Back to GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality

Learner Reviews & Feedback for GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality by University of California, Davis

In this course, the second in the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization, you will go in-depth with common data types (such as raster and vector data), structures, quality and storage during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn about data models and formats, including a full understanding of vector data and raster concepts. You will also learn about the implications of a data’s scale and how to load layers from web services. Week 2: Create a vector data model by using vector attribute tables, writing query strings, defining queries, and adding and calculating fields. You'll also learn how to create new data through the process of digitizing and you'll use the built-in Editor tools in ArcGIS. Week 3: Learn about common data storage mechanisms within GIS, including geodatabases and shapefiles. Learn how to choose between them for your projects and how to optimize them for speed and size. You'll also work with rasters for the first time, using digital elevation models and creating slope and distance analysis products. Week 4: Explore datasets and assess them for quality and uncertainty. You will also learn how to bring your maps and data to the Internet and create web maps quickly with ArcGIS Online. Take GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. You should have equivalent experience to completing the first course in this specialization, Fundamentals of GIS, before taking this course. By completing the second class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program....

LT

Dec 26, 2018

Great course. Quite challenging, huge amount of info shared and employed in the assignments. This makes the course very thorough yet as mentioned, challenging to complete. Not for the faint at heart!

May 01, 2016

Awesome..... The lectures are very helpful to the students or gis learners who wants to do some on-line, especially the final project was awesome... i really enjoyed and learned much more things...

51 - 75 of 215 Reviews for GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality

By Eduardo D

Jan 20, 2018

I decided to take all the five courses believing it would be a challenge, both because of the motivation and the difficulty. The program reveled to be very useful and well structured, and the instructor turns it into a pleasure, making it easy and enjoyable. I'm definitely satisfied.

By Vierah H

Mar 29, 2018

I had taken the Fundamentals in GIS course and after completing that decided to continue with GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality. Being an Earth Scientist I have been exposed and have used GIS previously. I have also taken courses on foundation GIS courses. I have been very impressed with the level of the courses in this series. Dr. Santos is knowledgeable and the material is relevant, and interesting. I particularly enjoyed the exercises that allow me to practice the skill sets acquired during the lectures.

By Harmen C M

Dec 30, 2017

I like the setup and have learned quite a lot. It's just the 2nd course, but I already feel I have learned about a series of important and powerfull tools.

By Diana D

Feb 09, 2017

Easier than I expected to follow. Great help in forums.

By Arnold T

May 23, 2016

Awesome course. Comprehensive content. Great lecturer. Proper labs. I like how this course does not just let you wade through learning GIS, because the technical level is high. You'll be a pro after going through all these courses

By Rich W

May 08, 2016

Fascinating, really well taught with good assignment! Looking for to the rest of the specialisation!

By Crystal R M

May 01, 2016

Great class for expanding your GIS foundation skills. Learn to create and edit features; determine slope, elevation, and distance; upload your content to ArcGIS web maps.

By Nathan D

May 29, 2016

Well paced, well structured, good fun.

By Sameera T

Aug 22, 2016

Had fun learning about map making in depth.

By Jhohan G

Aug 22, 2016

Excellent course, easy to understand. may give you a few headache if you don't have the correct ArcMap Version but

By Cornelia H

Jul 23, 2017

The course was great to understand even more about the principles of using ArcGIS. With the final assignment done I feel like I can actually work through some workflows by myself now and I'm looking forward to the next course in the specialization to learn even more.

By ughemetani u

Dec 05, 2017

Great course and well loaded.

By Melissa P

Aug 12, 2016

This course is fantastic for people interested in getting practical experience of using ArcGIS

By William H

Aug 11, 2016

Thoroughly enjoyed the course! The lectures are well structured and organized and the assignments are very supportive.

By Abdirahman M

Oct 02, 2017

This is a great course. The instructor, tutorials and other materials are amazing. You will learn how create, edit and analyze vector as well as raster data. The final assignment is so challenging but inspiring, if you finish it successfully you will really ask for more. One of the best online courses I have ever took.

By MA X

Jun 25, 2016

Very useful.

By Safuwan A

Nov 16, 2016

The video lectures and the course assignments are all challenging; and that moves my urge to go on & on...

I love this course

By Huanglei P

Dec 27, 2017

I highly suggest people who have finished the fundamental course to take this course because it is also a really important part to master the basic contents of ArcGIS

By M.Bashir K

Aug 04, 2017

Brilliant Course

By Siaka N

Aug 16, 2017

It wonderful completing this course as it broaden my GIS knowledge and give me the opportunity to do more.

By Soft T

Jun 11, 2018

good study materials. love the course

By Kasi P

Mar 01, 2017

I had a very pleasant experiential learning.

By Artur H

Jul 26, 2016

Great! Much fun to have the guest lecturer as well :) Thanks!

By Andrés F P R

May 08, 2016

Great course, I loved all the workflows and started thinking way more like a GIS Analyst. Hope I can make my own workflows soon.

By dophuong