Reviews & Feedback for General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application by Rice University

This course will cover the topics of a full year, two semester General Chemistry course. We will use a free on-line textbook, Concept Development Studies in Chemistry, available via Rice’s Connexions project. The fundamental concepts in the course will be introduced via the Concept Development Approach developed at Rice University. In this approach, we will develop the concepts you need to know from experimental observations and scientific reasoning rather than simply telling you the concepts and then asking you to simply memorize or apply them. So why use this approach? One reason is that most of us are inductive learners, meaning that we like to make specific observations and then generalize from there. Many of the most significant concepts in Chemistry are counter-intuitive. When we see where those concepts come from, we can more readily accept them, explain them, and apply them. A second reason is that scientific reasoning in general and Chemistry reasoning in particular are inductive processes. This Concept Development approach illustrates those reasoning processes. A third reason is that this is simply more interesting! The structure and reactions of matter are fascinating puzzles to be solved by observation and reasoning. It is more fun intellectually when we can solve those puzzles together, rather than simply have the answers to the riddles revealed at the outset. Recommended Background: The class can be taken by someone with no prior experience in chemistry. However, some prior familiarity with the basics of chemistry is desirable as we will cover some elements only briefly. For example, a prior high school chemistry class would be helpful. Suggested Readings: Readings will be assigned from the on-line textbook “Concept Development Studies in Chemistry”, available via Rice’s Connexions project. In addition, we will suggest readings from any of the standard textbooks in General Chemistry. A particularly good free on-line resource is Dickerson, Gray, and Haight, "Chemical Principles, 3rd Edition". Links to these two texts will be available in the Introduction module....

ZK
Aug 28, 2015

If I'd had access to this material when I first failed freshman chemistry 40 years ago, I probably wouldn't have failed. Kudos to Dean Hutchinson for bringing us his innovative approach.

BM
Oct 1, 2018

DEMAND\n\nI would inform you that i wish to receive my certificate according to general chemistry :concept development and application, then your feed back will rejoice more thank you.

126 - 150 of 151 Reviews for General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application

By Egbuji N A

Jul 24, 2020

Good

By Prebor D

Jul 23, 2020

good

By Nwaturuocha C N

Jul 20, 2020

Good

By Juan M S

Jan 7, 2021

My review can only be positive, very positive I would say. Being a Dr. in Mechanical Engineering, now retired, who learned some Chemistry (it was never be a major in my case) when I learned Engineering in a Basque Country University, it has been a pleasure to remember half-forgotten concepts, others even never learned before. The course lessons, the details, exactness of the presentations, the capacity of Dr. Hutchinson to transmit knowledge have been a delicious experience I would recommend to anyone who would like to enter into the marvellous world of Chemistry. I look forward to finding any other complementary course by Rice University on the same area of science. As a suggestion on aspects to improve on this course I would say, please make the hand calculations and presentations by Dr. Hutchinson bigger, otherwise in their present scale they are difficult to read on screen. To sum it up : An excellent course recommendable to anyone interested in Chemistry.

By David P C

Jul 19, 2020

I'm gonna give 4 stars to the professor and the course because I learned so many things that will (hopefully) help me in the future. The professor is really intelligent, clear, and concise. That deserves recognition. However, the course could've been way much better if it wasn't for the book and the quizzes. The book is great but sometimes it gets extremely confusing and without too many details (mostly on equations, viz. some of the equations are just written there without showing the math involved). And the quizzes, well, some of them were way more challenging than just learning from the lectures. In addition, some of the questions in the quizzes aren't covered in detail during the lectures, which makes it harder.

By David D V

Aug 28, 2016

Great course! This is the first MOOC that I've completed and I had a great experience overall. The CDS system is what drew me toward this particular chemistry course and it seems like an effective and natural way to have concepts stick in your head. Very clear and easy to understand explanations are also given in the lecture videos.

My only complaints are that there are some significant typos in the quizzes, and all of the course material seems to refer to a different version of the online textbook than the one that is currently provided. If the quality of the quizzes was better and if the course was more in sync with the most up-to-date reading material I would have easily given this course 5 stars.

By Jeremy V

Aug 24, 2015

Course information is delivered in a new and exciting format. The first half of the course builds up base Chemistry ideals and Laws. The second half takes the student to places they never thought they would end up. Be sure to brush up on your College Algebra before taking. Overall a fun and challenging experience!

By Gary B

Mar 16, 2018

Over all a good intro to chemistry but found it long after a while.Perhaps breaking up the single courses into two courses each covering a semester. Found the math during the last two weeks to be a beyond me and wha tI thought was required for a basic beginner course.

By Jason A

Aug 10, 2020

It was a great course to jump start your foundation in chemistry. Quizzes are nicely tailored from the topic and tests are requires basic to intermediate level of analysis as they are comprised with easy and hard questions.

By Viktor O

Aug 24, 2015

great course! Unlike other courses, this one really helps the student make a deeper understanding of chemistry and the conceptes that built the science!

By Darren C

Jul 25, 2017

Helped me learn Chemistry from a fresh perspective! Highly recommended!

By Mauritius X

Jul 17, 2017

Very good. A quite effective way of teaching chemistry

By om p

Sep 12, 2020

This course are very useful in Chemistry subject

By Keith S

Dec 16, 2018

Very clear explanations, well presented.

By Akinmusire M O

Jul 22, 2020

IT WAS EDUCATIVE AND ENLIGHTENING.

By Tun L A

Jun 5, 2016

Very Good Videos for Chemistry!

By LILIANA G A

Apr 20, 2020

Excellent

By Bernard N I

Aug 3, 2020

Dr. Hutchinson's instruction was excellent. I would love to take a course in person. I am quite certain that he did not write the quizzes due to their lack of organization, disjointed relevance and rather hastily constructed design. Please do the following to improve the quizzes because they were not very beneficial for learning. 1) Please have an English major proofread the questions for clarity. I often could not understand exactly what was being asked. 2) Please do not include questions on material that is in future lessons or is extra-course specific. on the quizzes. I found myself consulting outside scientific sources to decipher terms used on the quiz that were not used in the course material. 3) Please be explicit with questions. Do not force the student to make assumptions or presume units. This is not done in the professional world and students should not take up the habit as they are learning.

By Christina R

Jul 17, 2020

Great college level General Chem I refresher, but would be difficult to complete if this is your first time seeing these concepts or following the mathematics.

By Neelesh S