Back to Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution by Duke University

Introduction to Genetics and Evolution is a college-level class being offered simultaneously to new students at Duke University. The course gives interested people a very basic overview of some principles behind these very fundamental areas of biology. We often hear about new "genome sequences," commercial kits that can tell you about your ancestry (including pre-human) from your DNA or disease predispositions, debates about the truth of evolution, why animals behave the way they do, and how people found "genetic evidence for natural selection." This course provides the basic biology you need to understand all of these issues better, tries to clarify some misconceptions, and tries to prepare students for future, more advanced coursework in Biology (and especially evolutionary genetics). No prior coursework is assumed....

AT

I recommend this course for someone who is interested in learning of basics of population genetics and evolutionary processes. Prof. Noor is a very good teacher and I like his explanation of concepts.

YH

Jul 04, 2017

The course is really interesting! I love the way the professor demonstrate genetics theories by countless examples and evidence. And those questions about debates in genetics are thought-provoking!

26 - 50 of 266 Reviews for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

By Dr. P C T

Aug 24, 2020

Amazing Course !! Dr. Noor is an Excellent and Commendable Professor. I wish, I could meet him someday . Thanks and Kind Regards Sir 😊🙏

By James K

Oct 18, 2020

I'm a retired engineer, but my current interest is anything to do with birds. Due to the pandemic, I was able to attend the 2020 North American Ornithological Conference virtually (first time I've attended). Many of the presentations contained phylogenetic trees that illustrated speciation in bird populations (often separated geographically). I really couldn't interpret the trees as I had no background in avian genomics (never took biology or genetics courses the entire time I was in school, although I did take a biochem course in grad school). It appears that avian genomics plays a huge part in on-going bird studies. One of the attendees at the conference suggested Dr. Noor's course as a place to start, which turned out to be a most excellent suggestion. Dr. Noor's enthusiasm and clear presentation of the subject matter made learning the material relatively easy, even for someone of my years. Dr. Noor mentioned there is a Coursera course on animal behavior which I'm going to check out. Thank you Dr. Noor for a truly great course!

By Withanage D D

Sep 03, 2020

This is the best course I did up to now. I love it. My ambition is to become a genetic engineer and I hope this course is my first step. Professor Noor is one of the best teachers I had in my life. I'm a university student and some theories were hard for me to understand in the university lectures but Professor Noor explained all those things in a simpler way. Even though the evolution part was bit hard I enjoyed this course so much.. Thanks Professor Noor..

By Taim N

Feb 11, 2017

I have just finished this course. This course was a wonderful experience. I would strongly suggest this course to anyone who is interested in the field of evolution. There are many interesting topics that are discussed in this course which will increase your appreciation for evolution. The professor's explanation is excellent. He will keep you interested in the course. The only thing that is wrong about this course is that it didn't last longer.

By Sarthak N S

Dec 04, 2019

Extremely insightful, the way he transitioned from the knowledge that I, as a high school senior am aware of, to ideas that I hadn't ever encountered before was extremely impressive. The instructor was charismatic and insightful. The quality of the course was commendable as well but it has to be noted that the audio quality was a bit off in a couple videos from weeks 1 and 2. Nevertheless, the course remained gripping and exciting throughout.

By Siddharth S

Jan 30, 2017

I absolutely enjoyed the course! The topics are well-explained and tie in together with each other, so you get a broad picture of genetics, speciation, evolution, and other concepts. The videos are backed with interesting supplemental material to read and ponder. Also, the lecturer is really interesting, not like most online courses where they simply read off notes. It's an informational and interactive course, and I highly recommend it!

By Zaneta P N N

Mar 24, 2016

Dr Noor's enthusiasm and relaxed teaching style makes even the more technical subject matter seem interesting. Although not always easy I have been compelled to keep pushing forward as I feel I am learning a great deal about myself and species around me. By far one of the best courses I have taken on this platform. I hope to continue studying the area of genetics as a result of this course. Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

By Sikandar Q

Apr 19, 2020

A very interesting course that has taught me the basics of genetics and evolution and has given me a fair direction for carrying out research in future. Dr Mohammad Noor has a wonderful way of delivering the knowledge he has acquired through his research over the period of his brilliant academic career and I recommend this course to everyone who wishes to pursue a career in the research related to Genetics

By Piret V

Sep 06, 2020

Professor Noor is a great instructor and I really enjoyed the course! It gets into Genetics and Evolution on a deeper level and you should be ready to do some math! :D It was very interesting and I learned a lot. Can recommend to everyone who want some insight on this subject or for example don't know much about it and wonder if it is something they would like to study! Only positive feelings :)

By Hamid A

Jan 13, 2018

very interesting and full of knowledge course. I learn this course very much. and Dr. Muhammad Noor is a nice person and the way of teaching is very impressive. many of my concepts about genetics and evolution clear in this course within few weeks. I specially thankful to the coursera team which give this huge platform to the people who are the seekers of knowledge. thank you again team coursera

By Arkady S

Very clear lectures requiring no background knowledge. Everything is super well explained. Now I'm able to read articles about related topics and understand them a little more. I wish the pace was a little faster but at the same time didn't want to skip ahead in case I would miss something cool. When professor Noor presents arguments supporting evolution, he can sound a little biased.

