Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

176 - 200 of 243 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Dec 13, 2019

Great

By chise

Feb 09, 2020

good

By ognjen r

May 07, 2017

nice

By Jai C

Aug 02, 2017

It was a wonderful course. I have designed things but never took a formal design education. I think knowing the history of a particular field helps. It gives you a picture of how things evolved to be what they are today. I would not have known where to start even if I wanted to learn history of graphic design. This course has given me a good start. Now I can go deeper in that study. Thank you

By Maneesh P

Jun 04, 2017

It was interesting learning about the history of graphic design the only reason I didn't give the course 5 stars is the course didn't really have many opportunities for students to work on their own graphic design. Courses 1 through 3 were all about creation this felt more like a survey course studying the history of the field, while interesting I am more fascinated with the art of making.

By Tereza K

Aug 13, 2018

I've learned a lot thanks to this course. It is a great part of whole specialization because of the brief introduction to the history. It is very clearly described and inspiring. Actually I would appreciate to continue with my education about history :) So I can just recommend this course.

By Sushen W

Sep 05, 2017

It was great learning all about the foundation of Graphic Design,how it originated,where it started,about Bauhaus,about all the famous graphic designers of the 19th century,about the subcultures etc. It was a course that made me take a step back and learn about history.:)

By Indah P

May 18, 2017

I learned many things from this lecture! Not just the information about the history itself, but also how those graphic designer in late era came out with ideas. Their thinking, their purpose, their effect and inspiration to the new designer. Great!

By Teri L

Jul 21, 2018

A really nice set of lessons to teach you about what brought about graphic design in the first place. Peer-reviewed assignments and quizzes make sure you're understanding every part (especially the most essential). Really enjoyed it!

By Megan C

Aug 15, 2016

This was a very interesting and informative addition to this specialization. I loved the lecturer's style, and found this to be one of my favourite offerings so far. Very much looking forward to the capstone course and project.

By Elizabeth O

Dec 18, 2017

Interesting and informative. More historic and research based than creating and doing. The professeur's lectures were bit fragmented and scattered at times which made it more difficult to follow, but great information overall.

By David M

Nov 04, 2019

It was fun and helpful to view other designer's work through different generations. This course was a great way to view references and become inspired with certain techniques and new approaches to graphic design.

By Lauren M

Jul 18, 2017

I didn't feel like I learned much from this course that I didn't learn in the intro course. I understand there are a lot of way to make and display images, but I didn't think the assignments were that helpful.

By Joly F Z

Aug 08, 2018

It gives a quick overview of key milestones in graphic design history through examples. It is very enjoyable and I have learnt to analyse the design thinking behind different work and appreciate design more.

By Liangchi C

Nov 20, 2017

Through this course, I have learned many great examples of graphic design and how people convey ideas through image over the last centuries. I would like to develop my own style after seeing others' works.