Back to Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution by Duke University

Introduction to Genetics and Evolution is a college-level class being offered simultaneously to new students at Duke University. The course gives interested people a very basic overview of some principles behind these very fundamental areas of biology. We often hear about new "genome sequences," commercial kits that can tell you about your ancestry (including pre-human) from your DNA or disease predispositions, debates about the truth of evolution, why animals behave the way they do, and how people found "genetic evidence for natural selection." This course provides the basic biology you need to understand all of these issues better, tries to clarify some misconceptions, and tries to prepare students for future, more advanced coursework in Biology (and especially evolutionary genetics). No prior coursework is assumed....

AT

I recommend this course for someone who is interested in learning of basics of population genetics and evolutionary processes. Prof. Noor is a very good teacher and I like his explanation of concepts.

YH

Jul 04, 2017

The course is really interesting! I love the way the professor demonstrate genetics theories by countless examples and evidence. And those questions about debates in genetics are thought-provoking!

76 - 100 of 266 Reviews for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

By Abidet R A

Aug 30, 2020

This course is amazing, it really helped me understand the core concepts of genetics and evolution.Dr. Noor presented them in an extremely clear, and easy way, hence, I totally recommend this!

By Michael H

Sep 21, 2020

A wide-ranging introduction that will make you want to read and learn more. The assessments are doable but challenging. The instructor is a widely-published expert in the field and a delight.

By Sophia A

Apr 24, 2018

Very helpful course on the introduction to genetics and evolution, with both general concepts and specialized terminology. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in this field!

By Eric H

Feb 24, 2016

If you are taking this course for a GT project, I recommend that you stop now. If you are taking this course for your own benefit (implying that they are not mutual), I rate it 5 stars.

By Shyam S

Jul 06, 2020

Perfectly designed course. Really interesting videos and tests that are actually fun to take part in. Highly recommended for everyone interested in Biology. Cheers Darwin and Wallace.

By Teresa

May 09, 2020

I loved it. It explained complex concepts in a way that was easily understandable. I also liked that it showed lots of real life examples of the concepts. The instructor was amazing.

By Manjunath H B

Feb 10, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Prof Noor Mohamed is certainly an excellent teacher. I would like the Professor and the staff for the most enjoyable learning experience I have had.

By Matt B

Mar 29, 2019

Very thorough introduction to the subject. As someone who comes from a math background, the biological terms and theory were explained very well. Dr. Noor was an excellent teacher.

By Elena Y

Dec 01, 2019

I loved this course. I found it extremely interesting and Mohamed is an incredible teacher. I wished there were more courses taught by him in coursera. Definitely would recommend!

By Tainah G S

Jul 03, 2020

Greatest of the greatests courses I've taken in this quarantine times! I've learned a lot and I'm very thankful to Prof. Noor for sharing his knowledge. Also, he's so funny haha

By CHAYANITA K

May 22, 2020

Very useful course. The way of teaching by the professor is truly recommendable. He made things easy to understand and helped to maintain interest in the course. Thank you Sir.

By Tabassum T

A good course loaded with information.

Not for anyone who feels this will be relatively easy or will not be lengthy.

Prof Noor Mohamed was awesome and made the journey enjoyable.

By Junior B

Jun 18, 2020

Best online teache you could hope for. He managed to present tricky notion in a really understandable way.

Unlike some other courses, this one has really interesting exercises

By Vaishnavi P

Jun 11, 2020

this i course was really helpful for me. i was able to thoroughly understand the basic concepts, and i surely enjoyed the quirky question in the quizzes which made it fun.

By Ahmad A

May 01, 2018

This course was really great, not too shallow and not to deep. Prof Noor is a natural, he keeps you interested throughout every video and explains the material rather well

By Maksim G

Mar 13, 2016

Dr. Noor is a very inspiring teacher. I would definitely become a geneticist if I met him in my university. The course is really interesting piece of human knowledge.

By carmen m

Dec 29, 2015

so far its been very easy to comprehend and the lectures are great. Ive already learned a ton of things I didnt previously know about evolution in the first week!

By Ezequiel G

Jun 18, 2018

Very interesting and challenging course, Dr Mohamed Noor was charismatic and fantastic lecturerThank you for the oportunity to learn about this exciting field.

By Sam C

Aug 27, 2020

I really appreciated this class and the teaching style of Prof. Noor. I learned a lot here and will continue pursuing my interest in genetics and evolution.

By Ajay B

Absolutely brilliant course! Professor Noor has explained the concepts very well. Had a fun time completing this course. I'd highly recommend this course.

By Vidya D

Jul 26, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed this course :)

Even though my major is computer science, there was a lot I learnt about which I can use during the pursuit of my major.

By Nur S B Y

Jun 09, 2020

Lecture are easily understood and the supplementary notes is also helpful for students to understand the lecture and answer the quiz with flying colours.

By Riddhi B

Jul 01, 2020

Thank you, Coursera and Prof Mohamed Noor for this amazing course. It gave me a deep knowledge of genetics and evolution. Thoroughly enjoyed the course.

By Nicla A C

Nov 17, 2017

Dr. Mohamed Noor is a fantastic teacher and with simplicity he was able to make me understand complex topics and discover the great wolrd of evolution.

By Manish G

Jun 20, 2017

A really interesting course on genetics and evolution. Clarifies the basic concepts and has thought provoking quizzes. Very well presented by Dr Noor.