By Herman A

Apr 09, 2018

There are a lot of things to take away from this class, but what struck me the most was Dr. Noor himself. Certainly he is a role model to all his colleagues. His lecture style, slide and quiz designs all show hints of a pedagogic genius at work. He certainly makes learning easy, and I have learned a lot! I feel fully confident in my ability to delve deeper into evolution and genomics.

By leslie l

Mar 01, 2016

Great course for all. I go into a coma when it comes to doing math. I hate it. I like science so was happy to find that this course explains concepts including the math in a clear concise and comprehensible fashion. And Dr Khan is a fun dude who conveys his love of the subject in a snappy interesting manner. I would like more courses in genetics that can do this.

By Ariel A

Mar 07, 2018

As of thus far (3 weeks into the course) the course is an excellent introduction to basic genetic and evolutionary processes. The videos are taught in a manner that is entertaining almost intuitive enough to be heard without watching the slides, sort of as a long audiobook. The quizzes are free and there is much supplementary material available for deeper diving

By Artūrs B

Apr 15, 2016

Provides information from basic laws of inheritance to understanding the field of Evolutionary biology and genome sequencing. Explained in a 'light and easy to understand' way! Not a course you can pass by knowing a few facts about the subjects. Tricky at times, which help you find out if you understood everything correctly. Would recommend to others!

By Isabella D

Sep 08, 2020

I made this course when i still was in my class of evolution on college, thanks to my evolution teacher and that was the best recommendation! I'm very grateful to professor Mohammed who teach the course, he made the most difficult things become the most fascinate ones and show me more approaches for evolution.

Thank you so much professor!

By aishita m

Aug 05, 2020

Absolutely loved this course !! i learnt soo much and made me fall in love with evolution and genetics all over again. Very interesting , interactive , engaging , very well explained concepts and an amazing teacher! This was such a good learning experience . I thank everyone that made it possible for me to attend this fantastic course !!

By Mohnish S

May 06, 2020

I think this is one of the best online courses you would find related to genetics and evolution. It was a pleasure learning the basics and applications of genetics and evolution from Noor Sir. I got to explore so much and this study reconsolidated my basics. A big shout out to Dr Noor and the Coursera team for making my dreams come true.

By Tania G A

Aug 01, 2017

Wonderful course! Beautiful topic, but most importantly for this kind of teaching platforms, very very dynamic!. Dr. Noor really nailed it, he totally masters every subject of the course and puts in a easy-to-learn and motivational way. I would happily go over this course or any other given by Dr. Noor! Congratulations and thank so much!

By Martin S

Aug 08, 2016

Probably the best explained course I have ever taken in Coursera. Professor Noor makes the material easy to understand making it seem like it is a straight forward class. It is not until you try to explain to others what you have learned that you realize the material is complitaced. at making a science class simple and fun!!!

By Samuel A

Aug 25, 2019

The teacher is amazing, and videos are short, easy to understand and overall fun to listen to and learn new things if you're really interested in genetics. I just finished my AP Biology class my junior year of high school and got A's both semesters and still felt there was a ton to be learned by taking this class.

By Aaradhya S

Aug 15, 2020

This is the most brilliant introductory and intermediate course on genetics and evolutionary biology it is brilliantly taught by Prof. Noor in a way that has a effect everlasting I recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning the concepts and ideas of the field rather than marks or certificate . thank you

By Jingtian Z

Mar 13, 2020

Well, for me it's everything from scratch, I'm having fun in this course and for me, it was very hard at first, but easier towards the end. At first, I am failing, but toward the end, I am handling everything with genetics and evolution. I now kow that mutations are very often, how species evolute, and so on.

By AP

May 12, 2016

Dr. Noor is a gem. He shows enthusiasm both for his subject, and for teaching. I felt the course was well organized, and provided a good foundational understanding of genetics. Importantly, it was enjoyable. The forum moderators responded promptly, and their answers were well-informed. An excellent course.

By Asante T

Aug 14, 2020

It was Professor Mohammed Noor that really made this one for me. While the content was most certainly fascinating, it was also complex, at least for me. But Professor Noor's elegant explanations blended with down to earth humor made this course not only deeply informative, but fun and engaging also!