Back to Getting Started with Essay Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started with Essay Writing by University of California, Irvine

Course 2: Getting Started with Essay Writing This is the second course in the Academic English: Writing specialization. By introducing you to three types of academic essays, this course will especially help prepare you for work in college classes, but anyone who wants to improve his or her writing skills can benefit from this course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - create effective thesis statements for your essays - plan and write compare/contrast, cause/effect, and argument essays - write well-developed body paragraphs Note: The lectures and practice activities are available for free, but you must upgrade to the pay version in order to take the quizzes and get feedback on writing assignments....

EB

Dec 05, 2015

I am only on the second week an have done my essay and feel very powerful. English is not my first language but the instructor made it easy for me by detailing every aspect of essay writing. Thank you

BD

Nov 17, 2015

Thank you for teaching me how to write basic essays. This has been one of my most important goals for years. I've tried several other ways of learning but your method worked for me. Thank you so much.

451 - 466 of 466 Reviews for Getting Started with Essay Writing

By harpa ó

Dec 02, 2015

It was okay.

By Patricia

Feb 26, 2016

I took the first class in this specialization. I liked that enough to enroll in the second class, however I did not realize that it was being taught by the same teacher. Nothing against her, she certainly taught the class and met the objectives, she just speaks too slow/articulates too precisely for me. Also, I was not aware that Coursera changed the auditing policy. As an auditor, I am no longer able to participate in the assignments or quizzes in this class. Without the ability to do the assignments and receive peer feedback, it seems pointless to continue the class. Furthermore, there was a problem with the practice exercises... You need to download an app to do the practice, which I did several times, but the lessons or assignments never worked. I sent notes to coursera about this with no reply. The low rating is primarily based on the fact that I could not do the practice assignments and that coursera took away the ability to complete assignments and take quizes.

By Sharon S

Feb 17, 2016

There is absolutely no supervision on this course. My essay has been sitting in a student review cue for two months now - so, no completion of course and the program has the audacity to mark me as 'late submission'. I have reviewed 7 papers (requirement of 3) and am shown as being deficient. It is as if I dropped into a void.

I paid a decent amount of money to attend this course and very disappointed that it is simply run on auto pilot with no place to go for resolution, questions or help.

I would NOT recommend taking this course and would better advise you to find something in another online teaching program or course within Coursera that has at least a modicum of personal interaction.

By Miriam R

Mar 09, 2017

The video lectures were good, the tests were almost a give away and the essays were an opportunity to practice what I learned from the lectures. My only BIGGEST disappointment is that the essays were evaluated by students like me. I received evaluations that doesn't tell me much or evaluations that doesn't make sense. If I only knew that this course was not an instructor supervised course, I would have been willing to pay extra money just to get a professional to assess my essay and provide me with feedback. At this point, I am disappointed that I decided to just watch the videos but skip the peer-reviewed essays and make the most of what I paid for.

By Lingfei T

Dec 11, 2015

While some of the materials are interesting in this course, it gives a very "high school" feel rather than providing help with college essay writing. It would be helpful to have this course more geared towards college academic writing and have more emphasis on developing ideas, finding resources to support ideas, synthesizing, paraphrasing and all the other skills useful for college academic writing.

I assume most people who come to Coursera are above high school level. Some of the materials like the monkey example are a bit too childish and the sample articles can be too simple to be appropriate to learners at this level.

By Bruce B

May 25, 2016

I have yet to have ANY of my essays reviewed, although I have finished every requirement of the course. I"m very disappointed. I hope that the directions given to me by the course attendants will correct this problem, however.

By Saurabh S

Feb 07, 2016

i think, this course content is a bit dependent on thought process..

it changes with individuals

By SUSAN S H

Feb 19, 2016

I am learning a lot but I can not afford to pay.

By Hannah T

Feb 04, 2016

Perhaps this class would be good for a non - native english speaker. I went through the first, maybe, five videos. From what I could tell, I learned all of the stuff in this class by the age of 10. If this class is for people who english is a second language, it should be more obviose.

By Jasper N

Sep 14, 2016

Very general, and knowledge you could easily acquire from the web. The only difference is the presentation of the information is stretched over an hour worth of video. The most useful part of this course however is the walk-through examples provided.

By Rebecca E

Feb 22, 2016

Didn't learn much of anything at all, the peer review system is lazy on the Teacher's part, and half of my classmates couldn't even speak proper English, let alone write it.

By Brian C

Jan 05, 2020

Do you want to bill four times for this? No help center to contact except only garbage...

I would never recommend anyone for this course... fuck!!!

By Suheyla C

May 16, 2016

Totally disorganized, mis-managed, unfairly graded course!

By Edward S

Oct 24, 2019

Very mediocre, basic and poor calification system.

By Sarah E M