Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

Apr 07, 2018

Fantastic Course! It helps you build a deep insight into the evolution of graphic design and also as a process of the assignments helps you understand local graphic practices and subculture!

1 - 25 of 217 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Taylor A H

Feb 22, 2019

This was a good course but I feel like a lot of students interpreted the assignments in multiple ways. Some would submit their work with ideas that I would never have imagined, which could be seen as a creative and good thing, but when it comes to an assignment, I would think a literal interpretation of the assignment is what is needed. This happened to a lot of the courses in this Graphic Design course, and not just this one. I just happened to notice it more with this particular course.

By Oluwasola M

Jul 29, 2019

Every designer needs to know the history behind forms, function and design style and trends that informs visual communication in the modern world. And that's was why I took the course, it was such a great learning.

By Boula N S

Jul 24, 2019

It is a great course.

By Daria N

Nov 29, 2018

Excellent insight into history, many interesting examples, it was very informative. Thanks for the course!

By Madison

Jan 11, 2019

Incredibly interesting to learn the history of graphic design and the influences of it, and those early designers. There's so much more meaning and intention behind it than I knew. The course is also set up in a great way that is informational and really interesting, but does not force learning or busy-work in any way.

By Karla V A P

Jan 11, 2019

Excellent courses, i learned a lot and i can recognize and converse about topics in arts and graphics. It keeps interested in different designs and now i can have another look and criticism in art, mode and graphics. I recommend it to those who are interested in art in general and its history.

By Tina L O Z

Jan 14, 2019

I have enjoyed the course very much. I find the lectures and resources are inspiring and the assignments give you enough room to go light or deep into the topic by displaying our own examples from research. Looking forward to taking more in the series on Design!

By Julie S

Jan 14, 2019

This course definitely expanded my view of art and design in history. I'm not much into history and so had a hard time at first getting into the course, but the further I went, the more interesting it became. I really enjoyed and benefited from the assigned projects. It was a good course.

By Inas A M T

Feb 23, 2019

Amazing

By Ekaterina D

Jan 18, 2019

Very interesting course. here you can get acquainted with the history of design in different countries, as well as learn the basics

By 瞿睿

Apr 01, 2019

I really think the materials are well organized. For beginners like me, it offers so much inspiration. Good course!

By LU F

Apr 02, 2019

Great information.

By Marco A V R

Mar 12, 2019

excelente

By Fatima H S E I S

Mar 13, 2019

Perfect course and very useful

By Benjamin g

Mar 09, 2019

Great look into graphic design and how history affects design.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Renee T

Feb 11, 2018

I've learned so many new design ideas. The history behind it all is fascinating.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Rebecca C K

Aug 29, 2016

Very informative and full of fun facts

By Susan M

Mar 24, 2017

Excellent introduction to applied visual research. *Ideas from the History of Graphic Design* opened my mind and got me super excited about the usefulness, in fact the necessity of strong visual research. I've found reading design history interesting before, but this course and the assignments helped me make the leap from merely looking for ideas to actual design thinking, with visual research as a core methodology.

By maria K

Oct 21, 2017

i love history of graphic design!

By Oluwaseun O O

Oct 23, 2016

i hatehistory as a subject but i love this course. some great ideas from the past still being used today

By hari

Nov 07, 2016

Great course!! very insightful!

By Tawana D W

Mar 20, 2018

This course is fast paced and very informative. I really like how well organized each lesson appears.

By Angelica B

Feb 12, 2017

I learnt so many things in this course and it has given me a new perspective when looking at graphic design. Through thus course I have learnt the importance of looking at the history of graphic design and learning from other designers.