Back to Getting Started with Essay Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started with Essay Writing by University of California, Irvine

Course 2: Getting Started with Essay Writing This is the second course in the Academic English: Writing specialization. By introducing you to three types of academic essays, this course will especially help prepare you for work in college classes, but anyone who wants to improve his or her writing skills can benefit from this course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - create effective thesis statements for your essays - plan and write compare/contrast, cause/effect, and argument essays - write well-developed body paragraphs Note: The lectures and practice activities are available for free, but you must upgrade to the pay version in order to take the quizzes and get feedback on writing assignments....

MU
Feb 10, 2016

I always loved writing. What I didn't know, however, was that writing had some scientific structures that could make it very interesting. Take this course and know why. I took and was very successful.

BD
Nov 16, 2015

Thank you for teaching me how to write basic essays. This has been one of my most important goals for years. I've tried several other ways of learning but your method worked for me. Thank you so much.

601 - 625 of 759 Reviews for Getting Started with Essay Writing

By Alex B

Jul 14, 2020

Great course! Very hands-on and great videos and exercises. The problem lies in some of the people taking this course, who are not serious enough and tend to plagiarise and to provide you with limited and useless feedback. I also feel some of them do not even pay attention to the marking criteria. I think that an instructor should provide reviews on the essays, not other students.

By Karim M

Oct 20, 2016

The course wonderful and just suffer from some shortcomings. First, it assess by the peers, sometime people just say "great", "wonderful". It surely don't help students who come here to improve themselves. Next, sometimes it is take too much time for assessments. There is no forum or somewhere that you can discuss about the course. There in one to ask about your ambiguity.

By Christian R B C

Jun 12, 2020

I like this course; I learned a lot of new things to improve my writing skills. I recommend it to you completely. However, this course has 2 negative points that it could improve: 1) evaluation system of essays (I think that it is not very good because it doesn't evaluate the essay structure); and 2) I hate that all the exercises needed Mozilla.

By Ishari M

Sep 8, 2020

Thank you for giving this opportunity. I would like to add some points regarding this course. It is better if there's a way to grade our assignments by the experts rather than by peers since most of us are non native speakers. and when grading assignments, it is better if the course can focus on the content of our essays. Thank you!

By Kaushik G

Mar 31, 2017

It is great course for beginners who wish to learn how to write the essay. This course will build your foundation and their idea of peer review and topic practice will help you to make this foundation solid. I have greatly effected with this course and now i am able to write a 5 paragraph essay in a well manner.

Thanks

By Agim Z

Dec 12, 2016

All I wanted was to understand what a basic thesis question was, and what was considered an acceptable, basic, entry-level academic essay. I think this course delivered well enough. I only audited it, and I have thought since that I should have paid the money so I could have gotten more feedback on the assignments.

By Susan B

Oct 21, 2020

"Getting Started with Essay Writing" is an interesting and informative course. I found the video lectures to be easy to understand, and the exercises helpful. I learned a great deal about the format for building an essay, and about different types of essays, and how and when to use each kind. Highly recommend.

By Abdul-Jabbar B

Feb 8, 2016

The course itself is exceptional. Instructor elaborates everything perfectly, but it takes really longer time to receive peer-reviews to pass the course. Also course doesn't have any forums where students can post that they need peer-reviews (which can be helpful to finish the course in timely manner).

By Star

May 21, 2016

It was a fun course, and throughout the course I learnt the fundamental basics of essay writing. Only thing that could be improved on is to put some example essays for students to read as an assignment, and go through it afterwards. Also to talk a little faster.

By ElSayed M

Apr 4, 2016

Getting Started with Essay Writing helps me improve my writing, and changes my point of view toward essays.

But we need a feedback on the assignment essays from the instructor or any specialist, the peers review is not enough.

Thank you!

By Shirley T

Jun 8, 2020

Great course overall for people with average writing skills looking to improve, but the peer review just doesn't work. Others don't give you feedback, often don't even read your work and just give you an automatic 80% or 60%.

By Assem I

Aug 31, 2020

The course was great. The first time I wrote the essay it took me almost a day, but then it got easier and easier. Thank you for instructors and my classmates. I wish the peer review focused on the content of the essays too.

By Robert E L

Mar 14, 2016

I think the course is very good, but the peer review grading should be improved! Sometime, people have to wait for more than 3 weeks to get their assignment graded, or they don't know whether they will get the grade. Thanks!

By Sujjitra K

May 2, 2016

It's a good course for anyone who wants to start writing as it shows you the variety of methods. I personally gained a lot from the lectures. Likewise, the additional links and the assignments were very useful. Thank you!

By Laura M G B

Jan 26, 2017

I like this course a lot, Professor Tamy Chapman is very good, she explains everything in a way that makes it feel easy to understand. But I would like that the teacher was the one to review our homework submissions

By Masoud H A

Jul 14, 2020

I have enjoyed the course from the start to the end, some of the self-taught videos were not operative. Other than that, I would recommend the course to whoever wishes to understand the fundamentals of essay writing.

Feb 26, 2016

It is a very good course. However, I must admit that is discouranging making the course because when you do the course free you do not have the opportunity to make all the excercises. Despite that, it is very good.

By Natalia A L

Jun 3, 2019

When checking some of the reading exercises that open in a new tab, I noticed I don't have permissions to see the contents of them. Suggested to check a better way to share these contents with the students.

By Irais M C

Apr 6, 2016

This course was a little confusing, specially because this was my first experience writing Essays.

On the other hand, the feed back was super slow. I still don't know how did I do with all of my assignments.

By Perkash K P

Apr 29, 2020

I am feeling very satisfied with the course I've completed. This was really a wonderful experience for me to learn all types of essays in such a short period of time. Thank you UCIrvine and coursera.

By Amogh P

Feb 26, 2017

Course material was good. But, I was hoping the essay corrections and feedback will be given by experienced teachers/instructors, was disappointed at this as it was given by the fellow students!

By dina r

Nov 24, 2015

It is super nice, but still needs more challenging concepts, sometimes I found it was mostly information I knew while it could be something I never paid attention to regarding the subject.

By Rodrigo A M P

Jun 3, 2020

It is one good course to start developing writing skills, but I wish the final weekly assessment focused more on the learned kind of essays, than only focusing on the essay format.

By Ingrid d s o

Aug 18, 2020

It helped me to better organize ideas and structuring an essay before writing it, but I cannot say I don't miss the support and evaluation of a real teacher instead of a peer.

By Ashish P

Jan 12, 2017

A very good course for those who want to learn English composition or essay writing, or both. If you are looking for developing your writing skill, you must give it a try.