Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design in the West. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Students will develop an understanding of where the wide variety of today’s design practice comes from. By participating in this survey of the works of innovative groups and individuals, we outline the process by which graphic design moved from a purely instrumental practice, to becoming a demanding creative and hybridized field. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required. A note about this course: This course is taught from the perspective of contemporary design, to connect ideas that helped formulate design practice from the 1850s through the 1960s to the ways that designers think today. The relationship of words and pictures in graphic design is looked at through the ever-changing social and cultural contexts, technologies, aesthetics, and politics of their eras. The definition and practice of graphic design includes all public visual communications, which is a global practice. It was the evolution of mass production and communication in the West that specifically redefined graphic design as a professional practice and is this course’s particular narrative. We hope students will consider how to connect the themes and ideas offered in this course to your own culture....

PD
Nov 26, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD
Dec 4, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

76 - 100 of 434 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Jordan L P

Sep 13, 2020

It was extremely educational and helpful for me to learn design from its earliest forms up to the modern era that are all applicable for use in contemporary design forms and factors.

By Amy C

Nov 7, 2018

This should be one of the first courses. Students, especially English Language Learners need the front loading of the topic. It would ideally help clarify the idea of graphic design.

By Mohammad A H

It was amassing course for amateur learner. Historical development of design and contemporary designing concept. As it is essential for a designer to understand concept of design.

By Michael N K S M

I love the materials and how they are structured along with the quizzes and the assignments. They really help students to grasp the concepts of design history and design studies.

By Assel N

Sep 10, 2016

This course gave me a lot of important information about the birth and rise of the Graphic Design as a stand alone profession. It was a great opportunity to fulfil my knowledge.

By Mangazico A

Oct 29, 2017

it was one of the best online courses that has coursera the lectures are really enjoyable i had a great time and most important I earn a lot about the history of Graphic design

By Stephanie O

Feb 26, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Aleksandar J

Jun 10, 2019

Completely satisfied with this course. I learned a lot about history of graphic design and its influence in modern graphic design. Would recommend this course to anybody!

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

this is the pest part of Graphic design previous courses, I love it because i see much more about designing in diffrent eras, really this is helpful course for everyone.

By Julie W

Apr 10, 2020

This was my favorite Coursera course so far. Extremely engaging content, great instructors. I found myself researching each week's topics independently when I finished.

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Viktoriya F

Apr 21, 2021

Thanks a lot for the course. It was very interesting to see connection between Victorian designs from 19th century and contemporary designs of different subcultures,

By Amra S M

Jul 26, 2020

The course is fun and very informative. I learned alot from the 19th century, symbols and The origin of neon colors. Thank you for the interesting topics. Cheers!

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Norman K

Nov 15, 2020

Very great lecturers and course materials. The assignments and quizzes are very thought-provoking and allow for a great dive into more research on graphic design

By Regina J

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoyed learning about the overview and history of graphic design. It makes me want to learn more about what is outside of the scope of this class.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By Doaa A E A S

Dec 1, 2020

In this course I learned history of designs I never imagine that I will learn in a day and I love keep searching in history of design many thanks for you 😊

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By TOMAS G D

Apr 6, 2021

very clear about the birth of design and its evolution, the example of sister Corita Kent fascinated me, thank you for all this education and information.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.