Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

176 - 200 of 235 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Bamprasetio

Dec 04, 2019

this is really great, small bites at a time

By Egle H

Dec 03, 2019

Great course, learned a lot.

By namrata

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By John M

Dec 06, 2019

This was a great foundation course to graphic design. I enjoyed it.

By Valentina S

Dec 05, 2019

That was very informative and inspiring. I wish all the courses could be like this one.

By Alexandra K M

Mar 06, 2019

I't was good

By Kelly J

Dec 05, 2016

Useful intro to the history of graphic design. The quizzes could have been more challenging though or involved doing more independent research on some of the graphic design periods discussed.

By Cameron S

Apr 12, 2017

Nice and informative

By Hannah M C

Aug 21, 2017

It's a lovely course and the lecturers are great, but it focus mostly on American design or the impact of other designers in the USA. I would love to learn more about non-USA design.

By Hector E

Aug 30, 2016

Although this course is rich in content, it lacks a lot of perspective around The History of Graphic Design, since it only talks from the american point of view.

By Vijayasundaram M

Mar 01, 2017

The course was well structured; and provided opportunity to seek and learn more on the topics dicussed

By Kolya K

Mar 30, 2018

Great Course, got lot of knowledge. A little short and required to continuing studying on your own.

By Tigran G

Nov 12, 2017

All was very good, but if after every video put a little quiz it will be better to understand and remember the material

By Indah P

May 18, 2017

I learned many things from this lecture! Not just the information about the history itself, but also how those graphic designer in late era came out with ideas. Their thinking, their purpose, their effect and inspiration to the new designer. Great!

By Nene W

Feb 22, 2017

I learnt quite alot about design luminaries. Would prefer if it was truely global but still a very interesting course

By Abayomi B

Apr 08, 2017

This course is very informative and inspiring.

By Maria B

Sep 12, 2017

i would prefer more insight into the european design

By E. C C

Apr 06, 2017

Solid, if minimal introduction to some points from the History of Graphic Design.

By Clara

Jul 27, 2016

it gives a good understanding of graphic design evolution from post second WW to contemporary time. Very focused on American design.

By Lauren M

Jul 18, 2017

I didn't feel like I learned much from this course that I didn't learn in the intro course. I understand there are a lot of way to make and display images, but I didn't think the assignments were that helpful.

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Interesting and informative. More historic and research based than creating and doing. The professeur's lectures were bit fragmented and scattered at times which made it more difficult to follow, but great information overall.

By Nicole S

May 24, 2018

Good course, wish had more time to get a big picture perspective.

By Jai C

Aug 02, 2017

It was a wonderful course. I have designed things but never took a formal design education. I think knowing the history of a particular field helps. It gives you a picture of how things evolved to be what they are today. I would not have known where to start even if I wanted to learn history of graphic design. This course has given me a good start. Now I can go deeper in that study. Thank you

By 当英直

Oct 24, 2016

Clear pattern of graphic design history!